Is the world flat or round?

The shape of the earth.

• Round - It's simple physics, the earth can't be any shape but round, like all the other planets.

Votes: 264 77.9%
  • Round - I just believe what the schools tell me, why would they lie?

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Flat - I've done my own research and come to my own conclusion about it.

Votes: 9 2.7%
  • Flat - I don't need anyone to tell me the shape because I can clearly see that it's flat, like duh.

Votes: 16 4.7%
  • Who cares - I just don't care, like what difference does that make to my life anyway?

Votes: 24 7.1%
  • A singularity - The true shape of the earth can never be known.

Votes: 24 7.1%

• Total voters

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Still wrong. If the earth was flat, the triangle would move with you if you maintained "level" flight ......
If the earth was round, the triangle would still move with you if you maintained "level" flight.
Assume of course the earth is a completely smooth ball.
A level in a plane is determined by barometric pressure not by measuring one of the legs of the triangle. ( AGL).
I’m not following you now.

I’m saying if the pilot was using the horizon to maintain a level and the earth was flat, the altitude would constantly drop because it would be flying along a hypotenuse relative to the ground.

So he’d take off, level his nose at the horizon at whatever level, and immediately start his gradual descent just by way of using the horizon to keep level, eventually of course crashing into the wall of ice at the end of the earth.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
No this is the very reason why the flat earthers and the Creationists all fall flat (pun intended) when applying Science to defend their arguments. They use the WRONG science to fight their case or even if they did use the right science, they apply it incorrectly to prove their case, which is what you are doing here.

Assuming the earth was flat, it would imply that barometric pressure would be equal everywhere and inversely proportional to AGL, which would mean that a pilot using is instruments to maintain" level flight would continue to fly parallel to the surface of the earth.

Find a different aspect of science an maths to prove your case that the earth is flat.

Last edited:

Temujin

Executive Member
Still wrong. If the earth was flat, the triangle would move with you if you maintained "level" flight ......
If the earth was round, the triangle would still move with you if you maintained "level" flight.
Assume of course the earth is a completely smooth ball.
A level in a plane is determined by barometric pressure not by measuring one of the legs of the triangle. ( AGL).
The higher you are the further you can see. On globe, you see further around curve, if it were flat, inorder to maintain the 'edge' eye level, the plane would need to change altitude as it gets closer to the edge, closer to it, lower, further away, higher. Make sense? That would mean, closer to the edge, say flying around sa or aus, planes would have to stay low so the 'edge' remains eye level, and in center, would have to be remain high(opens up a whole new problem with taking off and landing, but I'm guessing nasa agents just knock everyone out and plant fake memories of that)

Spizz

Goat Botherer
No this is the very reason why the flat earthers and the Creationists all fall flat (pun intended) when applying Science to defend their arguments. They use the WRONG science to fight their case or even if they did use the right science, that apply it incorrectly to prove their case, which is what you are doing here.

Assuming the earth was flat, it would imply that barometric pressure would be equal everywhere and inversely proportional to AGL, which would mean that a pilot using is instruments to maintain" level flight would continue to fly parallel to the surface of the earth.

Find a different aspect of science an maths to prove your case that the earth is flat.
I'm not sure of you are really busy or what, but I'm not trying to defend anything and nothing serious os going on here. What started off as being silly turned into what I think is actually quite clever as a way of disproving the earth is flat.

No one is talking about barometric pressure or how a plane actually maintains levels. It is merely a frivolous exercise showing that of a plane uses the horizon to stay level and the earth is flat, it will constantly lose altitude and ultimately crash at the end of the earth.

Temujin

Executive Member
No pilot looks at the horizon out of the window to maintain flight.
Of course not... ie, world isn't flat. Or, nasa agents have programed planes to automatically change height for edge to remain eye level and feeding pilots false readings of their actual altitude

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I'm not sure of you are really busy or what, but I'm not trying to defend anything and nothing serious os going on here. What started off as being silly turned into what I think is actually quite clever as a way of disproving the earth is flat.

No one is talking about barometric pressure or how a plane actually maintains levels. It is merely a frivolous exercise showing that of a plane uses the horizon to stay level and the earth is flat, it will constantly lose altitude and ultimately crash at the end of the earth.
I know what you are trying to do, and I am not saying you are trying to prove the flat earth case either. :D

All this is tongue in cheek debate on the futility of the flat earth case. :p

The flat earthers are all such poor scientists that they can't even construct an accurate mathematically and scientifically sound hypothesis to try and prove their theory.

Whatever they do, whether it is using lasers and distance to the horizon, or any other technique to prove the earth is flat is always a failure because they have no clue about the scientific principles they use.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
If you fly directly towards the horizon you hit the ground regardless of whether the earth is flat or round.

See my awesome artwork:
View attachment 638626
Where's the monsters?

But, erm, no. Think of the plane in the round earth as flying parallel to the ground so like a railway track the rails never meet and the distance stays the same.

Flat earth? Gotcha.

Jehosefat

Expert Member
Where's the monsters?
Already addressed. Please see above.

But, erm, no. Think of the plane in the round earth as flying parallel to the ground so like a railway track the rails never meet and the distance stays the same.

Flat earth? Gotcha.
So fly parallel to the ground on a round earth but towards the ground on a flat earth? Either both must be flying towards the horizon or both must be flying parallel to the ground otherwise you're not proving anything.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Already addressed. Please see above.
Noted. Apologies.

So fly parallel to the ground on a round earth but towards the ground on a flat earth? Either both must be flying towards the horizon or both must be flying parallel to the ground otherwise you're not proving anything.
You climb up the Burj Khalifa and you can still see a horizon. Same at 35000 ft, it's still away over there somewhere. Now look at the horizon from your pilots seat through the airplane window and maintain that same altitude (I know Geoff), and you are going to be flying parallel to the ground because the horizon is not a fixed point on a round earth. So round and round you go until you run out of fuel.

But it is of course a fixed point on a flat earth (the edge) so you'll hit it eventually.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Noted. Apologies.

You climb up the Burj Khalifa and you can still see a horizon. Same at 35000 ft, it's still away over there somewhere. Now look at the horizon from your pilots seat through the airplane window and maintain that same altitude (I know Geoff), and you are going to be flying parallel to the ground because the horizon is not a fixed point on a round earth. So round and round you go until you run out of fuel.

But it is of course a fixed point on a flat earth (the edge) so you'll hit it eventually.
You will only hit the edge if you go south. In any other direction you can still go round and round in circles.