Is the world flat or round?

The shape of the earth.

• Round - It's simple physics, the earth can't be any shape but round, like all the other planets.

Votes: 270 78.3%
  • Round - I just believe what the schools tell me, why would they lie?

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Flat - I've done my own research and come to my own conclusion about it.

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • Flat - I don't need anyone to tell me the shape because I can clearly see that it's flat, like duh.

Votes: 16 4.6%
  • Who cares - I just don't care, like what difference does that make to my life anyway?

Votes: 24 7.0%
  • A singularity - The true shape of the earth can never be known.

Votes: 24 7.0%

• Total voters

Sinbad

Honorary Master
OK, let me ask a 5 year old appropriate question then: if the world is flat, what makes down down? If there is a down axis to the universe what's at the bottom?
And what holds the earth up?

daveza

Honorary Master
And what holds the earth up?
You mean down.

Earth has no weight in space so the denser vacuum molecules should force it on an upwards trajectory.

Edit:

What, this is more laughable than a flat earth ?

Hellhound105

Expert Member
The same way as real science has taught us. The only lie is that "gravity" is keeping it down on a spherical earth.

How can gravity be strong enough to hold down the heavy waters onto this so called "round" earth while at the same time it cant keep something as light as a bird from flying into the sky?

Q: Why is water been used in certain instruments to judge if various objects in construction are level?
A: Water always find its level.

The water cant exists the way it does on a globe earth. It would have been at the bottom of a spherical earth.
Cut the birds wings see it stick to the ground

newklear

The same way as real science has taught us. The only lie is that "gravity" is keeping it down on a spherical earth.

How can gravity be strong enough to hold down the heavy waters onto this so called "round" earth while at the same time it cant keep something as light as a bird from flying into the sky?

Q: Why is water been used in certain instruments to judge if various objects in construction are level?
A: Water always find its level.

The water cant exists the way it does on a globe earth. It would have been at the bottom of a spherical earth.
The earth loses tonnes of water each day. Gravity, evaporation, precipitation and surface tension work together in maintaining just enough. We have more water underground than in the oceans and takes the shape of whatever it's contained in. Think of the earth as a giant piece of snot that will dry out eventually. The surface gravity on Mars is only about 38% of the surface gravity on Earth and still has traces of water that is frozen and small quantities of water vapour in the atmosphere.

jack_spratt

Expert Member

Interesting discussion on the flat earth debate

From youtube description:
We've allegedly "known" for 2,000 years that the Earth is a sphere, right? Well, the Russians, CIA, NASA and the U.S. Army apparently didn't get the memo. Hmmmm... Of course, some will say, the reason they calculate on a non-rotating, flat Earth is to "simplify the math." First of all, we're dealing with actual rocket scientists in some of these cases. It's not like they need to simplify math. But more importantly, if the Earth really is a rotating sphere, why do ANY calculations at all based on fiction? Those calculations and the resulting tests would have no relation to reality and thus would render completely meaningless conclusions. So, why waste any ink on it?
@crocopede

Geoff.D

Honorary Master

Interesting discussion on the flat earth debate

From youtube description:

@crocopede
So? What do you conclude from this? That the earth IS indeed flat?
Have you any idea how complicated the formulas are IF you do not make those assumptions initially and how impossible it would have been to program computers then to handle the added complications?

No, all you have shown is how utterly stupid youtube information can be and how incredibly gullible the idiots are who take notice of the garbage on the Internet.

And IF you think that even today the same assumptions are not done then you have one hell of a lot to learn about Science.

just shows how dangerous a little bit of scientific knowledge can be in the hands of idiots.

Instead of believing the idiots that put together that video, do yourself a favour and go and understand the underlying reasons why those assumptions were made at the time and why some of those underlying assumptions are still made today.

Last edited:

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Have you any idea how complicated the formulas are IF you do not make those assumptions initially and how impossible it would have been to program computers then to handle the added complications?

No, all you have shown is how utterly stupid youtube information can be and how incredibly gullible the idiots are who take notice of the garbage on the Internet.

And IF you think that even today the same assumptions are not done then you have one hell of a lot to learn about Science.

just shows how dangerous a little bit of scientific knowledge can be in the hands of idiots.

Instead of believing the idiots that put together that video, do yourself a favour and go and understand the underlying reasons why those assumptions were made at the time and why some of those underlying assumptions are still made today.
Indeed, the concept that calculating for the curvature is not required (so why the hell do it, do these flat-earthers do unnecessary stuff all day like sweep their lawn with a broom and rake their concrete driveway?) because it's totally irrelevant to whats happening, is too much for their little minds.

Last edited:

kolaval

Expert Member
This thread still going?
I thought flat earthers would be busy with something else more exciting by now.
You never even see memes on it anymore.

jack_spratt

Expert Member

Hi Geoff, I just found it interesting. I know that including curvature would make the calculations more complicated. But would they not need to include curvature? It seems that curvature is a totally need to have here, especially if the earth is a sphere....