Is there a race agenda against Zuma?

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
http://mg.co.za/article/2012-11-21-is-there-an-agenda-against-zuma-because-he-is-black

When President Jacob Zuma married yet another wife, there was an outcry about his morality. Yet there was nothing wrong with him having another wife as our Constitution so determines. If we are to use the Bible as the standard bearer of morality as well, the Bible, both the new and the old Testaments do not forbid a man from having more than one wife. In fact, there is only one instant where it is forbidden. An elder of a church must be husband of but one wife, says the good book. Zuma does not lead a church, except for the so-called Broad Church of the ANC.

Just recently, we had The Spear painting which is the only thing we spoke about for a solid three weeks. The race card also came into play and the defenders of all that is black came out and shouted racism. Before that it was the case of the president fathering a child out of wedlock while he already had several wives and engaged to another. Now we are faced with the Nkandla scandal. There are some who say that the president is facing so much scrutiny and disrespect simply because he is black. This is an incorrect, divisive idea. He is simply being questioned because hardly a year goes by without the president having to deal with a personal scandal. I am loathe to say this of an older African man, but the president has treated himself with less dignity than he should have. It pains me to admit it to myself, even more so in writing.

There is a conflict that I go through as someone who masquerades as a writer, and a black one at that. (I want to state from the outset that I do not speak on behalf of black people, I am merely putting out observations here, and some may and may not agree with them.)

When I criticise the ruling party or the president I go through internal turmoil because I don't want to because I feel like I am criticising my own. My rational mind tells me not to, yet my moral judgment tells me otherwise. I feel compelled to write the truth as I see it. When it comes to opinion, what is true and isn't, it is debatable of course. We are called on to respond to our moral convictions, whether they be right or wrong. My president is black, and I am not proud of him. Do you have any idea how painful it is to say that?

There is a burden that others may not know that black people go through. When someone has done something shameful, we hope they are not black. When and if we find out that the person is not black, we sigh a sigh of relief. As crazy as this sounds, when I found out that the killer of Lolly Jackson was a white man, I was relieved. When a black person is in a high profile position, they do not just represent themselves; they carry the weight and expectations of the black race. In many ways this is unfair but it is true. Being black is not just for yourself.

This has a lot to do with the historical injustices that the black nation has undergone through history. We have been thought of as incapable, less than and incapable of attaining even half of what a white person can. So when a black person achieves, they carry the weight of blackness not to f**king it up.

It is precisely for this reason that when something bad happens we divide ourselves into two camps; one camp rallies that round and shields the accused because admitting that they have been somehow incompetent, corrupt or have been involved in wrongdoing merely serves to prove the historical prejudices of those who want to see a black person fail. The other camp says that we cannot allow the person to get away with it and prove the same historical prejudice.

Some may deny this, and some may say they only work for and represent themselves. A collective shame blankets black people when some idiotic act happens. It is precisely the reason so many of us wanted Obama to win a second term. He represented black excellence. It is impossible to explain what his second victory meant to black people all over the world. And yes Mr Commentor, I know you will mention he is half-white, but he identifies himself as black. Deal with it.

It pains me to admit to myself that my president does not represent the best of blackness. I know he has children who love him and whom he loves. There must be nothing worse and more painful for them than seeing and reading things about their father by people who do not know him personally. Yet we have to be responsible to our conscience because we are answerable to it.

There is a notion that has been put forward by a number of people around Zuma, that he is being persecuted because he is black. This is not true. It is because we are so bitterly disappointed. Blade Nzimande attempted to popularise this idea during Speargate, and now Nkandlagate, when he suggested a law, which forced people to respect the president.

Nelson Mandela was insulted on the regular, death threats and all. Yet he is the same man who said, "Those who conduct themselves with morality, integrity and consistency need not fear the forces of inhumanity and cruelty." He did not demand laws to protect him from insults, nor did he shout in Parliament to say, "You must respect me" because he conducted himself with integrity and consistency.

Everybody wants to look up to their president. No one put it better than Machiavelli when he wrote: "A return to first principles in a republic is sometimes caused by the simple virtues of one man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example." Unfortunately the president hasn't been and isn't a good example.

Nzimande's blatant attempt to use the race card to defend the president was crass when he said: "There is a danger here … some people have crossed the line. You know of that Spear drawing? I found that the most offensive thing. And also it's an insult to black people. It's like we don't have a culture. I'm Jewish you know, I'm Afrikaans, but if you're black African you are not supposed to have a culture, and that's a problem." The problem with this is that he trivialised a lot of real issues that black people face – the idea that if a black person becomes wealthy it is because of corrupt practices or because they are unfairly favoured at the work place because they are black.

Nzimande wasn't speaking for black people, he is just using the black card for political purposes. He was speaking for power. He likes to speak about the "Liberal Offensive" against the black government. It is true that there is a bias against the ruling party when it comes to reporting. Something I find unfair at times. He reminds me a little of what Steve Biko termed "self-appointed trustees of black interest". Of course, he wrote that in a different context, writing about white liberals. In this case, it is true of Nzimande. Biko said: "With their characteristic arrogance of assuming a 'monopoly on intelligence and moral judgment', these self-appointed trustees of black interests have gone on to set the pattern and pace for the realisation of the black man's aspirations."

The idea that when a black person disagrees with the ANC or ideas set out by him has somehow been blinded by the liberal offensive is an insult to any thinking human being. Black people are not a homogenous group. Nzimande is a great thinker, he should not demean his intelligence the way he has over the past few years in an attempt to ensure that he stays close to power. Sycophancy is not a good look. I wish Nzimande could go back to applying his mind to greater things like he used to instead of wasting his mind on these trivialities.

I know some will ask why am I going on about blackness. We all want a united South Africa for a united country will prosper. Truth is we still need to build ourselves as black people. Almost 400 years of damage can't be fixed in 18 years.

There is no agenda against the president because he is black. No. Not at all. It's because there are too many unanswered questions. Just make us proud – black and proud.

Enzo Matrix

Honorary Master
Whenever anyone has anything bad to say about a black person, they are racist. So yeah i guess they are right

F

Fudzy

Asked and answered I think with the last line:

There is no agenda against the president because he is black. No. Not at all. It's because there are too many unanswered questions. Just make us proud – black and proud.

CAPS LOCK

Executive Member
I was having a dialogue with a black colleague yesterday - I wanted to broach the subject of Zuma and specifically the whole nkandlagate debacle. I eventually asked him what his opinion was regarding Zuma. My colleague - from Zululand himself - told me in no uncertain terms that he is sick of the ANC, as much as it pains hims to say so, it is how he feels. He went on and spoke highly of the DA and that the DA need to campaign more aggressively in the "black" areas, that all political parties should form a coalition against the ANC. I asked him if this was just his sentiment, or do loads of other black people he knows share these thoughts - I was astounded when he said that most of his black friends and family are talking about Zuma and his corruption, and that he should be kicked out the ANC as an embarrassment.

I spoke to him about SA's credit rating (moody's), and how it has been slipping, and the consequences of divestment in the country, or the lack of investment, which would render our current situation even worse etc etc. He said the current situation is bad, and something must be done about it, and that we are the most corrupt government in the world. I left him with one thought - that the only way we will prosper in this country is with everyone recognizing what the parasite of corruption does to a country - and when it comes to vote, it must count.

I just hope that the eyes of the majority are casting a steely gaze at the current government, and in doing so, make informed decisions about the future of this country. We are at a cross-roads.

JungleBoy

Executive Member
We are all people. I personally don't see Zuma or Mandela as a black president. I see them as South African state presidents. They might have their flaws and virtues but none of those could be transferred to me just because I'm black. I am individual person first before I am black. I couldn't give a damn if Lolly Jackson's murderer was black or white or whatever. A murderer is a murderer in any colour or shape. Why should I be relieved if he is not black? My blackness does not imply association with black murderers. Similarly my blackness does not imply that I'm an Olympic and World record holder just because the record holder Usain Bolt is black.

Last edited:

CAPS LOCK

Executive Member
We are all people. I personally don't see Zuma or Mandela as a black president. I see them as South African state presidents. They might have their flaws and virtues but none of those could be transferred to me just because I'm black. I am individual person first before I am black. I couldn't give a damn if Lolly Jackson's murderer was black or white or whatever. A murderer is a murderer in any colour or shape. Why should I be relieved if he is not black? My blackness does not imply association with black murderers. Similarly my blackness does imply that I'm an Olympic and World record holder just because the record holder Usain Bolt is black.

You missed the gist of the article.

porchrat

Honorary Master
We are all people. I personally don't see Zuma or Mandela as a black president. I see them as South African state presidents. They might have their flaws and virtues but none of those could be transferred to me just because I'm black. I am individual person first before I am black. I couldn't give a damn if Lolly Jackson's murderer was black or white or whatever. A murderer is a murderer in any colour or shape. Why should I be relieved if he is not black? My blackness does not imply association with black murderers. Similarly my blackness does imply that I'm an Olympic and World record holder just because the record holder Usain Bolt is black.
Well said. That group identity concept expressed in the article is utterly stupid.

I certainly don't feel as though I should share in the shame when some white dude does something horrific and I don't see why black folks should feel the same. As a white person I don't judge every single black dude on the planet as similarly deficient because a particular incompetent or corrupt individual happens to be black.

The constant feeling expressed by the author that the entirety of black people are being judged by the actions of a particular black person strikes me as very irrational. Perhaps he should see a shrink.

I think Zuma is an incompetent corrupt sexist idiot. Not because he is black but because his actions say to me "Hi, my name is Jacob and I am an incompetent corrupt sexist idiot.". I couldn't give a schit if he was bright green that wouldn't give him a free pass.

Last edited:

JungleBoy

Executive Member
You missed the gist of the article.

Possibly, but this is the part I am objecting to.

There is a burden that others may not know that black people go through. When someone has done something shameful, we hope they are not black. When and if we find out that the person is not black, we sigh a sigh of relief. As crazy as this sounds, when I found out that the killer of Lolly Jackson was a white man, I was relieved. When a black person is in a high profile position, they do not just represent themselves; they carry the weight and expectations of the black race. In many ways this is unfair but it is true. Being black is not just for yourself.

I am definitely excluded from the WE that he is talking about.

akescpt

Honorary Master
I was having a dialogue with a black colleague yesterday - I wanted to broach the subject of Zuma and specifically the whole nkandlagate debacle. I eventually asked him what his opinion was regarding Zuma. My colleague - from Zululand himself - told me in no uncertain terms that he is sick of the ANC, as much as it pains hims to say so, it is how he feels. He went on and spoke highly of the DA and that the DA need to campaign more aggressively in the "black" areas, that all political parties should form a coalition against the ANC. I asked him if this was just his sentiment, or do loads of other black people he knows share these thoughts - I was astounded when he said that most of his black friends and family are talking about Zuma and his corruption, and that he should be kicked out the ANC as an embarrassment.

I spoke to him about SA's credit rating (moody's), and how it has been slipping, and the consequences of divestment in the country, or the lack of investment, which would render our current situation even worse etc etc. He said the current situation is bad, and something must be done about it, and that we are the most corrupt government in the world. I left him with one thought - that the only way we will prosper in this country is with everyone recognizing what the parasite of corruption does to a country - and when it comes to vote, it must count.

I just hope that the eyes of the majority are casting a steely gaze at the current government, and in doing so, make informed decisions about the future of this country. We are at a cross-roads.

not going to happen. violence will ensue. some democracy hey:wtf:

FlatspinZA

Expert Member
I agree with the author - 400 years of damage can't be fixed in 18 years, even if we as white people are trying to fix it. Zuma is doing nothing to fix anything beyond helping himself. He is not a good example to his people. Nobody can afford 20 children, unless they're stinking rich.

EDIT: He should take a leaf out of Jesse Jackson Jr's book:

...admitting to mistakes — "my mistakes and mine alone."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/editorials/ct-edit-jesse-20121122,0,3263099.story

Last edited:

Albereth

Honorary Master
We are all people. I personally don't see Zuma or Mandela as a black president. I see them as South African state presidents. They might have their flaws and virtues but none of those could be transferred to me just because I'm black. I am individual person first before I am black. I couldn't give a damn if Lolly Jackson's murderer was black or white or whatever. A murderer is a murderer in any colour or shape. Why should I be relieved if he is not black? My blackness does not imply association with black murderers. Similarly my blackness does not imply that I'm an Olympic and World record holder just because the record holder Usain Bolt is black.

What virtues does Zumatello have?

blunomore

Honorary Master
What virtues does Zumatello have?

He comes from a very poor background and I have to say, he seems to have a way with making himself popular with poor people. They may be blind to his govt's service delivery failures, but they seem to relate to him because he is also of similar background and they feel they can somehow relate to him.

JustAsk

Expert Member

Look Jannie,there's a black person sitting over there.Let's go ask him his opinion of Zuma,corruption,the da,sa credit ratings,malema.Let's not forget to ask him if other blacks also share his sentiments.

Possibly, but this is the part I am objecting to.

I am definitely excluded from the WE that he is talking about.

You are way too naive. If you are black, you should understand that when something bad is done by a person of colour, it reflects not only on themselves but on the entire race. For example: 17 arab muslims can fly planes into buildings and the act of terrorism sticks to everyone who is muslim on the planet (1,5 billion people) even though there have been over 100 terrorist acts that have been commited by whites.

FlatspinZA

Expert Member
You are way too naive. If you are black, you should understand that when something bad is done by a person of colour, it reflects not only on themselves but on the entire race. For example: 17 arab muslims can fly planes into buildings and the act of terrorism sticks to everyone who is muslim on the planet (1,5 billion people) even though there have been over 100 terrorist acts that have been commited by whites.

Quite true - in much the same way you are personally judged by the company you keep, even if you are nothing like the company you keep.

JungleBoy

Executive Member

Firstly you must differentiate between religion and race. People belonging to one religious group tend to share the same values, convictions, behaviours etc, perhaps due to the religious indoctrinations. This however is not true for races. I believe individuals within races share no more than just physical appearance. And we both agree that physical appearance is not an accurate predictor of behaviour.

porchrat

Honorary Master
You are way too naive. If you are black, you should understand that when something bad is done by a person of colour, it reflects not only on themselves but on the entire race.
Only if those considering the actions are bigots that like to lump people into groups based on skin melanin content.

I don't see how it is at all logical to tar me with the same brush as Charles Manson just because I am of the same race group. Absolutely stupid.

For example: 17 arab muslims can fly planes into buildings and the act of terrorism sticks to everyone who is muslim on the planet (1,5 billion people) even though there have been over 100 terrorist acts that have been commited by whites.
I don't assume all people of Arabic ethnicity are terrorists.

Are you saying you do?!? :wtf: