Is there hope? Extremely slow Xandros3 BitTorent

MFour

Expert Member
Hi All

Is there any way you guys know of to speed up a BitTorrent download?

I've been trying for 3 weeks now to download the Xandros 3 torrent, and my progress is only up to 66%. Although I have a 512 ADSL line, when I'm lucky, I get a pathetic 1 or maybe 3 kB/s. My ISP is Telscum (yes I know), is BitTorrent being throttled by them, or am I in it for a long hall?

Any help or comments apprecieted. Thanks

bb_matt

Executive Member
It depends how many seeds there are and also how many people are downloading.
If there are only a few people downloading and a few seeds, it'll never go fast.

Do other torrents go fast, or are they all slow ?
Have you limited your upload rate too low ? - best to leave it at default, even if initially the upload is faster than the download

Have you changed the ports that bittorrent listens on ?

MFour

Expert Member
This is the first torrent I've tried, being very new to Linux and all. So my experience is quite limited. What I do know is that http downloads go at a comfortable 50 to 54 kB/s, so no probs there.

I've adjusted my upload speed to 40 kB/s and also played around with the setting to see if that would change anything, but no luck.

The ports I've not touched, thought it best not to fiddle until I know a bit more. I'm using Bit Tornado as my client, but from what I read that should not make a difference.

At the moment there seems to be 13 seeds connected, but not one is giving me anything, and it seems when someone tries to download from me, they get connected for about 3 sec and then get kicked/dropped.

Not too sure what's going on.

bb_matt

Executive Member
Ya - 13 is not a lot really, you'd be better off finding an FTP mirror with the distribution on, but seeing as your on 66% it would be a bit of a waste.

Stick it out - I've had torrents take 2 weeks to complete - on and off of course.

MFour

Expert Member
Thanks bb_matt. Not what I was hoping for, but thought as much.
As far as the FTP goes, searched for quite a while but no luck and with the lovely 3G cap in mind, as you said, best to stick it out.

thanks again :D

VQuest

Expert Member
I've found that my BitTorrent speeds have decreased a great deal over the past 2 weeks or so. I used to get a comfortable 20kb/sec on all my downloads and now I'm getting an average of 5-10kb/sec (but sometimes as low as 1 or 2kb/sec) on anything I try to download. I've tried every different setting I can think of - including loads of different port numbers, but no luck.

Anyone else having this problem lately?