Is there much hope for my laptop?

newjourno

My HP laptop just gave in yesterday (it is about 14 months old). It randomly shut down and never turned on again. When I tried switching it on, it would make a clicking sound (as if being forcibly turned off with the power button) about two or three times and then stay on but not respond to any commands like pressing the caps key and the screen was totally black.

I have tried the basics such as taking out the battery, plugging it into an external monitor etc and nothing worked.

I took the PC to a Pakistani repair shop (the guy was in a mall so I assumed he was legit) and he said that the problem is most likely due to over-heating and there is a 50/50 chance of it being repaired. He said he would most likely tell me by Monday/Tuesday.

Daruk

Honorary Master
That clicking sound is probably the hard drive failing if you indeed have a hard drive and not an SSD. As for 50/50 being related to overheating, it's 50/50 anything you choose. There's no way he can tell unless he has specific experience with that model. All shops are as legit as the individuals who run them. You should have rather taken it to a trusted HP reseller in my opinion. There's not much anyone can tell you without opening the thing.

Hellhound105

Expert Member
HP Pavillion DV5 is prone to overheating. When you get your laptop back you might want to check that Candy Crush is no longer installed as that will cause the overheating.

Hellhound105

Expert Member
What @Daruk said. We have no ideas and can`t give real answers as we dont even know the model or have seen it ourselves.

newjourno

Update: The guy repaired it. I typed this message from my repaired laptop. By chance I was just going to the store to try to tell him to attend to it as it is a matter of urgency and he told me that he had already repaired it.

He said it had something to do with the motherboard and projection but did not really elaborate further (English may have been an issue).

He charged me R850.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Update: The guy repaired it. I typed this message from my repaired laptop. By chance I was just going to the store to try to tell him to attend to it as it is a matter of urgency and he told me that he had already repaired it.

He said it had something to do with the motherboard and projection but did not really elaborate further (English may have been an issue).

He charged me R850.
R850 is reasonable for anyones time in these matters, glad it's sorted!

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
If it's 14 months old why aren't you claiming for a repair under warranty?

Should have been free instead of R850.

mr_norris

Expert Member
I'm going to go with it was probably out of warrantee. When I last bought an HP, it only had a 1 year warranty.

He said it had something to do with the motherboard and projection
Would have been nice to know what he did. That sounds weird. Glad it's sorted for you though.

newjourno

Should have been free instead of R850.

I checked the Incredible Connection website and they said that they only do repairs if it is six months. I never bothered about taking extended warranty because chances are that they will just say that it is my fault.

SYNERGY

Executive Member
Sounds like he replaced the thermal paste and unclogged your fans(s).

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I checked the Incredible Connection website and they said that they only do repairs if it is six months. I never bothered about taking extended warranty because chances are that they will just say that it is my fault.
You don’t deal with Incredible, they don’t hold your warranty.

You contact the manufacturer.

newjourno

Which model do you have?
Its the following: HP 15 bs1xx

Sidenote: The speed has improved considerably. I watched a YouTube video and disabled a number of startup apps and it made the PC a lot faster though it is still far off what it should be IMO. To be honest, I use a lot of free apps but I have run Malewarebytes multiple times and it always finds nothing.