Is this a good deal?

Quintrix

Expert Member
Please give me the good, the bad and the ugly truth on this deal.

Sunsynk Kit – 8kW Hybrid – 5.5kWh Lithium – 4.86kWp Solar – Fully Installed​

R105,211.06

The Sunsynk 8kW kit is a fully-fledged solar kit, complete on both the AC and DC side.
This kit has the following performance properties:
Solar Power Deployed: 4.86kWp
Expected Daily Generation: 26.73kWh @ 5.5hrs
Inverter Capacity: 8.8kW Single Phase
Battery Capacity: 5.5kWh
Remote Communications: Yes, if wifi available at the install point

GWStore special

Anybody with an opinion please share. Can't remember all the wizards.

@AchmatK @RonSwanson @TheChamp

AchmatK

Executive Member

R105,211.06

The Sunsynk 8kW kit is a fully-fledged solar kit, complete on both the AC and DC side.

GWStore special

That's a decent deal and you can always add more panels and batteries later.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
I think it is, a quick calculation gives me over R80k for just the three main components, solar, battery and inverter, but just to make sure there are no hidden costs ask them to come do an assessment and see if there are no unseen costs that could quickly change what looks like a good deal on paper, I see there are a few exceptions on the offer.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
I think it is, a quick calculation gives me over R80k for just the three main components, solar, battery and inverter, but just to make sure there are no hidden costs ask them to come do an assessment and see if there are no unseen costs that could quickly change what looks like a good deal on paper, I see there are a few exceptions on the offer.
Sounds quite fair:
1633674972643.png

Quintrix

Expert Member
What is the warranty and what are the reviews like on the batteries?

Don't know of any issues with these batteries but that's why I'm asking those in the know
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Battery Type: 1 x Hubble AM 2 5.5kW Wall Mount Lithium Batteries

Total Storage: 5.5kWh

Module Nominal Voltage: 48V

Operating Temperature Range: -10 °C ~ 55 °C*

Cycle Life: +/- 3000 Cycles @ 100% DOD, Above 6000 cycles @ 50% DOD

wingnut771

Honorary Master
The only issue I have with this configuration is you will only have access to 5.5kW on your 8kW inverter, you would need a second battery, or limit your load to 5.5kW.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Don't know of any issues with these batteries but that's why I'm asking those in the know
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Battery Type: 1 x Hubble AM 2 5.5kW Wall Mount Lithium Batteries

Total Storage: 5.5kWh

Module Nominal Voltage: 48V

Operating Temperature Range: -10 °C ~ 55 °C*

Cycle Life: +/- 3000 Cycles @ 100% DOD, Above 6000 cycles @ 50% DOD
It's the battery I would choose due to 1C power delivery when I pull the pin, as have a few other peeps starting new installs so you wouldn't be alone. If you went pylontech, you would need 5 batteries to equal 8kW power delivery.

BasBas

R105,211.06

GWStore special

Very good inverter, The battery may need to be doubled eventually. That solar estimation seems quite high, I recon closer to 20-22 Kwh/day. Deal quite good though

Neuk_

Executive Member
The kit only has 4.86kWp, but anyway, I mean when there is no grid like during loadshedding.

Yes, it has 5.5kW of battery rated at 1C with 4.86kW of PV, so assuming a very high load, a full battery and plenty sun the inverter's 8kW capability could easily be fully utilised.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Yes, it has 5.5kW of battery rated at 1C with 4.86kW of PV, so assuming a very high load, a full battery and plenty sun the inverter's 8kW capability could easily be fully utilised.
I see what you mean. :thumbsup:

RonSwanson

Honorary Master

R105,211.06

GWStore special

Good kit, good price, very similar to Powertforumstore. Expect to pay a bit more on install and consumables though. Remember that these kind of deals are cut to the bone, basically an invitation / opener to do business, and therefore make quite a few assumptions, like roof type, existing CoC, etc. You will only understand the full price once a proper site inspection has been done by the installer.

As pointed out by others, you'll only be able to draw under 5.5K from the single battery, so keep that in mind for evenings / loadshedding outages, this can be fixed by adding another battery / batteries.

More importantly though, what are your own needs, and your own objectives?

Quintrix

Expert Member
Got the impression
Good kit, good price, very similar to Powertforumstore. Expect to pay a bit more on install and consumables though. Remember that these kind of deals are cut to the bone, basically an invitation / opener to do business, and therefore make quite a few assumptions, like roof type, existing CoC, etc. You will only understand the full price once a proper site inspection has been done by the installer.

As pointed out by others, you'll only be able to draw under 5.5K from the single battery, so keep that in mind for evenings / loadshedding outages, this can be fixed by adding another battery / batteries.

More importantly though, what are your own needs, and your own objectives?

Gave them a call yesterday and got that distinct feeling of being a fish getting reeled in.
Fit my needs and plans. Want a system to save max during day and keep basics going during night, so this is a good starting point.

RonSwanson

Honorary Master
Very good inverter, The battery may need to be doubled eventually. That solar estimation seems quite high, I recon closer to 20-22 Kwh/day. Deal quite good though
The total kWp is derived from adding the wattage of all nine panels up, i.e. 9x 540W = 4860 kWp. That means maximum production under pristine conditions (STC). What you are referring to is consumption (kWh).

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Got the impression

Gave them a call yesterday and got that distinct feeling of being a fish getting reeled in.
Fit my needs and plans. Want a system to save max during day and keep basics going during night, so this is a good starting point.
Surely you can get them to come over and do a site inspection for a final quote? Don't buy the kit only to be told about the extra costs after, if they show some hesitancy dump them.

RonSwanson

Honorary Master
:) In fairness to the retrailer, that's how all advertising works, it's an invitation to do business, nothing less, nothing more.