Is this kind of corrosion on the engine acceptable on a brand new Mercedes?

linkinpark

Expert Member
I noticed these spots on the day I picked it up from the dealer. Is this normal for a brand new car? It turns into a white powder as soon as I touch them and there doesn't seem to be any pitting under the spots. The dealer says it's nothing to be concerned about and can be easily cleaned.
Thanks.

IMG_20190202_142816.jpg IMG_20190202_142824.jpg IMG_20190202_142835.jpg IMG_20190202_142842.jpg

Moto Guzzi

I noticed these spots on the day I picked it up from the dealer. Is this normal for a brand new car? It turns into a white powder as soon as I touch them and there doesn't seem to be any pitting under the spots. The dealer says it's nothing to be concerned about and can be easily cleaned.
Thanks.

View attachment 619364 View attachment 619366 View attachment 619368 View attachment 619370

Sorry, no its not acceptable, the car got driven got dirty, they cleaned the engine bay/wash it and let it sit to corrode.
Take it back.

Jewpacabra

Expert Member
Looks like a coating from the factory peeling off. Seems to be on replaceable aluminium parts too so it shouldn't be an issue. At least it's not on the frame or body panels.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
That's pretty normal and you are stressing over nothing.

Car would look like that if it slept outside for a single night under your ownership I bet.

Also for the love of god don't try to "fix" it in any way. It will just cock up other stuff.

eg2505

Honorary Master
concerning, especially on a new car,
what to do?, get them to acknowledge it, in case something fails later on down the line,

getting evidence is a start, getting them to pay for it is another challenge.

Jchan11hk

To be honest, Aluminium should not corrode under normal condition, and it has a layer of Aluminium oxide on top of it to prevent this type of corrosion.

However, it looks like some acidic fluid splashed onto it, and ate away that Al2O3 layer.

I would let them know and if they are going to replace it, then it is fine, if not, it wont make much of a difference in terms of structure.

linkinpark

Expert Member
Thanks, the reason I created this thread was to find out if the corrosion is something I should be concerned about or not. I'm not a car fundi, so I have no idea how serious it is.

If it's nothing to worry about, then i'm completely happy, but if it's something that might be more serious or affect performance/reliability in the long term then I would have to escalate it with the dealer.

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Nothing to worry about. If anything fails later it wouldn't be because of this, besides anything failing would be covered under warranty if its a new car.