Is this line good?

Arksun

Expert Member
So my Telkom nightmare is looking like it's not going to end. A number of technicians have come and gone and the last lot that was here is saying my line is syncing and it's fine. It's a 10Mbps line that's dropping packets and losing sync every hour to two hours. Autosync defaults to gdmt. It never stays on ADSL2+ for longer than half an hour. I admit I'm starting to have doubts on my own logic.

Stats are:

Downstream - ATT 26.1dB, SnR 8.3dB
Upstream - ATT 20.3dB, SnR 6.0dB

This is on my DSL-N14u syncing at just over 5Mbps on gdmt.

The previous technician said there's it's syncing, the line is clear and there's no problems. The one before said "your router can't handle the speed". I have two routers. My DSL-N14u syncs at 5Mbps and is most stable, dropping every hour or two and my Telkom issued router syncs at 10Mbps and the line drops like every 15 to 30 minutes the whole time.

Am I being stupid?

Last edited:

Moto Guzzi

So if the Telkom Tech plug in his own router and Laptop, what happens, if his fail he cant walk away from it. are you less than 1Km from exchange port-?

Last edited:

ClasherJ8

Your SNR is very low. Telkom will most likely force you to switch to a 4mbps profile. You can try improving your SNR by disconnecting any appliances that may be connected to the same plug point - only leaving the router connected.

Arksun

Expert Member
So if the Telkom Tech plug in his own router and Laptop, what happens, if his fail he cant walk away from it. are you less than 1Km from exchange port-?
He says his router syncs at ten, but when I asked him what the line stats are on his router, he said that he's "waiting for a full report" - his words, basically avoiding my question.

I'm more or less about 1km from the exchange. Depends on how the cable is run.

Moto Guzzi

If you less than 1Km from exchange, put 200-Ohmn(50-500)-cheap, resistor in one leg of ADSL line before router and try again(does not matter which leg), I am just curious as whats going to happen then, thanks. If you have success, then we are dealing with a strange problem other than normally expected(some type of routers), you can do this experiment if you want to.

2ndly:If they also experience the problems but dont want to talk about it, had the they re-ported you to another ADSL port preferably on another rack of EQPT, or if not possible at least on another card in the rack, not the same card at least-? This is to eliminate the fight against tracing a cable fault if it maybe in exchange, just a few thoughts.

Last edited: