Is this move by WebAfrica and Vumatel legal?

I just got this email from WebAfrica and Vumatel. It just seems unfair and a terrible deal for me as consumer. I was wondering if it is legal on their part? If it is legal I will move to another ISP, if not I will fight them on it. Thanks

Dear Raymond,

You originally signed up with us on a Fibrehoods Fibre line. What you may or may not know is that about two years ago Fibrehoods was bought by Vumatel.

Vumatel is now standardizing all Fibre lines’ prices to match its own. This means there will be an adjustment to the package you’re currently on, and your monthly fee, as of 1 March, 2019.

Please understand that we are simply passing on a cost increase from our supplier and are making no additional profit from this.

We have tried our utmost to keep your new package as close as possible prioritised according to your existing price, speed and then data plan.

You can expect the following changes to your account as of 1 March, 2019:
Line:
You will move from a 100/10Mbps line to a 50/5Mbps line
Data: You will remain uncapped (no shaping, no FUP)
Price : You will move from R1079 to R1059
Price Difference: You will save R20 per month

You are welcome to choose a different package if you prefer. Simply log into your Customer Zone before the 20th of February 2019 and select the package you want.

To thank you for your ongoing support, Webafrica would like to give you 6 months’ free phone calls on Webafrica Voice 1, our VoIP service (that’s around 170 minutes per month of free phone calls for you to use as you please).

To make use of this free VoIP service, simply visit our Webafrica Voice page, order a Voice 1 package, and use the following promotional code at the checkout: xxxx .

Kind Regards,
Webafrica

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Don't see anything wrong TBH. They moved you to a lower package at a similar price to what you were paying, but do state that you can change your package if you're not happy.

I'd probably just move...

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Don't see anything wrong TBH. They moved you to a lower package at a similar price to what you were paying, but do state that you can change your package if you're not happy.

I'd probably just move...
Ouch, half the speed lost. But yah, I would move but I assume that he is not bound by contract anymore, if they try hold him to contract, that would be a scummy move.

Yes I am definitely moving no matter what. This is truly a scumbag move. Busy comparing ISP's on Vumatel's website. There are a HUGE amount of much better deals than what WebAfrica is offering me. I hope all the ex-Fibrehoods customers dont accept this and move away from WebAfrica. Only drawback is: I have to pay thousands in activation fee's to move, even though I have my own router that I bought myself and I have all the CPE installed already

Totempole

Expert Member
No you don't. You'll only have to pay if you don't have a line and need to install a new one...
Pretty sure with Vuma that you're liable for another R999 activation fee on move unless the ISP is willing to subsidise the cost.

I may be wrong though.

On CISP I can get 100/100 Mbps line for R1219 and no activation fee. The exact same package on WebAfrica is R1329. Of course it would be much easier just upgrading my WebAfrica service and paying the extra money per month because the difference is not that big for more upload speed. But I am not going to do that because of this unnecessary price adjustment. They probably only have a couple of ex-Fibrehoods customers and they could have just kept us on the price we signed up for on Fibrehoods as a nice gesture. But they didn't, so i am moving to CISP. I will pay R140 more than I am paying now and get a faster upload speed

Last edited:

matieut

Well, I will be voting with my wallet and moving on. Enough is enough.
WebAfrica, you have just lost another loyal client

STORMERSFAN

Yes I am definitely moving no matter what. This is truly a scumbag move. Busy comparing ISP's on Vumatel's website. There are a HUGE amount of much better deals than what WebAfrica is offering me. I hope all the ex-Fibrehoods customers dont accept this and move away from WebAfrica. Only drawback is: I have to pay thousands in activation fee's to move, even though I have my own router that I bought myself and I have all the CPE installed already
Cool ideas pays the R999 connection fee for u so its a no brainer.