Is voice spam the beginning of the end of the voice call business?

glamprecht

Voice spam is affecting my business and productivity to the extent that I have now started a habit of referring my clients to WhatsApp calls or Skype calls. I am now even going further and telling them from 2019 I can no longer take voice calls on my cellphone. They need to call the office. The buzz among other entrepreneurs is that they are also doing this.

The latest is that spam voice calls are now computer driven - a kind of voice message. How frustrating and embarrassing if you excuse yourself out of a meeting because you expect an urgent call from 011 number - and a computer starts blurring an insurance add. The numbers are now randomised and appear legit, even though it is just forwarding services. So Apps like true caller don't work well anymore and will occasionally block/silence an important business deal.

As a businessman with Unlimited voice calls plans, working 14 hours per day of which 2-4 hours is on the phone it has become one too much and I am getting to the end of my patience.

If the mobile operators cannot lobby for legislation in favour of their clients who happen to represent their continued existence, then "Nature will find a way" and it appears that the way is not traditional voice.

I realise that for many consumers the smartphone is a record player and camera, but the opinion leaders and pragmatists use their devices productively (lately less so).

How many share my frustration and are looking for alternatives?

irBosOtter

Expert Member
Never received voice spam in my life.... then again I do have truecaller that blocks all "spam" numbers.

isie

Honorary Master
Voice spam is affecting my business and productivity to the extent that I have now started a habit of referring my clients to WhatsApp calls or Skype calls. I am now even going further and telling them from 2019 I can no longer take voice calls on my cellphone. They need to call the office. The buzz among other entrepreneurs is that they are also doing this.

The latest is that spam voice calls are now computer driven - a kind of voice message. How frustrating and embarrassing if you excuse yourself out of a meeting because you expect an urgent call from 011 number - and a computer starts blurring an insurance add. The numbers are now randomised and appear legit, even though it is just forwarding services. So Apps like true caller don't work well anymore and will occasionally block/silence an important business deal.

As a businessman with Unlimited voice calls plans, working 14 hours per day of which 2-4 hours is on the phone it has become one too much and I am getting to the end of my patience.

If the mobile operators cannot lobby for legislation in favour of their clients who happen to represent their continued existence, then "Nature will find a way" and it appears that the way is not traditional voice.

I realise that for many consumers the smartphone is a record player and camera, but the opinion leaders and pragmatists use their devices productively (lately less so).

Get truecaller - help identify the spam

Hephaestus

Forging
Never received voice spam in my life.... then again I do have truecaller that blocks all "spam" numbers.
Does not always work, have truecaller and it does identify and block spam, but these companies are getting smart. I have been getting calls almost everyday from the same company but every time its a different number, block that number and the next day there is a new one that has not been labeled as spam yet.

The tone and typing style of this is just odd...

aktiv

This is getting out of hand
I have call blocking, but here is example
2 calls per day for 12 consecutive days from +27 87 087 5310
Online googling claim it is Old Mutual funeral plans

Edit:
I will boycott any company that do this

Screenshot_2018-06-27-14-30-16-501_com.miui.securitycenter~01.jpg

Last edited:

Purply

Expert Member
OP, I suffer from the same and have completely stopped answering my cell, unless it's from a known number of course.

FaSMaN

Expert Member
If you havent done so yet, I would highly recommend you watch the Ted Talk on voice spam , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXVJ4JQ3SUw

With that out of the way, he found that simply adding a tone directly after picking up the phone is enough to trick the computerized phone system that's spamming you, into thinking they have accidentally dialed a fax line or its a answering machine, the phone system would then end the call, and kindly blacklist your number as they dont want to waste their money talking to faxes.

Should be doable on both Modern android phones aswell as PABx systems.

Last edited:

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
The number shown in the screenshot in this thread is also used by some debt collectors...

glamprecht

When you respond please state whether you are in sales/business development.

The marketing calls are irritating if you occasionally receive calls from friends and family and occasionally make calls. However if your phone is your line to clients, then it is much more than irritating. It is robbing you.

I have tried TrueCaller and some others, but they occasionally also block numbers that were recycled or are legitimate. I have had some clients complaining that they tried to call me 8 times and then gave up. So I uninstalled TrueCaller.

The Ted tele-pirate video is brilliant. It does explain why the phone companies are not doing anything about this. I still however wonder whether the point at which the phone companies are losing through migration is more than what they gain through selling services to spammers. And at what point this migration is irreversible. I also wonder whether poor service or don't care service which I would categorise this as, provide the emotional fuel for the development of alternatives?

supersunbird

Honorary Master

Sing up to https://www.nationaloptout.org, it will greatly reduce the amount of such calls.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
When you respond please state whether you are in sales/business development.

The marketing calls are irritating if you occasionally receive calls from friends and family and occasionally make calls. However if your phone is your line to clients, then it is much more than irritating. It is robbing you.

I have tried TrueCaller and some others, but they occasionally also block numbers that were recycled or are legitimate. I have had some clients complaining that they tried to call me 8 times and then gave up. So I uninstalled TrueCaller.

The Ted tele-pirate video is brilliant. It does explain why the phone companies are not doing anything about this. I still however wonder whether the point at which the phone companies are losing through migration is more than what they gain through selling services to spammers. And at what point this migration is irreversible. I also wonder whether poor service or don't care service which I would categorise this as, provide the emotional fuel for the development of alternatives?
Just mark their number as legit...

airborne

Executive Member
Also noticed this bs pick up recently, used to one every blue moon but the last week or 2 have got a few.

Apparently this robocalling marketing bs has been widespread for a long time in the US.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Except for the DA, I've only had 2 robocalls. I select the "call me back" option every time so I can waste more of their time, but none of them have.
The DA did call me back... In hindsight I feel a bit ashamed about how I treated the poor guy at the other end of the line.

I'm not in sales or anything like that.

ponder

Honorary Master

Jy praat kuk. I don't get these.