Isoboard ceiling insulation

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
I'm planning on adding insulation to my house, however, the house is slightly old so the existing ceiling is what I call "soft" so the boards have a tendency to sag, and needing to be refastened to the roof, so I can't put think pink or something similar on top of the ceiling as the extra weight will just make it sag. So I've found isoboard - which allows me to get rid of the old ceiling boards and get insulation at the same time.

On to my actual question, has anyone ever put this up without brandering? Our ceilings aren't the highest as it stands and putting in a 40-50mm ceiling board will make the rooms appear quite small. I see on the isoboard website that they recommend brandering with spacing of 700mm - our roof trusses are 600mm apart, so can I not nail this stuff directly to the roof trusses? Is there any specific reason for there needing to be brandering?

Lupus

Honorary Master

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
I put this up in my study when the ceiling collapsed last year.
https://www.builders.co.za/Building-Materials/Ceilings/Ceiling-Boards/Upper-Edge-PVC-Ceiling---White-Matt-(3900-x-300mm)/p/000000000000533706?gclid=Cj0KCQjwi7DtBRCLARIsAGCJWBoLzBqgQxKpbC4pOS_Hi1QJTqBGbV6vqkuQctvWHfvbYAXiQr9ZGKIaAuBHEALw_wcB
The study is now warm in winter and cool in summer, well cooler than the rest of the house with the old ceiling and that horrible resin insulation the previous owner used.
Did you install it yourself?

Lupus

Honorary Master
Did you install it yourself?
Nope insurance paid for it so they wanted it done "right". But looking at the installation it really doesn't look hard, what's horrible is taking down the original ceiling.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
I am in the process now of removing my old ceiling and looking for the best type of ceiling to install now.

This is the setup that I want:

@GhostSixFour , I was told by my ceiling dude that you really don't need any form of insulation when going with Isoboard, but if I want, there is a green mat type of thing (I forgot the name) that you roll onto/above the ceiling that helps quite a lot.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I am in the process now of removing my old ceiling and looking for the best type of ceiling to install now.

View attachment 726398

@GhostSixFour , I was told by my ceiling dude that you really don't need any form of insulation when going with Isoboard, but if I want, there is a green mat type of thing (I forgot the name) that you roll onto/above the ceiling that helps quite a lot.
Isotherm?

Maybe made by same people as Isoboard?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I'm planning on adding insulation to my house, however, the house is slightly old so the existing ceiling is what I call "soft" so the boards have a tendency to sag, and needing to be refastened to the roof, so I can't put think pink or something similar on top of the ceiling as the extra weight will just make it sag. So I've found isoboard - which allows me to get rid of the old ceiling boards and get insulation at the same time.

On to my actual question, has anyone ever put this up without brandering? Our ceilings aren't the highest as it stands and putting in a 40-50mm ceiling board will make the rooms appear quite small. I see on the isoboard website that they recommend brandering with spacing of 700mm - our roof trusses are 600mm apart, so can I not nail this stuff directly to the roof trusses? Is there any specific reason for there needing to be brandering?
I can’t see how the 100mm would make a difference unless the boards themselves are oddly sizes so that they wouldn’t cover the 600mm gap or something.

Probably best to call them and ask.

Lupus

Honorary Master

View attachment 726398

That's what's in my study but with a silver inlay between the grooves, looks really nice and with just that my study is a different temp to what the rest of the house, if I didn't have to fix a bathroom I'd probably do my lounge with it too.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
That's what's in my study but with a silver inlay between the grooves, looks really nice and with just that my study is a different temp to what the rest of the house, if I didn't have to fix a bathroom I'd probably do my lounge with it too.
What material is it? Do you have a pic?

Lupus

Honorary Master
What material is it? Do you have a pic?
Not on me unfortunately, it's like a plasticy cardboard feel, it's about 2cm wide with cardboard lattice almost inbetween. I had some left over but when I got a bunch of guys come over to clean up some rubble they removed it with the rubble :-(.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Not on me unfortunately, it's like a plasticy cardboard feel, it's about 2cm wide with cardboard lattice almost inbetween. I had some left over but when I got a bunch of guys come over to clean up some rubble they removed it with the rubble :-(.
PVC I guess?

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
Isotherm?

Maybe made by same people as Isoboard?
Think it's the same stuff. Basically it is polystyrene. Comes in various thicknesses. You don't need to put insulation above it.

You do want to make sure it doesn't move if wind gets into the roof void. The sound will drive you nuts.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Think it's the same stuff. Basically it is polystyrene. Comes in various thicknesses. You don't need to put insulation above it.

You do want to make sure it doesn't move if wind gets into the roof void. The sound will drive you nuts.
I've done actual polystyrene insulation panels in my ceiling in the passage, it also actually makes a difference. Was considering doing that as well as the pvc.

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
I can’t see how the 100mm would make a difference unless the boards themselves are oddly sizes so that they wouldn’t cover the 600mm gap or something.

Probably best to call them and ask.
Yeah. I'll probably swing past their offices this afternoon, just thought I'd ask the question here in the meantime, see if anyone has done this before.

On reading their pdf a bit more closely, it mentions brandering around the edge of the room - which makes more sense. Plus, I can take the existing brandering and cut it to pieces that will fill the gap between the trusses and mount it that way.

So there isn't any critical purpose that the brandering fulfills?

Temujin

Executive Member

I haven't done without brandering, but piss easy to diy, just clip and slot everything together... 700mm would be max width apart they recommend for clips, so closer spacing would be better I guess... just give em a call and ask, there should be no reason 600mm is a problem

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict

You can install it with or without that usual fibre matt insulation on top - the isoboards makes no difference to sound insulation, for that you still need the mat. I'lllook at maybe installing the mats in rooms and leaving just isoboards in the rest of the house.

What I also like about these, if that you can go room for room, don't need big bang :)

dews

I can vouch for the PVC ceilings. They come in many different colors/patterns and shiny/matt finishes, and are super light weight and easy to install. in Jacaranda street in Centurion there is a shop called "PVC Factory" that have the different cornishes and ceiling boards.
You can easily replace a single board if you put a hole through it, but with the old boards its a big mission.
I made the mistake of repairing my old ceiling in the living room which was sagging, instaed of just replacing it with PVC boards. After 400+ screws and 4 coats of paint I was done and regretted the whole ordeal.
PVC ceilings is the way to go.

T-Man

I had IsoBoard (40 or 50mm) in my previous place. Excellent heat insulator, crappy sound insulator.
Anything that moves on the board makes a big noise. Rats are the worst.

d