ISP Afrihost to buy competitor Axxess

rpm

Admin
Staff member
less competition... how can this be a good thing?
This is one way to see it, but another way is to see two smaller companies joining forces to create a bigger company, giving them more negotiation power and better economies of scale – hence giving them the ability to compete more effectively against the large players. Here you can think about getting their own IPC, lower wholesale bandwidth rates etc.

JStrike

Honorary Master
Guess some "unsustainable" guys are eating humble pie :D

Well done AH! :cool:

Why would they be eating humble pie? WA are still a far more successful company
Not that I use them, but lets be honest here

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
This is one way to see it, but another way is to see two smaller companies joining forces to create a bigger company, giving them more negotiation power and better economies of scale – hence giving them the ability to compete more effectively against the large players. Here you can think about getting their own IPC, lower wholesale bandwidth rates etc.

own IPC would be great, need a new backbone for uncapped :p

Shayd

Expert Member
If it wasn't sustainable wouldn't you expect competitors to go under or sell to other companies just like this deal? How many sub R30/gig companies will be left after the merger?

Hmm lets see:

1 Webafrica(LOL)
2 Cybersmart
3 Mweb
4 Afrihost
5 Telkom
6 Openweb

Anybody of significance I have left out? I mean other than the mom and pop resellers?

Shayd

Expert Member
Why would they be eating humble pie? WA are still a far more successful company
Not that I use them, but lets be honest here

I dunno about more successful, these are both private companies that don't report publicly their finances. But if I had to take a stab at it I would say the more profitable one is the one buying its' competitors.

JStrike

Honorary Master
I dunno about more successful, these are both private companies that don't report publicly their finances. But if I had to take a stab at it I would say the more profitable one is the one buying its' competitors.
That is not an indicator at all. And while they might both be private companies, the finances of both are fairly well known (in rough terms)

rogerwe

Axxess was never competition for Afrihost. Axxess's billing and support was very good but their offerings were never ground breaking. Their uncapped attempt was a joke. Throttled to 3kb/s on a good day.

Wag

Expert Member
Well done Afrihost. and a smile of sympathy to all the pie eaters

Stigmata101

No to be funny or anything, but who gives a clap. The only ISP that is offering an almost true uncapped experience is MWEB.

I see a lot of bring on more special comments, aka the R1 thing. That special is such $hit, I gave it a try and now I am shaped into oblivion. My normal Speedtest is 49ms, 3.46Mbps & 0.44Mbps, after CrappiHost account management it is now 55ms, 0.08Mbps & 0.4Mbps, all that after just 50GB, FAIL!!!!

CrappiHost service also SUCKS, still waiting for someone to call me and explain what is going on.

I ALSO THINK IT IS ABOUT TIME THE ISSUE AROUND THE TERM 'UNCAPPED' IS ADDRESSED. The way the ISP sell it and what you get is two different things, they should rather advertise always on internet and not uncapped. having a 4mb line running at 2% of its capacity, sure you not disconnected but you cannot do anything with the account, that is like having a car that can travel at 200km/h but once you have done 50km you can only travel at 4km/h, you may as well walk.:crying:

devilfp

Another + for Afrihost. Grow bigger and become an alternative to Mweb!

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
No to be funny or anything, but who gives a clap. The only ISP that is offering an almost true uncapped experience is MWEB.

I see a lot of bring on more special comments, aka the R1 thing. That special is such $hit, I gave it a try and now I am shaped into oblivion. My normal Speedtest is 49ms, 3.46Mbps & 0.44Mbps, after CrappiHost account management it is now 55ms, 0.08Mbps & 0.4Mbps, all that after just 50GB, FAIL!!!!

CrappiHost service also SUCKS, still waiting for someone to call me and explain what is going on.

I ALSO THINK IT IS ABOUT TIME THE ISSUE AROUND THE TERM 'UNCAPPED' IS ADDRESSED. The way the ISP sell it and what you get is two different things, they should rather advertise always on internet and not uncapped. having a 4mb line running at 2% of its capacity, sure you not disconnected but you cannot do anything with the account, that is like having a car that can travel at 200km/h but once you have done 50km you can only travel at 4km/h, you may as well walk.:crying:

Afrihost has amazing capped and crappy uncapped. This is well known.

Necuno

Court Jester
Till you use ssl/vpn and related then you are ****ed. Only ISP close to the real deal is OpenwebGold where you can max your line 24.7 without getting terminated.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Till you use ssl/vpn and related then you are ****ed. Only ISP close to the real deal is OpenwebGold where you can max your line 24.7 without getting terminated.

My mweb is 100% fine for vpn/ssl, watcha talking about? I do tons of work over VPN, to many sites around the world.

elvis_presley

Expert Member

There's plenty of ISP competition, but not a lot at the top-end where mweb, IS and telkom play. The new afrixxess company will be closer to playing in that league. We need more infrastructure owners, and less resellers, which is what axxess/afrihost/openweb/webafrica/etc.... are. The resellers are just fighting over the scraps that telkom/IS allow them to scrape together from markups.