ISP Afrihost to buy competitor Axxess

bridgetroll

My mweb is 100% fine for vpn/ssl, watcha talking about? I do tons of work over VPN, to many sites around the world.

Can I ask what VPN you use?

I use openvpn (udp port 1143) but the speed via mweb is horrid. I get better speed by running the openvpn server on port 443/TCP and fooling mweb's system into thinking its an https page, but that sort of hack is just a bad idea long term.

Twista

Well done Afrihost...

Hope this means good news for your loyal supporters.

Stigmata101

Afrihost has amazing capped and crappy uncapped. This is well known.

Clearly, i am with Axxess ATM. I think that will be changing soon.

BTW, i am not interested in DL'ing 100's of GB a month, the price of uncapped and the 50GB account were so close, did not realise that the uncapped was a 50GB account in uncapped clothing.

Necuno

Court Jester
My mweb is 100% fine for vpn/ssl, watcha talking about? I do tons of work over VPN, to many sites around the world.

try a little test:
download as much as you can whole day and everyday. I'd bet you will get a warning as 100% of previous users who did that got and had to upgrade to business or gtfo. Sure my mweb is also fine as it is as I don't download 24.7 or move large quantities of data over ssl/vpn.

openweb however as per garry and few other users I know already confirmed you can download 24.7 at max constantly without getting a warning or use ssl/vpn to your heart's content.

so you on for the test? maybe read the tos/aup first...

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Can I ask what VPN you use?

I use openvpn (udp port 1143) but the speed via mweb is horrid. I get better speed by running the openvpn server on port 443/TCP and fooling mweb's system into thinking its an https page, but that sort of hack is just a bad idea long term.

Just a standard pptp VPN - I use it via my Mikrotik router, but have also just made connections straight from Windows. I don't leech on it, just use it for actual work purposes. It pushes quite a lot of traffic, but nothing insane.

TofuMofu

Honorary Master
I'm an Axxess client and I'm happy it's Afrihost as both have been superb ISP's :)

Creag

The Boar's Rock
No to be funny or anything, but who gives a clap. The only ISP that is offering an almost true uncapped experience is MWEB.

I see a lot of bring on more special comments, aka the R1 thing. That special is such $hit, I gave it a try and now I am shaped into oblivion. My normal Speedtest is 49ms, 3.46Mbps & 0.44Mbps, after CrappiHost account management it is now 55ms, 0.08Mbps & 0.4Mbps, all that after just 50GB, FAIL!!!!

CrappiHost service also SUCKS, still waiting for someone to call me and explain what is going on.

I ALSO THINK IT IS ABOUT TIME THE ISSUE AROUND THE TERM 'UNCAPPED' IS ADDRESSED. The way the ISP sell it and what you get is two different things, they should rather advertise always on internet and not uncapped. having a 4mb line running at 2% of its capacity, sure you not disconnected but you cannot do anything with the account, that is like having a car that can travel at 200km/h but once you have done 50km you can only travel at 4km/h, you may as well walk.:crying:

1404279460.png

1404284608.png

I switched AH capped to AH uncapped this month and my speedtest earlier confirms what looks like a vicious throttle :(

Last edited:

elvis_presley

Expert Member
try a little test:
download as much as you can whole day and everyday. I'd bet you will get a warning as 100% of previous users who did that got and had to upgrade to business or gtfo. Sure my mweb is also fine as it is as I don't download 24.7 or move large quantities of data over ssl/vpn.

openweb however as per garry and few other users I know already confirmed you can download 24.7 at max constantly without getting a warning or use ssl/vpn to your heart's content.

I've done plenty of massive downloads, but not over VPN. I routinely grab large files like wikipedia dumps, the musicbrainz database, etc. No need to resort to VPN hacks - if you want to grab a torrent, it comes down fast enough to not worry about hacks. Same for my astraweb news. I'm well aware of the VPN clause, and never got the big deal. VPN abuse is there in their TOS... why do people complain when they abuse it and get kicked off? Mweb don't kick off for high non-backdoor usage, even if it is 24/7 leeching.

If the ONLY downside of paying R200 less for an mweb uncapped over openweb gold is "you can leech 24/7 over VPN" ... then I'm quite happy, because it's something I've never needed to do, and don't plan to, and I save R2400 a year. If you absolutely need to leech 24/7 over VPN, then don't say that the cheaper service that bans it is crap, pay the R200 more and use openweb gold. If they were the same price and one didn't support it, you'd have a valid point. But they aren't, and you don't. It's a very niche need, and you've found a niche product to satisfy that need. Everyone's happy!

Xzib1t

Expert Member
Not running any downloads. I use my it mainly for You Tube and downloading from Stream. Wouldn't have thought they were an issue.

Well then I must assume people get shaped at random

Cause I have done over 100 GB and I have almost not been shaped at all.

Necuno

Court Jester
I've done plenty of massive downloads, but not over VPN. I routinely grab large files like wikipedia dumps, the musicbrainz database, etc. No need to resort to VPN hacks - if you want to grab a torrent, it comes down fast enough to not worry about hacks. Same for my astraweb news. I'm well aware of the VPN clause, and never got the big deal. VPN abuse is there in their TOS... why do people complain when they abuse it and get kicked off? Mweb don't kick off for high non-backdoor usage, even if it is 24/7 leeching.

If the ONLY downside of paying R200 less for an mweb uncapped over openweb gold is "you can leech 24/7 over VPN" ... then I'm quite happy, because it's something I've never needed to do, and don't plan to, and I save R2400 a year. If you absolutely need to leech 24/7 over VPN, then don't say that the cheaper service that bans it is crap, pay the R200 more and use openweb gold. If they were the same price and one didn't support it, you'd have a valid point. But they aren't, and you don't. It's a very niche need, and you've found a niche product to satisfy that need. Everyone's happy!

We obviously have more than one version of true uncapped ;)

I'm quite happy with one mweb provide, but true uncapped can also mean whoring the line as much as you can which mweb doesn't provide for and those who users would say openweb is true and mweb not.

You're true uncapped isn't true uncapped for everybody. Everyone's happy! :D

Avenue

Expert Member
Didn't see this one coming. Awesome news though.

+1 that took me completely by surprise. I always thought it would be the other way round if anything.

Great news though, these are two fantastic ISP's. Afrihost is always at the forefront of price cuts and innovation, and now joined to axxess, this markets not going to know what hit it. Exciting times ahead.

devilfp

try a little test:

I can confirm this. If you try and do 24\7 with Mweb you get shaped BIG time!

elvis_presley

Expert Member
We obviously have more than one version of true uncapped ;)

I'm quite happy with one mweb provide, but true uncapped can also mean whoring the line as much as you can which mweb doesn't provide for and those who users would say openweb is true and mweb not.

You're true uncapped isn't true uncapped for everybody. Everyone's happy! :D

100% agred with the Everyone's happy bit!

"True uncapped" is a meaningless term. They're talking about "unmetered" which nobody does. Even OpenWeb's uncapped has a TOS on it.

My original point stands: one's more expensive, and can to something extra. Wow, that's amazing isn't it? Would NEVER have expected that! Rather than look at it from "Mweb can't do X" ... see it from the point of view "I saved R200, because I don't need X". It was a conscious decision to get the cheaper account that fits my needs 100%. Why pay more to get an account that provides that same 100%?

JStrike

Honorary Master
There's plenty of ISP competition, but not a lot at the top-end where mweb, IS and telkom play. The new afrixxess company will be closer to playing in that league. We need more infrastructure owners, and less resellers, which is what axxess/afrihost/openweb/webafrica/etc.... are. The resellers are just fighting over the scraps that telkom/IS allow them to scrape together from markups.
Really? As far as I was aware WebAfrica isn't just a reseller...

bridgetroll

Just a standard pptp VPN - I use it via my Mikrotik router, but have also just made connections straight from Windows. I don't leech on it, just use it for actual work purposes. It pushes quite a lot of traffic, but nothing insane.

Thanks. I'll try that. I use VPN for work, if I was getting capped for leaching I could understand but I was having speed issues just using SSH over Openvpn. Their bandwidth manager probably didn't recognise Openvpn and thought it was encrypted bit torrent or something.