ISP Afrihost to buy competitor Axxess

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Really? As far as I was aware WebAfrica isn't just a reseller...

That might have changed - I have to be honest, I havent kept an eye on them, they're pretty irrelevant nowdays - last time I looked at their offerings they still listed where they sourced the account traffic(Telkom, IS, etc).

I know they tried to build their own network, but that didn't work out in a rather spectacular way when they tested it. Maybe they resurrected the project?

Necuno

Court Jester
Oh. I really hope this doesn't mean they are going to **** up my Express+ account.
well if axxess can without notice decide that everyone must be moved from backbone A to backbone B, your Express+ might be out of the door soon...

krycor

Honorary Master
So will the axxess brand/accounts be switched to afrihost or will it still run as axxess??

cupofjoe

+1 that took me completely by surprise. I always thought it would be the other way round if anything.

Great news though, these are two fantastic ISP's. Afrihost is always at the forefront of price cuts and innovation, and now joined to axxess, this markets not going to know what hit it. Exciting times ahead.

My personal bet is that neither of those companies will exist a year from now.

Major shareholder of Axxess is Angus McRobert (the ex IS CEO). Part of the deal is that he's about to become a share holder in Afrihost. At the same time he is about to become joint CEO of Vox. My guess is that as soon as Vox de-lists they will buy Afrihost/Axxess probably for more that they were worth just like they did with @lantic. At which point they will retrench most of the Afrihost and Axxess staff and then try to turn the deal into a profit, which they will screw up like they always do.

Gerhardt

no wonder

No wonder companies like these are merging. Can YOU survive selling your products/services at R1?

Hmm lets see:

1 Webafrica(LOL)
2 Cybersmart
3 Mweb
4 Afrihost
5 Telkom
6 Openweb

Anybody of significance I have left out? I mean other than the mom and pop resellers?

Shayd

Expert Member
No wonder companies like these are merging. Can YOU survive selling your products/services at R1?

As a 2 month marketing stint with limits on which accounts are available yes I probably could. Those who regard internet access as a "premium" service and think they should be able to mark up every gig 100% are going to find no market going forward.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App

Last edited:

bridgetroll

As a 2 month marketing stint yes probably.

The problem with a pricing stunt is that you attract the kind of customer who will leave you the instant a competitor offers a cheaper price. Look at the abuse WebAfrica get here, when they used to be loved for being so cheap. I think cupofjoe might be onto the real reason for the specials.

Shayd

Expert Member
The problem with a pricing stunt is that you attract the kind of customer who will leave you the instant a competitor offers a cheaper price. Look at the abuse WebAfrica get here, when they used to be loved for being so cheap. I think cupofjoe might be onto the real reason for the specials.

QoS will become the determining factor for people when we are not paying some of the highest prices in the world for adsl. Until that time price will still be a primary factor.

Businesses may think differently right now but the vast majority of consumers do not.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Is it just me, or does it look like Franco is doing something unscrupulous to Andrew in that pic? :D

Goedgedacht

This is one way to see it, but another way is to see two smaller companies joining forces to create a bigger company, giving them more negotiation power and better economies of scale – hence giving them the ability to compete more effectively against the large players. Here you can think about getting their own IPC, lower wholesale bandwidth rates etc.

+1

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Well then I must assume people get shaped at random

Cause I have done over 100 GB and I have almost not been shaped at all.

+- 50Gb to date only :( .. if it's like this next month, I'll be going back to me capped limit or off somewhere else

Mant1s

I hope this wont mean that the R19/gb lite packages will b gone from axxess :( rly love this package

Dan C

Honorary Master
I hope this wont mean that the R19/gb lite packages will b gone from axxess :( rly love this package

Lots of better specials from Afrihost in the past. e.g. top-up at R14.50/gb later in the month. Even if you get a 1gb package from Afrihost, you get 1gb free. So 2gb for R29 (cheaper than axxess). Let's see if the packages will change :)

kay_emi

This is very good news

Sent from my GT-P7100 using MyBroadband Android App