ISP black ownership should be incentivised with a carrot, not a whip

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Forcing ISPs to have black owners is "legalised corruption"

New regulations in South Africa’s telecoms industry that force Internet Service Providers (ISPs) to have at least 30% black ownership will not work and are effectively a form of legalised corruption.

This is the view of one owner of a prominent South African ISP, who only agreed to give their unfiltered view about the controversial topic on condition of anonymity. Other large ISPs in South Africa declined to comment on the matter.

RaptorSA

Expert Member
Forcing ISPs to have black owners is “legalised corruption” fhokken racist.
The end.

*ring* *ring*
*ring* *ring*
"Sawubona, you've reached the constitutional court, we're not available at present, please leave a message after the beep"

We now get to see for how long civil society is going to keep adhering to uncivil laws.
Let me be clear, if you're my ISP and you bow to this, you've lost my business and will make goddamn sure I jump ISPs until I find one with some balls.

Last edited:

HunterNW

Honorary Master
“What I am hoping will happen is this president of ours, who has been a significant benefactor of these previously mandated equity requirements, sees the abyss that this economy is plummeting towards and realises that these redistribution policies do not increase a company’s value; they dilute it,” the owner said.

Yip.... Fckers can't do fokol, everything must be handed over so they can either fck it up or pi$$ it out.

mjzar

Our bullsh*t constitution with its 'fair' discrimination is coming home to roost

GhostSixFour

!=Ghost64
Furthermore, individual licensees must have a minimum of 30% of their ownership equity held by historically disadvantaged groups (HDG), including black people, women, people with disabilities, and youth.

Can someone explain HTF youth could possibly be historically disadvantaged?

Benedict A55h0le

Expert Member
Yes, no sunset clause on BEE. If you're black you're automatically mentally handicapped disadvantaged and incapable of anything.
I always felt that BEE is very racist to black people, yet all black people always support this racism.

Reactions: Swa

schuits

Expert Member
but its easier to steal an existing one, that go through the pain of starting a NEW one.

so if we cant make it, steal it.
and then run it into the ground and complain it failed because of inequality etc.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Regarding this...

“What is the difference in deciding who to award a tender to versus mandating that 30% of an industry must be given away to any black individual with absolutely no qualifications or conditions?”

A case which wasn't worth the media's attention.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Those selfish, racist ISPs who currently refuse to sell their shares to BEE's must be forced to sell it.

(that is their logic).

juanthyme

cue Pavlonian response....

article is factually incorrect in terms of deadlines - there is currently no deadline for compliance with the requirement to have 30% ownership by black people (the obligation has been suspended pending process that need to happen with the department of trade, industry and competition