ISP leaking defaulters data...

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
It isn't wise to public announce defaulters, but to pursue the appropriate channels and processes. A process which should be laid out in their own legal framework.

In the past couple of weeks, a lot of law type stuff has been discussed on Mybroadband. Much which had to do with contract law thanks to the case of EWC and people who have issues with rental agreements. It all comes down to circumstances and remedies. Section 14 and common law will go in dry... best to get proper legal advice or assistance for putting on the lube.

I am happy to be debt-free.

I have changed my own business into a cash-only business, no credit, and services, or product, which sprout from my business activities are purely based reselling for avoiding such dilemmas. It just wasn't worth the risk for my size of the business, coming from prior experiences. All my SLAs are ironclad retainers, that is if I am able to maintain said performances.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Then why did they remove it?
Two things about publishing something you shouldn't in public. 1) is to immediately apologise and 2) is to remove said content. Not too many apologise, but an apology goes a long way when said content is to be judged and may even get you off scot-free, well free of penalties.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
1.) I'm not a customer
2.) Someone linked this to me when they stumbled across it via Google.

They're leaking defaulters, amounts owed, names, domains and ID numbers...

Not cool. There's a duty of care for customer data, which companies don't seem to do...
Thanks for this, your brother actually alerted me via email about it.
Ask Honeybadger?
I have an active dispute with them. **** them.

To stoop this low after they've lied to me. I have made a thread about them accidentally sending me a mail which was supposed to be internal but some idiot CC'd me by accident.

Some background: I told them I have more than one smart TV and I stream 4k content. They then assured me that my account will be truly uncapped. Lo and behold, a couple of months later they complained amongst each other that I used more than 1.5TB and thus they have to bill me more or cancel my line. How and who added me to the email trail is a mystery.

I then immediately told them to cancel my line, as their actions were both misleading from the outset, and now, in breach of POPI by publishing this ****.

I will ****ing show them!!!

Pablo37

Why do the words “willfully and with malicious intent” come to mind?
I merely googled one of the listed ID numbers and also a company registration number obtained from their site’s Google cache and this pops up. NOT ACCEPTABLE!

VanillaTrouble2.jpg

Even if the creditor has or does make good, it won't change the outcome until maybe one day the cache is refreshed.
I’ve always pushed for supporting the smaller guys in the industry and these ‘boutique’ service providers but this has given me serious pause.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Why do the words “willfully and with malicious intent” come to mind?
I merely googled one of the listed ID numbers and also a company registration number obtained from their site’s Google cache and this pops up. NOT ACCEPTABLE!

View attachment 784540

Even if the creditor has or does make good, it won't change the outcome until maybe one day the cache is refreshed.
I’ve always pushed for supporting the smaller guys in the industry and these ‘boutique’ service providers but this has given me serious pause.
They can request Google for the removal if it is your personal data you may even submit your own request. Google will mail you the status of said request. They do decline on occasion pending on criteria they themselves established in the policy.

koeksGHT

Dealer
Contract yourself into reputational damages... not possible.
Is it rep damage or the truth? We have credit scores, why can't someone tell others they are a nonpaying customer. The Hello Peter for people.

Swa

Honorary Master
Is it rep damage or the truth? We have credit scores, why can't someone tell others they are a nonpaying customer. The Hello Peter for people.
We have agencies for a reason. It's not really something that should be aired in public as we've seen what happens when companies like Telkom get involved in credit issues. We don't want unscrupulous companies to play judge, jury, and executioner.

In any case this is still available in google cache if you search the url. If there ever was a prime case for POPI this would have been it.

Hansolo

Contract yourself into reputational damages... not possible.
Hmnnnn T&Cs are mostly fake anyway. It can't be upheld if the T&C are unlawful. Otherwise people would have to give companies their firstborns if they didn't read the T&Cs. In the UK this would be a huge lawsuit because companies are supposed to practice data protection. And the is a huge breach of data protection. Check with a lawyer and sue imho.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Hmnnnn T&Cs are mostly fake anyway. It can't be upheld if the T&C are unlawful. Otherwise people would have to give companies their firstborns if they didn't read the T&Cs. In the UK this would be a huge lawsuit because companies are supposed to practice data protection. And the is a huge breach of data protection. Check with a lawyer and sue imho.
In law, unless something is explicitly stated then it goes both ways, and this is very important in any contract.

We need contracts, trust doesn’t cut it and that is why we have the law. Law is generally open to interpretation unless there is case law, and due to this, you will come across vagueness within the terms & conditions within a contract. Nonetheless, a contract needs to be explained in layman terms.

lkswan747

Expert Member
Never liked vanilla anything so now I know why. They are a bunch of shytes.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
We have something called circumstances and remedies, and you need to ask Vanilla under what circumstances their clients didn't pay and what remedies were within the contract or discussed in terms with settling the debt or continue the service. Vanilla surely put in motion to collect the outstanding debt? They didn't post that in the blog did they?

Service providers, in general, need to meet their agreements with their customers. The customer pay and in return the customer receives an agreed to service with expectancies and value (rights or obligations) to which the service provider must adhere to. In contracts, you will note that the service provider will put the onus on 'third-parties' as to when they are unable to meet the contract. In many cases this true, but it is also abused and hence it is vague.

We don't always have control over everything. This is why a reasonable system will allow error correction. The truth isn't always the truth, and the truth comes in various accounts and we need interpretation.

When others tell you that someone is a non-paying customer then you also need to understand why this someone isn't a paying customer, the why may very well be the person who told you. Also, Hellopeter doesn't list outstanding debts.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Every ISP I have ever dealt with charges for their services in advance. If you don't pay then you simply do not receive the service that you have not paid for. I don't understand how you can be in default with an ISP. You haven't signed a credit agreement with them, and they haven't extended any credit to you.

waylander

Expert Member
Every ISP I have ever dealt with charges for their services in advance. If you don't pay then you simply do not receive the service that you have not paid for. I don't understand how you can be in default with an ISP. You haven't signed a credit agreement with them, and they haven't extended any credit to you.
here's a scenario: i have my line rental with vanilla which I have had for 6 months, there's a 30 day cancellation clause and I pay via EFT - I decide on the 25th of the month to tell them I'm canceling but I won't be paying for the following month. They have to foot the bill with Openserve for the following month while I didn't pay them what they were due and my account is now in arrears.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
here's a scenario: i have my line rental with vanilla which I have had for 6 months, there's a 30 day cancellation clause and I pay via EFT - I decide on the 25th of the month to tell them I'm canceling but I won't be paying for the following month. They have to foot the bill with Openserve for the following month while I didn't pay them what they were due and my account is now in arrears.
That's the cost of doing business, and you'd pass that on to debt collectors instead, practice is already established.