ISP leaking defaulters data...

Swa

Honorary Master
In law, unless something is explicitly stated then it goes both ways, and this is very important in any contract.

We need contracts, trust doesn’t cut it and that is why we have the law. Law is generally open to interpretation unless there is case law, and due to this, you will come across vagueness within the terms & conditions within a contract. Nonetheless, a contract needs to be explained in layman terms.
You can't contract yourself out of obeying the law.

wombling

You know, at some level you just gotta sympathize with the guys. Its hard enough to run a business as it is with tight margins and then on top of it you have people who run your business into debt by not paying.

Yeah, what they did wasn't cool. At least it happened to the right people. I guess their personal info was only worth the amount they didn't pay.

I doubt the POPI act could have prevented this. It would have just meant actual consequences for Vanilla.

Nemoneiros

Expert Member
You know, at some level you just gotta sympathize with the guys. Its hard enough to run a business as it is with tight margins and then on top of it you have people who run your business into debt by not paying.

Yeah, what they did wasn't cool. At least it happened to the right people. I guess their personal info was only worth the amount they didn't pay.

I doubt the POPI act could have prevented this. It would have just meant actual consequences for Vanilla.
Nope, if you're going to be a dick and then play the victim, there's none of that for them. Just imagine I say that you did x because of y, someone uses that intel for whatever means. But hey, kom ons leer hom 'n les en als is mos reg? It's the RSA thing to do :thumbsup:

ryu

Expert Member
damn! will avoid them like the plague.
that's just cruel and unusual punishment.

Craig

Honorary Master

At least one person on that list had a dispute with them which is why his name is on there. I hope they get taken to task for this.

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master

We also have to sympathize with hungry people that steal? Horny people that rape?

Swa

Honorary Master

I don't, at all. We don't know both sides. People get blacklisted by Telkom for accounts they cancelled and then get billed for all the time. Someone might not have received receive for which they didn't get a refund and then refused to pay further.

It might not have but at least there would have been severe penalties. May even have forced the business to close down.

Daruk

Honorary Master
I don't have a problem with them publishing this info. If true, it's in the public interest. If not, they'll pay.
Lol, if Telkom can blacklist people who are paying clients through admin error, you can be sure some of these people listed may have actually been put up in error.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Lol, if Telkom can blacklist people who are paying clients through admin error, you can be sure some of these people listed may have actually been put up in error.
Quite possible. But that doesn't change the legality or otherwise, as you of course know.

wombling

Nope, if you're going to be a dick and then play the victim, there's none of that for them. Just imagine I say that you did x because of y, someone uses that intel for whatever means. But hey, kom ons leer hom 'n les en als is mos reg? It's the RSA thing to do :thumbsup:
Not paying is a VERY South African way of dealing with things. In just about every sphere of South African business this is how people behave. Pick an industry - South Africa as a country has a massive amount of defaulters. Vanilla never broke any laws and despite what they did being unethical it was still within the bounds of what is legal.

Right now there doesn't seem to be much info as to why this even happened.

wombling

At least one person on that list had a dispute with them which is why his name is on there. I hope they get taken to task for this.
I agree that there are innocent people in this most likely. Its unfortunate but before they get "taken to task" as you put it there needs to be some info as to what happened. This could easily have been someone leaving the business and giving them the bird on the way out. Happens more often than you would think.

wombling

I don't, at all. We don't know both sides. People get blacklisted by Telkom for accounts they cancelled and then get billed for all the time. Someone might not have received receive for which they didn't get a refund and then refused to pay further.

It might not have but at least there would have been severe penalties. May even have forced the business to close down.
Absolutely - we don't know both sides.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
I agree that there are innocent people in this most likely. Its unfortunate but before they get "taken to task" as you put it there needs to be some info as to what happened. This could easily have been someone leaving the business and giving them the bird on the way out. Happens more often than you would think.
I am on that list. A lot of people on here know me. I couldnt and shall not pay for a service which wasnt delivered to me to my satisfaction. In fact, they just ****ing lied in their advertising.

I explained to them that i am willing to sign up with them.
I explained that i use a lot of data because of streaming
I reach something like 1.5TB of data
They hmmm and haaa amongst themselves in an email and then discuss terminating my account
Some po3s adds me to the email trail so now i see what their intentions are
I tell them to go **** themselves
You are now on our name and shame list.

Honestly?

My ID number is now indexed by Google, I will make that ****er of a CEO of theirs' life hell - mind you, he's a member on here and has not made a single comment in their defence.

So, please dont blame me for being on the offensive. Even if i fail legally, I'm working on a plan to tarnish their names.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Doxing appears nowhere in our common or statutory law. That which is not expressly forbidden is ipso facto not illegal.
Unless, as suggested is the case with at least one of these individuals, the person has a valid dispute with Vanilla. In that case defamation would be applicable.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Unless, as suggested is the case with at least one of these individuals, the person has a valid dispute with Vanilla. In that case defamation would be applicable.
Depends on the precise nature of the dispute and the contracted terms.

And yes. If the reputation harm is wrongful, an action for defamation can be brought. Of course not all reputational harm is wrongful, as you know. Also, court records are generally open (exceptions are certain categories of crime involving minors or state secrets, for example) as a matter of public interest.

Last edited: