ISP provided VOIP Service on Cell-phones

Herbivore

Good morning.

I was wondering if there is any technical reason a cell-phone, with appropriate software, connected to your home network would not be usable as a VOIP phone on ISP provided VOIP services?

Herbivore

Thanks for the prompt reply :)

I had asked Home Connect if I could do that in addition to a normal corded VOIP phone and the person who replied said I will not be able to do that. I could not think of any reason why that might be so I thought I would ask on mybroadband.

daneza

I don't see a reason why that shouldn't work, if they give you normal SIP login credentials. There's a chance they might limit concurrent logins, so you can't be logged in with router and cellphone at the same time. But have a go and report back.

It's probably just that they don't want to provide support for people running it on a cellphone.

I had my Fresh Phone account running on my pc 2 years ago, but had an issue loading funds and didn't bother again.

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
Good morning.

I was wondering if there is any technical reason a cell-phone, with appropriate software, connected to your home network would not be usable as a VOIP phone on ISP provided VOIP services?
I have two VOIP phones at home and both myself and my wife have Zoiper on our phones. We have an 087 number. If somebody calls that number all our phones ring.

https://www.axxess.co.za/voice/calltime

A potential problem with using a softphone App to make voip calls is that the app could sporadically hang, crash or restart during use, as is the case with any App, especially after IOS / Android updates. A simple restart of the app generally fixes the issue.

Secondly, a good wifi connection to the router is essential, as a voip call is only as good as the internet connection it travels over. Latency from poor wifi can cause terrible jitter during calls.

If possible, consider purchasing an app like Bria that enables G729 codec, it uses less bandwidth and goes a long way to maximize call quality on congested or slow networks.

Lastly, ensure SIP Algorithm is enabled in router security settings, and away you go!

Last edited:

smc

Also, many VOIP apps eat your battery, unless they are capable of using push notifications.

Herbivore

Thanks everyone :)

A potential problem with using a softphone App to make voip calls is that the app could sporadically hang, crash or restart during use, as is the case with any App, especially after IOS / Android updates. A simple restart of the app generally fixes the issue.

Secondly, a good wifi connection to the router is essential, as a voip call is only as good as the internet connection it travels over. Latency from poor wifi can cause terrible jitter during calls.

If possible, consider purchasing an app like Bria that enables G729 codec, it uses less bandwidth and goes a long way to maximize call quality on congested or slow networks.

Lastly, ensure SIP Algorithm is enabled in router security settings, and away you go!
Would additional latency from a Wi-Fi range extender make it unusable?

Any recommendations on IP phone brands?

Wi-fi Range extenders would definitely decrease voice quality due to increased latency.

A great "wireless" IP Phone is the Yealink W56P IP DECT Phone, they sell for around R 1999 including VAT at Makro. We also provide them at same price and demo units and discounted rate should you require. The handset uses DECT technology to provide +-50 meter range indoor, and up to 300 meters of outdoor range. Because the phone's bay station is connected directly to the router, the experience is exactly the same as using an IP Phone connected via ethernet.

dillydog

The Yealink W53P is cheaper and is also a great phone, it uses the same base and the has the same signal specs as the W56P (Now replaced with the W60P in South Africa)