ISPs claim Telkom’s cheap Openserve fibre prices are below cost

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member

Prominent ISPs in South Africa have raised concerns that Telkom’s fibre pricing may be anti-competitive as it is sold below cost.

Telkom Retail is currently offering a 25/25Mbps fibre package on the Openserve network at R449 per month - the cheapest on the market.

Telkom is also running a promotion for a 25/5Mbps package in april for R399 per month on a 12-month contract.

Vorastra

Executive Member

Prominent ISPs in South Africa have raised concerns that Telkom’s fibre pricing may be anti-competitive as it is sold below cost.

Telkom Retail is currently offering a 25/25Mbps fibre package on the Openserve network at R449 per month - the cheapest on the market.

Telkom is also running a promotion for a 25/5Mbps package in april for R399 per month on a 12-month contract.
So what's the game?
Supplementing Telkom wholesale losses with Telkom retail revenue?

Reactions: Swa

ghostRgg

Expert Member
Brought this up before and got told it's fair because they own the infrastructure. Same is happening in many fibre rollouts where the sister/other company is an ISP which sells deals below what is impossible for other isps to compete with. It's a tactic that honestly is a grey area.

Those moaning that isps are overcharging and milking consumers need to look at the actual network costs. It's not just a line rental fee, it's switches, backup routes, software, interconnects, backhauls costs, international routes, local routes, ASN costs, IP address (expensive and running out here) and even more involved.

ghostRgg

Expert Member
So what's the game?
Supplementing Telkom wholesale losses with Telkom retail revenue?
Basically why I'm not a fan of this. Other networks are doing it though. Even if their ISP makes a loss, the line rental/infrastructure provider picks up it anyway since they make rental on it. Cheaper and you get more users moving over to it. Actually a good tactic but shady as hell.

Corelli

Expert Member
I wish openserve can come to my area. I would pay half of what I pay Vuma, and still get a faster line.

Seriously I never had issues with Telkom but everyday I see my community page members complain about long downtimes with Afrihost and MWeb, and I smile cause I dont have issues.

Its about growing the userbase. Amazon ran for about 8 years at a loss, Netflix has been running at a loss just to get users.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
Bwahahahahaha - good luck on subscribing to this. Telkom billing will make a mistake and empty your bank account!

randomcat

Expert Member
568zdk.jpg

Swa

Honorary Master
They're selling it below what they're charging the resellers, not selling it below cost. There's a big difference there. If you don't like it then start providing your own services. We shouldn't have this separation of network and ISP in any case.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
They're selling it below what they're charging the resellers, not selling it below cost. There's a big difference there. If you don't like it then start providing your own services. We shouldn't have this separation of network and ISP in any case.
It's a kak separation. Makes everything difficult for everyone.

Just a method to fleece.

Reactions: Swa

mr_norris

Expert Member
why are you comparing an FNO to an ISP?
Headline: ISP's claim Telkom's cheap Openserve Fibre prices are below cost

On a less serious note, it was only a matter of time before people started complaining about Vuma. I thought I'd get in early on the action :D