ISPs confirm free off-peak data for Rain customers

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
ISPs confirm free off-peak data for Rain customers

Rain recently stated that it would offer free off-peak data to all its active fixed-LTE customers from 1 December 2018.

The company said that customers with fixed LTE packages would receive off-peak data for a period of 19 hours (23:00 until 18:00) every day, in addition to the standard data they received according to their package details.

Dan C

Honorary Master
Fair enough. Some areas have good speeds. I get full coverage at home but download speeds generally never go above like 5mbps. Perhaps I should bring the router to the office and see what it does here.
What router do you have. If you have a B618 , set it to 2600Mhz

Pixual

Expert Member
Here on Durban's Berea I have been using Rain since it launched with Afrihost a year ago and apart from one period where I couldn't upload anything for a couple of days, it has been consistently good. Always well above 10Mbps down and usually the same (or faster) for uploads.

When I had the issue with the uploads I thought I would try out the Cell C LTE product which I got from Web Africa. I have to say at the outset that trying to order that sim in the first place was damn near impossible. Axxess simply didn't follow through with delivery and WA's ordering process wasn't much better. In the end it got to me and for the first couple of months it was great. I was getting decent enough speeds consistently so I decided to downgrade my Rain sim to the lowest package and upgrade the Cell C sim to the 200GB max deal.

Almost as soon as I did this the speeds on Cell C from about 4pm onwards deteriorated so badly that it became unusable. I could barely load Facebook, let alone try to stream anything. Support from WA regarding the issue was among the worst I have ever had the misfortune of experiencing. They really don't have a clue. At all.

A couple of months ago I cancelled the Cell C and bumped up my Rain fixed LTE sim (which I thankfully hadn't cancelled) back to the 220GB option. Since then it's been plain sailing and now that we're getting extra data I am very happy to continue as a subscriber.

SilverNodashi

Expert Member
What router do you have. If you have a B618 , set it to 2600Mhz
I think it's the tower we're on. I have the B618. Specifying the frequency doesn't change much. We also have a 11dbi antenna and get full signal

SilverNodashi

Expert Member
15 years ago people were content with 128kb. Now if something is 10Mbps people call it crawling. I'll happily pay R300 for uncapped 4Mbps.
If it runs at 4Mbps stable, yes, but ours is like a roller coaster.

Last edited:

phpta

Agree with slow LTE-A network probs; I reported this to MWeb some 15 days ago with a spreadsheet showing that more than 50% of the 145 speed tests I've done over the last 12m in Pta East/Equestria showed a download speed of less than 5Mbps with many in the 0.57 (yes 0.57) to 1.8 Mbps range and have just had a MWeb response telling me that 'Rain said problem is tower congestion and they have no plan to improve it'. In other words GGF!
MWeb consultant refused to give me any Rain contact details as they had to deal with all queries but could only offer fibre as a possible resolution!!
Maybe Rain closed out further applications for fixed LTE-A as first step to phase out fixed and push to clients to mobile but I think it shows a pathetic attitude to customer service - they should learn from DSTV who has previously shown a similar attitude to complaints about service, reruns, etc and are now paying the price - what goes around, comes around, Mr Roos.
what's the experience like with CellC as a LTE replacement in Pta East, please ??