UnUnOctium

Expert Member
This is ridiculous, none of them would have changed their prices if MWEB didn't make this announcement. Every time MWEB comes with a new price, all the others jumps on the bandwagon (not that they have a choice:)).

What bothers me though, is the fact that MWEB is now in control of pricing, they've got the entire market by the *shorts*. If they decide to no longer pass the savings to the consumer, the others will probably do the same.

Truth. That's usually why regulation of some form is almost always needed.

What compounds this factor is that South Africans have in general been starved of data capacity and having only recently had the prospect of affordable uncapped, everyone is downloading everything they can find just for the sake of downloading (especially new users, admit it, all of you did). Once people get their binge, the average usage will decrease and the speeds can then be regarded as exactly that, instead of data transfer potential. I believe then will we start seeing even lower prices.

jammio

As a 4mb mweb user i would rather be shaped 10% less than have a 10% reduction in price. that being said if 1mb goes up to 2mb for a decent price i may downgrade

DarkStreet

Expert Member
Afrihost better make an announcement soon, people won't stick to the companies that keep their prices the same while everybody else is lowering or increasing their product value. I'm ready to move if they don't announce something in the next few days.

Cryax

So let me get this straight im also a little confused.
R190 for 384kbps
R150 for adsl line rental
R140 for voice
And this will soon be upgraded to 1mbps at the same price?

ranger

Expert Member
Were Telkom charging Telkom Internet IPC fees?

No. TI is not allowed to use IPC, and the product they use (which some other SAIX ISPs also use, priced per-GB, and significantly more expensive than IPC+international capacity) has not benefited from price reductions.

ranger

Expert Member
Where are Telkom? I haven't heard anything about pricing changes on any of their capped or uncapped products?

Telkom is in a closed period, product pricing change announcements aren't permitted. MWEB is breaking the rules, and whoever leaked documents to them is at risk of criminal proceedings for violating SENS rules.

MickeyD

RIP
Telkom is in a closed period, product pricing change announcements aren't permitted. MWEB is breaking the rules, and whoever leaked documents to them is at risk of criminal proceedings for violating SENS rules.
MWeb said they dropped prices due to the IPC price cuts as announced by ICASA.