ISPs respond to Telkom ADSL price increase

FNfal

Executive Member
Well all will be revealed tomorrow .Telkom will announce their results and that will be the end of the closed period .

F

Fudzy

No input from Afrihost? Find it interesting that they launch bundled products at almost half price while the rest moan about price increases.

BGE

Expert Member
Telkom give with the one hand... steal with the other... glad I don't have a fixed line!

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
No input from Afrihost? Find it interesting that they launch bundled products at almost half price while the rest moan about price increases.
Hehe it's coming out of their 'marketing budget' :p

Skerminkel

Expert Member
What am I missing? Why is it an issue if 384 will disappear over the next few months anyway?

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
What am I missing? Why is it an issue if 384 will disappear over the next few months anyway?
The speed will be upgraded, but the price increase will still be in effect as it applies to the "Fast" product line.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
The speed will be upgraded, but the price increase will still be in effect as it applies to the "Fast"
product line.
But it still means that the cheapest option is not available any more and you have to take the second cheapest, which becomes cheaper than before?

K3NS31

Expert Member
Fsucking Telkom. They're abusing their position as the owners of the infrastructure to make it more difficult for other ISP's to compete with Telkom Internet division. This rubbish should be illegal. Surely that's extremely anti-competitive? (Can't be proven I guess, not with such a small increase. Easy to explain away). In the end, us consumers, suffer.

scotty777

...doesn't know
I don't understand...

WTF is going on ... I have a 384 line... It's going up to 1mbps free of charge in August/Sept... But then it's going to cost me more anyway... So It's not a free of charge upgrade, it's me being forced onto a faster line?

So what is going on? I'm getting a free line upgrade, that I must pay for? Or am I given the option to stay where I am. Or do will I pay more, and say where I am??? :confused: . I feel so lost :(

MickeyD

RIP
I don't understand...

WTF is going on ... I have a 384 line... It's going up to 1mbps free of charge in August/Sept... But then it's going to cost me more anyway... So It's not a free of charge upgrade, it's me being forced onto a faster line?

So what is going on? I'm getting a free line upgrade, that I must pay for? Or am I given the option to stay where I am. Or do will I pay more, and say where I am??? :confused: . I feel so lost :(
No, you should not be paying anything extra. Your ISP has to carry the additional R10/m.

reactor_sa

Executive Member
R10 increase, and people make like it's the end of the world. It's worth it, R10 extra for more than double the line speed. It's a score.

If telkom kept 384,and made 1024 available for R10 more, everyone would be too happy to pay that R10.
Get over it, it's only R10!

MickeyD

RIP
R10 increase, and people make like it's the end of the world. It's worth it, R10 extra for more than double the line speed. It's a score.

If telkom kept 384,and made 1024 available for R10 more, everyone would be too happy to pay that R10.
Get over it, it's only R10!
And again, it's not every ADSL customer who will be expected to pay the R10/m.

roberth

I don't understand...

Your speed will increase from 384 to 1mbps.
If you have your line from Telkom directly, then it will not cost anything extra. But if you have your line through an ISP, then Telkom will charge that ISP an extra R10 per month for your line and your ISP will have to decide whether to increase what they charge you, or whether to absorb the extra R10 cost themselves. If your ISP increases what they charge you, it may be cheaper to get your line direct from Telkom, which is probably what Telkom is hoping for.
I.e. Telkom charge the public Rx per month for line rental, but charge ISP's Rx+R10.

Basically what Telkom is doing making it more expensive for ISP's to offer you an ADSL line. So Telkom either sell more lines directly to the public (who they hope will then buy bandwidth from Telkom), or they make more money if ISP's who bundle the line rental with their offerings.

So people aren't upset at a R10 increase, they are upset that there is now a double standard where Telkom are trying to squeeze the ISP's out of the ADSL line market.

MickZA

Executive Member
So people aren't upset at a R10 increase, they are upset that there is now a double standard where Telkom are trying to squeeze the ISP's out of the ADSL line market.
:confused: If the R10 increase to the ISPs discounted price is as onerous as you claim why is Gian (Afrihost) so desperate to take over my line?

Hi Mick

I see you haven't taken me up on my Telkom line offer yet and am really curious why?

(You see I'm so biased that I think it's an absolute no-brainer and you should leap at it. But you haven't. And that's why I'd really appreciate your feedback!)

I'd love to help sort it out for you if I can?

Thanks!