Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
ISPs want more time to meet BEE requirements

The Wireless Access Providers Association (Wapa) says several Internet service providers (ISPs) are concerned about the timing of the enforcement of interim transformation requirements from April 2022.

In 2008, the legislation which replaced VANS licences with ECS and ECNS licences introduced a new requirement that ISPs have 30% broad-based black economic empowerment (B-BBEE) equity held by historically disadvantaged groups (HDG).

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
The responses to this article are foreseeable, but all I have to add is, Massified.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Yep, we know what’s coming.
Just don’t know what Massified is though

Ramaphosa's latest exclusion lingo, or so I say,

He said many initiatives are already being implemented and gaining traction, but they needed to be “massified”. The campaign will also need to be more emphatic about the work the ANC has done to renew and rebuild, he said.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Since this thread is not getting any traction, I see the players aren't arguing the targets,

Individual licence holders suggested they did not have enough time to establish effective agreements to reach Level 4, as required.

Colmer stated other organisations have raised what Wapa also feels are valid concerns, not with the ultimate targets, but rather with the timing around interim targets.

I agree that the time is restrictive, but we all know that targets move up. Ultimately, the targets are supported, but it is all a timing issue.

Sometime ago I read that a proposal was made by a collective body to exclude start-ups, to be basically target exempt, but Google isn't helping at the moment. They won't exceed though, the EE amendment bill already provide such a provision, though the business should still will need to move along a compliance guideline otherwise they would hit a restructuring iceberg, and obviously the ICASA rules doesn't apply to EE, so it is over and above.

These policies will insist, and enhance, as long as businesses support it, but who am I to moan?

Yes, the 'market' do need to be more inclusive, but I don’t believe that targets are the solution, because targets do exclude others. Businesses need to contribute more to social development, education, etc. Spur on organic growth, which would involve inclusion. Incentivise 'organic' contributions.

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master
These ISP's should just listen to the government, if you look at the headline news about Department Justice and SARS IT etc., they seem to know what they're talking about when it comes to IT and security.