Issues with Installing XP on system with a GA-H110M-S2PH DDR3 MOBO

Dreadlock_tales

Good Day all.

My client has software (made by VW and Audi) that only runs on XP (for a dynamometer for vehicle diagnostics and testing) and his old "dyno PC" crashed out hard and he ordered a new one from us, problem is the only system we were able to get him was the one posted below. Now the Motherboard BIOS doesn't support IDE/ Legacy Boot mode so everytime we try to install XP we get a BSOD: 0x0000007B which is a SATA Driver failure. We have tried to streamline drivers onto an XP install with NLITE but still to no avail still BSOD, created a VM and did a VHD to DISK, no avail, even tried a Windows PE with Macrium and had no luck there either. would anyone be able to assist with any information? this is not meant to be a high powered system the only specifications are that it must be XP andXP the MoBo Must have a serial port to interface with the Dyno

System Specs:
300W ATX NON-MODULAR POWER SUPPLY UNIT.
CM ELITE 344 MICRO ATX DESKTOP CASE; BLACK / SILVER
GIGABYTE KM5300 BLACK SLIM USB MOUSE SET
GIGABYTE H110M-S2PH SKT1151 M-ATX MOTHERBOARD
DDR3 SUPPORT.
TRANSCEND 4GB DDR3-1600 DESKTOP DIMM CL11
Intel Pentium G4400 - 3.30 Ghz 3MB Cache SKT 1151

eg2505

Honorary Master
have you tried to flash the bios to a version that support IDE/legacy mode?
or if you say it can run with a VM, can you get a USB serial converter, and load win 7 for them?

halfmoonforever

Expert Member
or if you say it can run with a VM, can you get a USB serial converter, and load win 7 for them?

It's not the serial port that is the issue but that the software they're running only runs on Windows XP.

My recommendation would be to install Windows 7 basic and run the XP install in VM with the serial port passed through so they can run their software

DanDango

Honorary Master
Pci (not Pci-e) sata card, the card is older (Bios) and supports windows xp.

sajunky

Honorary Master
I heard horror storied about Skylake chipset and Windows 7. I don't think Intel chipset Skylake utility has support for XP. Without chipset drivers support and lack of AHCI/XHCI drivers you won't be succesful. You can install SATA PCI card, but without on-board BIOS you won't be able to boot from SATA drive. You won't be able to boot from USB either.
The only resque would come from SCSI PCI controller with on-board BIOS. For booting only, but what next?

I suggest to give up and use second-hand or refurbished PC. I have a nice Fujitsu-Siemens with P4/i865G, can swap for Skylake and extra cash. :)

Last edited:

eg2505

Honorary Master
I heard horror storied about Skylake chipset and Windows 7. I don't think Intel chipset Skylake utility has support for XP. Without chipset drivers support and lack of AHCI/XHCI drivers you won't be succesful. You can install SATA PCI card, but without on-board BIOS you won't be able to boot from SATA drive. You won't be able to boot from USB either.
The only resque would come from SCSI PCI controller with on-board BIOS. For booting only, but what next?

I suggest to give up and use second-hand or refurbished PC. I have a nice Fujitsu-Siemens with P4/i865G, can swap for Skylake and extra cash. :)

I do agree with this, unless you can get a VM to work with 7, might be too new for you to work with.
might a old laptop work for you? I have one of these thats very old but runs XP very well, PM me, (jhb based)

http://www.toshiba.co.il/en/discontinued-products/satellite-a100-232/

Dreadlock_tales

It's not the serial port that is the issue but that the software they're running only runs on Windows XP.

My recommendation would be to install Windows 7 basic and run the XP install in VM with the serial port passed through so they can run their software

we had tried that on an earlier setup and passing the Serial through by VM doesnt work. The Client contacted the software distributors a year or so back and they said there were working on a win7 version but since then, nothing.

Dreadlock_tales

I contacted the supplier and they ship the boards with the BIOS ver1.0.

eg2505

Honorary Master
then you need a older PC, no question about that...

agentrfr

Executive Member
What about a VM with hardware pass through as a last resort?

Also have you tried updating mobo bios? Yeah I know sounds silly but a few times I've had legacy drivers not work with ssds that a bios update fixed.

Dreadlock_tales

What about a VM with hardware pass through as a last resort?

Also have you tried updating mobo bios? Yeah I know sounds silly but a few times I've had legacy drivers not work with ssds that a bios update fixed.

when the Originally bombed out we set up something like that for him to test and it really didn't work well and it needs to be very accurate for their vehicle tuning etc so i think the VM and the Hardware passthrough added too many points of failure. the PC isnt using a SSD just a basic 1TB Seagate Desktop HDD.