It’s elitist to mark down bad spelling, universities insist [UK]

TheChamp

Honorary Master
University might let bad grammar slide.

However, your future prospective employer will look at your Curicalam Vitaya and that of the other guy and I tell you who he's gonna choose.
The whole thing is generally overrated, as it has been said already we are bad with spelling on this forum but pretty much everyone here is employed so it can't really be that bad. Sure spelling mistakes are bad but a flawless CV for someone who's useless at the job is equally useless.

Teachers at school and lecturers at university are generally lenient on spelling and grammar, unless it's a language test or exam so I am not sure what's the point of all this.

Blackhand

The whole thing is generally overrated, as it has been said already we are bad with spelling on this forum but pretty much everyone here is employed so it can't really be that bad. Sure spelling mistakes are bad but a flawless CV for someone who's useless at the job is equally useless.

Teachers at school and lecturers at university are generally lenient on spelling and grammar, unless it's a language test or exam so I am not sure what's the point of all this.
I once rejected a candidate because their cover letter and CV were riddled with spelling and grammar mistakes. It shows a certain laziness and lack of effort. A typo isn't a problem, a mess is. For context, I'm a programmer and this was for a programming job.

Depending on the job, maybe you could let it slide or it doesn't matter.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Does uneversity still have a plase in modern sociaty?

Last edited:

Mila

Honorary Master
Jeepers and it’s their first language.
You even have google to help you.

Oldfut

Hmmm, I was asked to do some external examining on a dissertation and criticised poor spelling, saying it could (not would) have the candidate / employee assessed negatively and a spell check was easy. This is particularly true amongst older "bosses" (in my experience) who are looking for reasons why recent graduates have a lower standard of education (to them old schoolers).

abzob

Honorary Master
and I got moered for not knowing my tenses....

Why do Afrikaans people use “are” in place of “is” when “is” is “is” in Afrikaans too?

Hy is daar.
He are there.

Edit: oh yes, “are” is also “is” in Afrikaans.

surface

Honorary Master
This, I remembered the hard time I had with the MXIT users, what they did not understand that it easier to be consistent than switching between Mxit and normal writing. Fixing thier shitty writing so that it could at least look like an adult wrote it.
I know exactly what you mean.

surface

Honorary Master
Interesting, so only the elite white males in Northern Europe speak English....

Two questions, as I speak English am I now an elite white male and does that mean I qualify for citizenship in "Northern Europe"? because I will gladly accept the latter
yes, Northern Europe is waiting for you. We will miss you here though but life happens. Hamba kahle.