'It’s hell to live like this' - life in Mitchells Plain, where residents fill potholes themselves

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
you surely are a know it all, probably wouldnt set foot in poorer communities but somehow knows all the underlying problems.
The article actually states it. The biggest underlying problem is unemployment. Go thank the ANC for that. On the current trajectory this problem will keep on increasing.

JohnStarr

Executive Member
Yes please DA...residents do it here themselves in PE too. And sometimes paint the roads.

SubtleBeast

Seems by all the #ustoo comments that this will turn into a hit series.
My guess is 3 seasons at least.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
All of Mitchells Plain does not pay rates, taxes, water and electricity?
The ones this article got their info from does not.

Activist Brenda King, who lobbies for and assists people with exorbitant municipal bills, is aware of thousands of people in crippling debt.

"Every second house [here] is in arrears," she estimates.

"It is depressing. People don't know what to do anymore. They don't know where to turn to. When they go to the municipal offices, they want money. One woman sent me a bill for R67 000. If you want to make arrangements, you need to have 10%. You're not working – where are you going to get it?"

Howdy

Expert Member
This article be like:
No, we don't want a sprained wrist.
The alternative is a broken arm.
There are no other choices.

Politics101
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
South Africa's debt to Metros and municipalities is unbelievably huge.

Most of these will eventually fail.

konfab

Honorary Master
Activist Brenda King, who lobbies for and assists people with exorbitant municipal bills, is aware of thousands of people in crippling debt.

“Look, I am not scared of calling things as I see them. We are ratepayers. We don’t get these services for free. Yet we are the ones who have to live in these conditions. No. I won’t accept that,” he said.
Mitchells Plain is one of the highest contributors of rates to the city, Norman Jantjies charges.

Same article... o_O

A dumping site further down Oranjekloof Road in Tafelsig. A local says he can't remember the last time the dirt there has been collected. (Photo: Tammy Petersen)
The municipality cleaning up illegal dumps sort of perpetuates the problem. Because then people treat it as a dumping site. Only real solution to illegal dumping would be to have a sniper that shoots anyone who does it.

mojoman

Expert Member
This happens in Wilgeheuwel as well and many MANY other places as well. There is little to no servicing of roads anymore
TIA...
Why do some people expect it to be like a first world country here? Its not home if its not fkd....Thats the ruling mindset...
:laugh: