'It’s hell to live like this' - life in Mitchells Plain, where residents fill potholes themselves

SlowInternet

Executive Member
Over here potholes are also being fixed by the residents. There's problems with electricity and water supply nearly every second day.

Refuse collection is never a certainty as the only truck is often broken or without diesel.

Open areas and stands looks like dump sites.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
If life is such hell, why are more and more people moving there? Or as friend @surface says, he's bussing them there.

Politics101
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Same reason more and more people are moving to Gauteng, even more than those who are moving to the WC, does that make GP heaven?

noxibox

Honorary Master
Only one of the lights in this "hotspot" works, the woman explains. She has reported it to the City, she says; while it's sometimes repaired, those wanting to do their dastardly deeds ensure that it's out again as soon as possible.
In another area every time the city repaired the traffic lights vandals from the local neighbourhood would smash them again with days. So eventually they stopped repairing them.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
From Zim and Moz? It's relative. Nobody is dying to go to the EC.
We were talking about people moving to the WC? I don't know why you are suddenly talking about people moving to the Eastern Cape. People move to big metros because there are more economic opportunities there, WC or Cape Town is no exception.

And no, it's not just people from Zim and Moz, it's people from within the country and beyond.

Gauteng has seen the greatest influx of people since 2016, more than three times the numbers seen in the Western Cape, ranked second. People from all provinces are moving to Gauteng, with more than half the international migrants also making their way there.

This is because of the economic strength of the province and the prospect for job opportunities, which make it an attractive destination, Stats SA said.

noxibox

Honorary Master
I only see one picture with a roadway and it's like baby potholes... really now?
It's also a fact that sometimes the cause is something deeper. So the city initially tries simply filling it in, but if that fails it becomes a bigger project.

NoLuck Chuck

South Africa has never been a developed country. Neither did everything just work.
I wasn't alluding to apartheid or that everything was perfect.

I remember a time before the Zuma era when things were WAY better than it is now though.

Howdy

Expert Member
We were talking about people moving to the WC? I don't know why you are suddenly talking about people moving to the Eastern Cape. People move to big metros because there are more economic opportunities there, WC or Cape Town is no exception.

And no, it's not just people from Zim and Moz, it's people from within the country and beyond.

Questioning what I'm saying and how you're questioning it, tells me you see the problem, just don't realize how it fits together (or won't acknowledge it).

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Questioning what I'm saying and how you're questioning it, tells me you see the problem, just don't realize how it fits together (or won't acknowledge it).
Yes I did see the problem, that's why I answered your question, I even clarified further when you needed clarification, there's nothing I need to acknowledge.

Big Rat

Workers are afraid to go into that area. get robbed, shot at. you fix this road, but the people want THAT road fixed first, bam, guns ans crap flies.
Then the poor people who wants a normal life get the short end of the stick as per usual. That is life on the flats...

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Workers are afraid to go into that area. get robbed, shot at. you fix this road, but the people want THAT road fixed first, bam, guns ans crap flies.
Then the poor people who wants a normal life get the short end of the stick as per usual. That is life on the flats...

Was about to say this isn’t a voting problem.

It’s thar whoever they vote for can’t actually deliver because they are their own worse enemy in these areas.