'It’s hell to live like this' - life in Mitchells Plain, where residents fill potholes themselves

konfab

Honorary Master
What is the DA doing for them? Or people in Khayalitsha? Doubt that a party like GOOD would be any better to be honest. Damned if you do vote, damned if you don't.
As much as they can. The root cause is that the police are deliberately under-resourced in this country because the ANC and friends cannot thrive if there is a police force that will prevent their crimes.

Hence why they want the police to be under the control of premiers.
https://www.sabcnews.com/sabcnews/da-says-it-is-finalising-private-members-bill/

One of the reasons why wealthier suburbs get better services is because the suburbs have a lot of herd immunity from crime because they have private security going on patrols. Going to fix a broken pipe or some piece of road is much easier when you don't have to worry about your workers getting mugged. This is true regardless of the party in control of the metro.

JohnMao

Executive Member
As much as they can. The root cause is that the police are deliberately under-resourced in this country because the ANC and friends cannot thrive if there is a police force that will prevent their crimes.

Hence why they want the police to be under the control of premiers.
https://www.sabcnews.com/sabcnews/da-says-it-is-finalising-private-members-bill/

One of the reasons why wealthier suburbs get better services is because the suburbs have a lot of herd immunity from crime because they have private security going on patrols. Going to fix a broken pipe or some piece of road is much easier when you don't have to worry about your workers getting mugged. This is true regardless of the party in control of the metro.
Lol...dude, I live in a middle class suburb here in Port Elizabeth and it's not roses. Both the DA/ANC/DA runs of managing this municipality since 2016 have fallen short. Our roads are busy falling apart (one road, between avenues, has nearly 15 current or potential potholes developing) with potholes either in existence or busy developing; roads are not painted making them dangerous; street lights are left unattended for weeks.
It's ridiculous. If they're not doing that for us, they're not really doing much for the poor.

konfab

Honorary Master
Lol...dude, I live in a middle class suburb here in Port Elizabeth and it's not roses. Both the DA/ANC/DA runs of managing this municipality since 2016 have fallen short. Our roads are busy falling apart (one road, between avenues, has nearly 15 current or potential potholes developing) with potholes either in existence or busy developing; roads are not painted making them dangerous; street lights are left unattended for weeks.
It's ridiculous. If they're not doing that for us, they're not really doing much for the poor.
Has crime gotten worse in your suburb?

itareanlnotani

Expert Member
My unpopular opinion -

One issue with the DA is that they are spending too much taxpayer money on the poorer area's, and neglecting the paying tax base area's. Yes, there is a balance, but no, they aren't meeting it.

This is even more annoying when new infrastructure is then subsequently burnt down and destroyed.

Infrastructure costs money. Maintenance costs money. Throwing new infrastructure at people that don't care for it, and destroy it is both demoralizing, and a waste.

I remember when our roads didn't have potholes, and the road verges were kept clean.
Deep South roads are appalling now. Sure, not EC appalling, but definitely worse that that example in the article.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
My unpopular opinion -

One issue with the DA is that they are spending too much taxpayer money on the poorer area's, and neglecting the paying tax base area's. Yes, there is a balance, but no, they aren't meeting it.

This is even more annoying when new infrastructure is then subsequently burnt down and destroyed.

Infrastructure costs money. Maintenance costs money. Throwing new infrastructure at people that don't care for it, and destroy it is both demoralizing, and a waste.

I remember when our roads didn't have potholes, and the road verges were kept clean.
Deep South roads are appalling now. Sure, not EC appalling, but definitely worse that that example in the article.
Hence my argument that people should get the service delivery that they pay for.

Currently those that are paying are not getting value for money.

Those that are not paying are actually getting infinitely more service delivery than what they pay for.

Right on top in SA you have the ANC that has made business the enemy and trying to run by central command. They are a spectacular failure. Keep on voting ANC, you will all end up living in hell.

Last edited:

itareanlnotani

Expert Member
Hence my argument that people should get the service delivery that they pay for.

Currently those that are paying are not getting value for money.

Those that are not paying are actually getting infinitely more service delivery than what they pay for.

Right on top in SA you have the ANC that has made business the enemy and trying to run by central command. They are a spectacular favour. Keep on voting ANC, you will all end up living in hell.
Issue with that is then that it turns into - the white area's are better (because rates are higher).

DA has gone the other way - pretty much all the rates go to improving poorer area's, and the poor keep pouring in. There needs to be a balance.

I'd be happier if area's were kept maintained properly, and anything over went to social upliftment.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
My unpopular opinion -

Is it a fact though that the roads in your surburb are not maintained because more money is being spent in poor areas? I mean there is no indication or sign of this expenditure in poor areas, the bulk of the money could be ending up somewhere in the middle.

itareanlnotani

Expert Member
Is it a fact though that the roads in your surburb are not maintained because more money is being spent in poor areas? I mean there is no indication or sign of this expenditure in poor areas, the bulk of the money could be ending up somewhere in the middle.
Its actually quite easy to see. The council budgets are published online, and you can see the amount of spending for various line items.

In my particular area, its quite obvious to see that the majority of funds goes to the local township.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Its actually quite easy to see. The council budgets are published online, and you can see the amount of spending for various line items.

In my particular area, its quite obvious to see that the majority of funds goes to the local township.
Probably ends up in the pocket of a tenderpreneur, unless your local township is in a much better state that the other townships?

itareanlnotani

Expert Member
Probably ends up in the pocket of a tenderpreneur, unless your local township is in a much better state that the other townships?
Doesn't appear to be, however some of the alleged improvements have been long in coming.
Covid is the excuse, however they were delayed prior to covid.

DA obviously, as its CPT.

Big Rat

But if the improvement and fixes cost R5 000 000, we know by know it will be inflated by corruption to R15 000 000. And we know the tax base only brings in R4 000 000. So what do you do?
The bit of money that comes in cannot pay for everything. SO you prioritise.
And those priorities should be.... in no order
--Where will my people doing the job be safe.
--where will what i fix stay fixed and not stolen, sabotaged or just broken again.

Those two priorities limits what can be done quite significantly.

It is a matter of too little money, and safety for the people doing the job. It will always be that.
Remember, the DA also want those votes, so they have no reason why not to help, anyone angry at the DA is a vote for the ANC simple maths, for them.

Side note, what is with all these abc123 forumites climbing out the woodwork and behaving like douchebags?
Not all, but quite a lot of these short names with digits on just appear and behave like cnuts. arrogant insulting, spews bunch of crap.

DreamKing

Honorary Master
My unpopular opinion -

the first thing DA did after won the JHB was to increase rates and taxes more than double. they forgot what they said about how to run a city without increase a cent of tax as they promised. they said they would stop the corruption of anc then they would have enough money. ==> in fact that is a lie.

if I have to pay double and I still live with potholes, no traffic light etc (same as anc), what the hell I have to vote for DA? is that better to let anc to run at least they hadn't increased my rates and taxes for the past 10 years, right?

Howdy

Expert Member
But if the improvement and fixes cost R5 000 000, we know by know it will be inflated by corruption to R15 000 000. And we know the tax base only brings in R4 000 000. So what do you do?
The bit of money that comes in cannot pay for everything. SO you prioritise.
And those priorities should be.... in no order
--Where will my people doing the job be safe.
--where will what i fix stay fixed and not stolen, sabotaged or just broken again.

Those two priorities limits what can be done quite significantly.

It is a matter of too little money, and safety for the people doing the job. It will always be that.
Remember, the DA also want those votes, so they have no reason why not to help, anyone angry at the DA is a vote for the ANC simple maths, for them.

Side note, what is with all these abc123 forumites climbing out the woodwork and behaving like douchebags?
Not all, but quite a lot of these short names with digits on just appear and behave like cnuts. arrogant insulting, spews bunch of crap.
Exactly what this thread has devolved to, inciting anger against the DA, no matter how factual or farcical.

I suspect you're talking about mister 64 bit ego with his 8 bit processor where one bit is flipped, the other AWOL?

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
the first thing DA did after won the JHB was to increase rates and taxes more than double. they forgot what they said about how to run a city without increase a cent of tax as they promised.

And you believed them? Jokes on you dude :ROFL: