It’s now **no longer** illegal to buy fuel in a container in SA

rvZA

Expert Member

As South Africa faces looming fuel shortages, government has just announced that it’s now illegal for motorists to buy petrol and diesel in a container.

On Thursday morning, the Department of Mineral Resources and Energy announced new regulations that prohibit retail sales of petroleum products to members of the public in portable containers.

In a statement, the department said the temporary closure of the Sapref (Shell and BP South African Petroleum Refineries) refinery in Durban - the largest crude oil refinery in South Africa - will have a ripple effect across the national supply chain for petroleum products.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
JOHANNESBURG - The Department of Mineral Resources and Energy has enforced a law prohibiting South Africans from purchasing petroleum products in portable containers.

Acting Minister in the Presidency Khumbudzo Ntshavheni announced this on Wednesday when she was giving an update on the continuing violence and looting gripping parts of the country.

The department has discouraged members of the public from panic buying and hoarding fuel, saying it would exacerbate current challenges.

Source

ajan

Another gotcha moment to Ayn Rand. Stop hoarding fuel you selfish people.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Dumb fcks, now how exactly will I get petrol for my lawnmower, get on the fckng thing and drive it to the garage?
Generators as well? How the hell would you buy fuel for them. Or what happens if someone runs out of fuel? How do they get it for their car?

Lupus

Honorary Master
Muppets there is need for generators, for people who have run out of gas

Zophos

Expert Member
Article doesn't give reference to legislation changes, or did I miss it...

Saying it does not make it so....

Also, I suspect that commercial farmers are excluded from this BS statement... :unsure:

rvZA

Expert Member

Also, I suspect that commercial farmers are excluded from this BS statement... :unsure:

The Minister announced new regulations. Should be published in the new Gazette. Feel free to look it up or go and try to buy.

lkswan747

Expert Member
What about our generators during loadshedding
I guess we are screwed! They wanted to have generator sets registered so now we can't even push it to the garage for fuel because it ain't registered. :laugh:

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur

Just give your petrol jockey an extra tip, I am sure he will gladly fill your petrol container as well whilst filling up your car ;)