It’s now **no longer** illegal to buy fuel in a container in SA

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
I'm on leave today, just got a call that the forklift just died, it's raining outside and we have no more petrol. Lots of work they were still supposed to do today, non of it will happen if I can't get fuel in a container at the garage in a few minutes.

But yes, you're right, shits happening up in kzn and instead of applying the rule to KZN, the brainless fools makes it country wide. Because fck the economy right?
Can you not just fill up a diesel vehicle and then siphon ?

Herr der Verboten

Executive Member
First garage I stopped filled up my jerry can. No problem, screw the ANC and their crap.
Someone told me over the weekend that this new rule has been abolished.
Any truth in that?
Me too, but then again we've been without power (pretoria) when I went yesterday. I had 2 jerries both filled without issues.

Plan B was to fillup car, drain car and go refill car. At least I didn't have to do that.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Someone told me over the weekend that this new rule has been abolished.
Any truth in that?
Yes the idiots have rescinded this BS and gone back to allowing petrol only in approved (SABS) containers.

The twit announcing on TV showed his gross ignorance of the existing regulations pretty dramatically.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Again, because you are clearly not very smart, a container like a flow bin is an approved fuel transportation container.
So if someone had rocked up with a few of the 2500L ones during the shortages, well that would have sucked for everyone else.

In more civilized countries those restrictions are less necessary, SA is not a civilized country by any stretch of the imagination.
And you are just an idiot.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
In a week from now the public will no longer be allowed to fill up vehicles. The last fuel will be available to police, military and government only

You know, we will have to quote you on this whenever you spew other BS so everyone knows you are a fakenewstradamus, if by Thursday we can still fill up our cars.

Tick tock mr rvZA... tick tock.

1626844200587.png

D tj

Expert Member
Can the OP perhaps update the thread heading, as back to past.

Ps Past was approved (SABS?) containers, yet was largely ignored as far as I recall....often +-20 L plastic drums used and 1 + 2 l plastic Coke bottles...which are pretty strong.

MeestaR

Expert Member
And here I thought that my dad could not get petrol/diesel in jerry cans for the tractor, ride on lawnmower, and generator...
Thay must have said that it will not be allowed to fill your container if it is not approved to hold the fuel type. So in technical terms, no more 2L coke bottles to fill your genny, get a proper SABS approved jerry can, for the right fuel. I understand that some people cannot afford the jerry can, so they have to make do with a 2L coke bottle... Depends which garage allows it...
Instead they slap the "illegal" label, now illegal to fill your SABS-approved jerry can for the genny, or whatever you need fuel for. (Setting buildings alight excluded) If people is going to hoard, they will do it in large containers, not 5 2L coke bottles, depends on the person, (I think)

Lupus

Honorary Master
And here I thought that my dad could not get petrol/diesel in jerry cans for the tractor, ride on lawnmower, and generator...
Thay must have said that it will not be allowed to fill your container if it is not approved to hold the fuel type. So in technical terms, no more 2L coke bottles to fill your genny, get a proper SABS approved jerry can, for the right fuel. I understand that some people cannot afford the jerry can, so they have to make do with a 2L coke bottle... Depends which garage allows it...
Instead they slap the "illegal" label, now illegal to fill your SABS-approved jerry can for the genny, or whatever you need fuel for. (Setting buildings alight excluded) If people is going to hoard, they will do it in large containers, not 5 2L coke bottles, depends on the person, (I think)
You've never been allowed to technically fill a 2l bottle at a petrol station, but no one bothered.

D tj

Expert Member
A little wider and Calmer thinking / consideration required than simply bitching at government's not bright response to looting and the publics not too bright response : Panic horde.

If you have a house which is insured and you have petrol or other fuels stored in larger quantities than reasonable, and or in non SABS containers and or poorly stored (in THEIR view!!!), and have a fire....kiss your insurance and as* goodbye.

If you want a better ZA be a better citizen, waiting for the others to " come right" is even more stupid than the most foolish.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Again, because you are clearly not very smart, a container like a flow bin is an approved fuel transportation container.
So if someone had rocked up with a few of the 2500L ones during the shortages, well that would have sucked for everyone else.

In more civilized countries those restrictions are less necessary, SA is not a civilized country by any stretch of the imagination.
Did you see that video of the bakkie driver doing uncivilized things in a civilised country?

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Did you see that video of the bakkie driver doing uncivilized things in a civilised country?
I did not, but every society has a lot of people that dont play nicely with others.
The difference I have noticed with South Africans is that the ratio of knobs vs considerate people is a lot more skewed in the direction of knobs.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
The existing regulations are all about safety.