It’s now **no longer** illegal to buy fuel in a container in SA

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
That was technically the law anyway??
The SABS approvedpart? I was wondering if that was the case when I was reading it.

Then again I'm not sure if any of the containers I've bought in the past from any of the big box stores are actually SABS approved.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
The SABS approvedpart? I was wondering if that was the case when I was reading it.

Then again I'm not sure if any of the containers I've bought in the past from any of the big box stores are actually SABS approved.

The one I bought from Takealot has some UK standard sticker on it, but nothing from SABS.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
The one I bought from Takealot has some UK standard sticker on it, but nothing from SABS.
I've just had a look and it turns out that at least two of mine, Addis branded ones, are.

Lupus

Honorary Master

You technically weren't allowed to fill things like coke bottles and such, but it never really was followed. I don't know about the SABS part, but generally things like Jerry cans and such were the only containers you were supposed to fill.
Also I don't see the petrol station going hey is that Jerry can SABS approved? Cause yeah I don't think I've ever seen one.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master

Rules prohibiting the sale of petrol and diesel in containers will be revised​

The Department of Mineral Resources and Energy (DMRE) will revise regulations prohibiting the retail sale of petrol and diesel to the public in portable containers, it said in a statement on Friday.

The department on Thursday had issued regulations in the interests of public safety amid ongoing unrest. It also discouraged the public from panic buying and hoarding of fuels.

But concerns were raised about the "valid" use of containers to purchase petrol and diesel for various reasons, it said. The department noted the "anxiety and confusion" that may have been created due to the prohibition, among "regular and valid" consumers, it said. In response, the DMRE will now amend the definition of "container".

"For the purposes of these regulations, a 'container' refers to an object that is not approved for the holding or transporting of petrol and diesel according to the relevant South African National Standards. An amendment that contains the revised definition will be issued and gazetted soon," the statement read.

More: https://www.news24.com/fin24/econom...diesel-in-containers-will-be-revised-20210717
EXACTLY what I stated in my post on the subject! ALL that was required was to ENFORCE the already existing regulations , problem solved.

Cosmik Debris

Executive Member
EXACTLY what I stated in my post on the subject! ALL that was required was to ENFORCE the already existing regulations , problem solved.

The South African government has plenty laws they don't bother to enforce and forget those laws exist. They then attempt to make laws to enforce laws they already have and miss the discussion that took place to make the existing laws, causing enormous confusion in the process.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master

The standard steel jerry cans are the SABS mark is stamped moulded onto the can. Not sure of all those plastic ones available. Mine all are. Clearly marked diesel/petrol/water. The three liquids I transport all the time. Colour coded as well.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Unfortunately the SA government seems to believe in a one size fits all even with lockdowns. It's an effect of centralised control. Communists never devolve control to the lowest possible level but keep a tight rein on an entire nation.

Instead, authority and control could be devolved to municipal level - If they had knowledgeable people running them. As per communist control, they have yes men, puppets and cadres running the lower levels of authority with no ability to think for themselves, only to take orders.

This was the reason the communists got such a hiding from the SADF in Angola when the communists had 50 000 troops deployed and the South Africans never more than 3000. The South Africans used the Western doctrine of devolving authority to the lowest possible level. This is anathema to central control communists and doesn't allow for independent thinking with all too scared to do anything having to contact the highest authority before acting.

While I like devolved power, many states in Europe are capitalist and unitary.

Also, on the Angolan civil war: MPLA won and SA deployed 7 000 troops at the height of its involvement. China also happened to support the SA side in 1975, so there were communists on both sides of the war.

Hahaha! You'll need to provide some refences for those assertions.

MPLA winning, I think that you can accept as fact.

SA troop numbers:
Warfare and Armed Conflicts: A Statistical Encyclopedia of Casualty and Other Figures, 1492-2015, 4th ed. by Micheal Clodfelter (pg 566)

China’s involvement:
My Enemy's Enemy: Proxy Warfare in International Politics by Geraint Hughes (pg 65-79)

Last edited:

Mekon

Expert Member
In a week from now the public will no longer be allowed to fill up vehicles. The last fuel will be available to police, military and government only
Saw a tanker delivering fuel to my local garage yesterday. Maybe step away from MSM and the hysterical gloom and doom Facebook posters a bit

R13...

Honorary Master
Saw a tanker delivering fuel to my local garage yesterday. Maybe step away from MSM and the hysterical gloom and doom Facebook posters a bit
rvZA doesn't trust the MSM. Well he does but only when they feed his hysteria. He probably manufacturers the industrial grade conspiracies and scare stories that are shared on FB and WA groups.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
In a week from now the public will no longer be allowed to fill up vehicles. The last fuel will be available to police, military and government only

You know, we will have to quote you on this whenever you spew other BS so everyone knows you are a fakenewstradamus, if by Thursday we can still fill up our cars.

Sollie

Honorary Master
That means I'll be able to acquire a horse. Will be fun in town.

Mind you, solves the problem with filling the lawn mower, also fertizling the lawn. :)

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
rvZA doesn't trust the MSM. Well he does but only when they feed his hysteria. He probably manufacturers the industrial grade conspiracies and scare stories that are shared on FB and WA groups.
You mean rvZA has been secretly taking pictures from conspiracy groups to show as ‘proof’, careful you might get sued for 2 million.

wizardofid

Executive Member
until the looters plug in all the shyte the looted
Actually a quick solution to this problem is to go to he substations that supply the looters cause a few brown outs and job done.....:) It is doubtful they have a proper db board.....would kill electronics pretty quickly......

Cr4ig

Honorary Master
I take it all these people bitching about this and their poor gennies and lawn morrows are the ones sitting comfortably in areas unaffected by the looting or behind high walls and letting everyone else protect them.

Those on the ground and chasing away people buying petrol in 5l and 2l containers in durban while hearing the gunshots and explosions over the hill and smoke everywhere for the last 4 days know this is a necessary temporary measure.

If it becomes permanent then there is reason to bitch and fight it it, but now, gtfo.

I'm on leave today, just got a call that the forklift just died, it's raining outside and we have no more petrol. Lots of work they were still supposed to do today, non of it will happen if I can't get fuel in a container at the garage in a few minutes.

But yes, you're right, shits happening up in kzn and instead of applying the rule to KZN, the brainless fools makes it country wide. Because fck the economy right?

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Again, because you are clearly not very smart, a container like a flow bin is an approved fuel transportation container.
So if someone had rocked up with a few of the 2500L ones during the shortages, well that would have sucked for everyone else.

In more civilized countries those restrictions are less necessary, SA is not a civilized country by any stretch of the imagination.