IT Graduate with no experience seeking employment advice

Hello,

I recently graduated with a BSc Honors in Information Technology and BSc in Informatics and I’m looking for employment in a relevant field. Let me add here that I am a foreign national who just got his permanent residence and SA ID.

But I'm struggling to find internships or jobs that don't require experience since I'm a recent graduate.

I'd like to ask advice about where I can find jobs for graduates.I use Indeed, compujobs, careerjunction . But I would be grateful for other directions if anyone knows any companies on the lookout for graduates.

My skills are all over the place, is there a skill area/field I should focus more on to improve/develop myself while searching, I need advice on which field/niche of IT i should be focused on as a beginner

Any help would be very appreciated thank you.

From the sound of things, we mainly look for new candidates on offerzen.
As for skills you need to expand, saying that you wrote an app/website will set you apart from most others, even if no-one actually uses it. Bonus points if you are confident enough to put it on github, although I'm not sure if bad code is better than no code it would at least show me that you are interested in learning.

Hi Slyde, what is your skill set / age / current location?
I understand a little bit about how code works, used android studio a few times.. also databases.. I haven’t learned about any tools though with regards to data analytics. / 34 / Midrand.

From the sound of things, we mainly look for new candidates on offerzen.
As for skills you need to expand, saying that you wrote an app/website will set you apart from most others, even if no-one actually uses it. Bonus points if you are confident enough to put it on github, although I'm not sure if bad code is better than no code it would at least show me that you are interested in learning.
Thank you very much I'll look into this.. and also try to expand on my skill set. I am grateful

skimread

Executive Member
I recently graduated with a BSc Honors in Information Technology and BSc in Informatics and I’m looking for employment in a relevant field. Let me add here that I am a foreign national who just got his permanent residence and SA ID.
Hi, how did you manage to get Permanent Residence? What visa did you apply for?

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Hello,

But I'm struggling to find internships or jobs that don't require experience since I'm a recent graduate.

I'd like to ask advice about where I can find jobs for graduates.I use Indeed, compujobs, careerjunction . But I would be grateful for other directions if anyone knows any companies on the lookout for graduates.

My skills are all over the place, is there a skill area/field I should focus more on to improve/develop myself while searching, I need advice on which field/niche of IT i should be focused on as a beginner

Any help would be very appreciated thank you.
What city ?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I understand a little bit about how code works, used android studio a few times.. also databases.. I haven’t learned about any tools though with regards to data analytics. / 34 / Midrand.
So what exactly did they teach you in all the many years of doing those degrees?

you can apply for the journo post on MyBB
Hi, how did you manage to get Permanent Residence? What visa did you apply for?
there was/is a directive that granted waivers ( I am not sure if its still in effect, you'll have to find out) to foreign students that studied towards degrees that fall under the category of critical skills in South African universities. The directive waives a few requirements like getting a critical skill permit/ 5 years work experience etc.. so you can just go ahead to apply for a permanent residence with your degree certificate and all the other required documents.

So what exactly did they teach you in all the many years of doing those degrees?
A little bit of everything, BSc informatics - information systems, databases, software development (VB. net and HTML 5) and in my honors year.. project management, databases (big data), service oriented architecture, Software development (Android Studio)

GoB

Expert Member
A little bit of everything, BSc informatics - information systems, databases, software development (VB. net and HTML 5) and in my honors year.. project management, databases (big data), service oriented architecture, Software development (Android Studio)
Unfortunately I can't help, but just some advice.

Try to list what you have learnt as competencies on your CV and then explain that you have limited experience but can hit the ground running... don't undersell what you can claim.

I'm not saying how I think recruitment should work... just giving one objective observation.

For a junior position, my company looks for someone with a qualification, mathematical ability, being able to set up some automated scripts using C#, VBA, Windows batch, or even Python. Even if you know a bit about each language but comfortable with SQL (which you should be), that would be ok.

I understand that as a foreigner your EE status is lower than that of a white male... so don't be despondent when you don't qualify for most openings.
With an honours degree and the current skills shortage, you should be able to find something.

Hey @slyde

I'm from OfferZen (mentioned by @Barbarian Conan earlier). We get this kind of question often on our platform, and our community has written some interesting articles about getting started/thinking about these things.

Thought I'd share them as they may help you:

Getting experience/choosing what to focus on:

- Living the Dream: What It Took to Launch into a Software Career
- Choosing Languages Wisely: How JavaScript Helped Me Keep Up
- Fighting the Imposter Syndrome: Lessons from a Self-Taught Developer
- Mapping out your dev skills

Once you have an interview:
- How to kick ass at your next interview

Hope they're useful! Good luck!

Unfortunately I can't help, but just some advice.

Try to list what you have learnt as competencies on your CV and then explain that you have limited experience but can hit the ground running... don't undersell what you can claim.

I'm not saying how I think recruitment should work... just giving one objective observation.

For a junior position, my company looks for someone with a qualification, mathematical ability, being able to set up some automated scripts using C#, VBA, Windows batch, or even Python. Even if you know a bit about each language but comfortable with SQL (which you should be), that would be ok.

I understand that as a foreigner your EE status is lower than that of a white male... so don't be despondent when you don't qualify for most openings.
With an honours degree and the current skills shortage, you should be able to find something.
Okay thank you... I will rewrite my CV.. I really needed the objective observation..

I am grateful for the advice and will develop myself along one of the lines you have mentioned. Many thanks

Hey @slyde

I'm from OfferZen (mentioned by @Barbarian Conan earlier). We get this kind of question often on our platform, and our community has written some interesting articles about getting started/thinking about these things.

Thought I'd share them as they may help you:

Getting experience/choosing what to focus on:

- Living the Dream: What It Took to Launch into a Software Career
- Choosing Languages Wisely: How JavaScript Helped Me Keep Up
- Fighting the Imposter Syndrome: Lessons from a Self-Taught Developer
- Mapping out your dev skills

Once you have an interview:
- How to kick ass at your next interview

Hope they're useful! Good luck!
Hi many thanks.. I was going to sign up on offerzen as soon as I got a chance to, will still do. thanks for sharing the articles..I need all the pointers in the right direction I can get. I am grateful.. thanks