It is theft to spend money that is accidently sent to your bank account

R13...

Honorary Master
But they don't appear to prosecute for it. Capitec made that massive error a few years ago and people accidently got credited with R500. All they did was recover the money where it was available.

Tpex

Teh Cyber Ninja
I once got a phone call waking me up from a hangover of note (staff party) from my bank, telling me that somebody had mistakenly sent 20k to my account, shame it took the poor lady a while to get that through to me. was it as simple as giving the bank permission to return the cash? I wish, no it was me starring in my own remake of the walking dead, driving to the bank to get them to raise my limit, call the guy who made the mistake to get his account details and EFT the money myself.

I once got a phone call waking me up from a hangover of note (staff party) from my bank, telling me that somebody had mistakenly sent 20k to my account, shame it took the poor lady a while to get that through to me. was it as simple as giving the bank permission to return the cash? I wish, no it was me starring in my own remake of the walking dead, driving to the bank to get them to raise my limit, call the guy who made the mistake to get his account details and EFT the money myself.
Who's your bank? That's useless

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
LOL. Just like its theft every time an unapproved debit order goes off from your account.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Is it theft if you spend money you pick up off the ground?

Executive Member
If you spend money that you know is not yours, it is theft.

**** me, is this were we are at? Questions like this?

animal531

Expert Member
It is however 100% legal to drag your feet paying it back and earning some interest.

Vice

Expert Member
I'd gladly refund any amount less than 100 Rand. Anything above 10 Million will have to wait for my sudden "business trip from over seas", which may be not less than a year :D

ponder

Honorary Master
It is however 100% legal to drag your feet paying it back and earning some interest.
You will have to pay back any interest accrued on that money as well as fat legal bill if lawyers are involved.

http://www.saflii.org/za/cases/ZASCA/2004/98.html
In the result the following order is made:

1 The appeal is upheld with costs including the costs of two counsel. Such costs are to be paid by the first and second respondents and the intervening party jointly and severally.
2 The order of the court a quo is set aside and replaced with the following order:

‘1 It is declared that the amount of R9 750 000 and any interest that accrued thereon from 20 February 2003, which is subject to the attachment order issued under case number 2003/1508 and transferred by consent to an account under the control of the first and second respondents, does not form part of the insolvent estate of Maple Freight CC (in liquidation).

2 The first and second respondents are directed to release the amount of R9 750 000 and any interest that accrued thereon from 20 February 2003, as referred to in para 1 above, to the applicant.
3 The first and second respondents and the intervening party jointly and severally are ordered to pay the applicant’s costs including the costs of two counsel.’