IT jobs in SA where your salary will increase the most

Thor

Honorary Master
My biggest question:

What are the definition of Junior, Mid-level and Senior?

Because my age and salary might be junior, but gawd dammit my day to day responsibilities and job delivery and execution sure as heck aint.

How do I know I am not being shafted?

krycor

Honorary Master
My biggest question:

Because my age and salary might be junior, but gawd dammit my day to day responsibilities and job delivery and execution sure as heck aint.

Large corporates have set ways determining what level you are based in responsibility, input into a project, time of initial engagement and supervising others.

There was a proposal to formalize and generalize these so that the industry would have standards much like engineers and doctors do but there was heavy opposition from business and employees.. The latter objected profusely due to samples showing how diploma people would be negatively impacted.

Business disliked it as it would mean the cost of it would go up

zippy

Honorary Master
My biggest question:

Because of your age you get shafted. Its sucks but that's life. The good news is that you get older. That also sucks, but its also life. Deal with it

When you get older, you get to shaft the young people and then they complain and you tell them that's life. Deal with it :)

In all seriousness, you need to prove that you can be called a mid-level or senior or whatever you want to be called. It will never happen in the timescale you want. People don't just do you what you want or what you think is the right thing because you think its the right thing. Anyway, these figures are averages from surveys. I doubt you will find anyone on those actual numbers. People are either above or below :)

cguy

Executive Member
My biggest question:

How many significantly higher paying alternatives do you have available to you? If none, then you're not being shafted. The market determines how "senior" (I actually hate that word) you are.

krycor

Honorary Master
Btw age has no bearing on salary and if you think it should then I hate to tell you but there are very few industries where this makes a difference. It's all about quality experience, roles played etc

jetlee

this world .. sigh ... where a senior pm is paid more than a senior developer ... perhaps a shift is in order .. the question is .. be bored to tears and make more ... or not ?...

kianm

Honorary Master
this world .. sigh ... where a senior pm is paid more than a senior developer ... perhaps a shift is in order .. the question is .. be bored to tears and make more ... or not ?...

Guess the job title playing a heavy role there. Manager

krycor

Honorary Master

It's simple.. Point of engagement + Customer interaction. Architects, Lead engineers, Project Managers are the top paid because their stuff up filters down and has direct bearing on outcome of project.

PM is basically the separation from people manager & project management such that u have functional managers (in charge of a a functional aspect like dev, qa) and then pm for project handling.

The days of it projects running by McGyver devs who performed these functions are lesser to non-existent (Corp)

LPCPT

A good lead dev or senior dev can easily make more than a pm. Depends on the capabilities of either.
Some pm's are just good at drawing up project plans and do some managing, but then you get the very good ones who have tech skills and are well versed in the products and tools used in the project. These are normally a pm's who come from a tech background and companies fork out a lot for them.

Thor

Honorary Master
How many significantly higher paying alternatives do you have available to you? If none, then you're not being shafted. The market determines how "senior" (I actually hate that word) you are.

4 currently :)

cguy

Executive Member
The las of moving and relocating, adjusting. People.

If none of those are offering you enough to move regardless, you're probably not being shafted by much. I wouldn't worry about it.

Thor

Honorary Master
If none of those are offering you enough to move regardless, you're probably not being shafted by much. I wouldn't worry about it.

It's more of a case I don't want to move to JHB or CPT central etc etc, but point taken non the less