PrimeSteak

Hey guys, so I'm currently doing some short courses (Udemy, Coursera, CS50) and will do so for the rest of the year. But you can't get a software/web/mobile developer job just on short courses alone in this country, so I want to start studying next year, the problem is I don't know at what institution I should study at. It should be a qualification available via distance learning (due to financial and personal reasons).

Options that I already checked:

UNISA
(was absolute shite, I applied in Nov 2020, got my matric results and sent them in, waited for 2 months just to hear I'm rejected cause they don't have any more space)
Belgium Campus (seemed pretty good but was just too ****in expensive)
NWU (also didn't seem too bad, but having to drive 4 hours to an exam centre and finding accommodation for the duration of the exams, is unpractical at best)
Boston City Campus (I'm highly considering them for their Diploma in Systems Development, but I want to go through all my options first)

Thanks in advance for the help!

Kind Regards
PrimeSteak

cguy

Executive Member
Personally, I’d give UNISA another shot over the other options.

There are overseas universities that may be worthwhile eg, University of London (london.ac.za). As long as you do your research on accreditation of course.

r4nd0m

University of London has a distance learning CS degree.

24 modules at about £420 each over 6 years. Pricey (for us) sure, but an option nonetheless.

PrimeSteak

There are overseas universities that may be worthwhile eg, University of London (london.ac.za). As long as you do your research on accreditation of course.
I did see Uni of London's degree on Coursera. But it's very expensive (the British pound isn't very forgiving). I don't want to give UNISA another shot really, cause and I'll put it in Afrikaans...Ek het nie fokken lus vir sukkel nie.

Genisys

Honorary Master

UNISA is still a decent option. Admin has always been a headache with UNISA. Applying in November is also a little late, at that point most slots would have been filled already regardless of who one is. UNISA still need to adhere to the Department of Higher Education's rules and regulation regarding student numbers. They have been in the news a few times now for breaking the rules. Wouldn't want to keep breaking those rules.

PrimeSteak

UNISA is still a decent option. Admin has always been a headache with UNISA. Applying in November is also a little late, at that point most slots would have been filled already regardless of who one is. UNISA still need to adhere to the Department of Higher Education's rules and regulation regarding student numbers. They have been in the news a few times now for breaking the rules. Wouldn't want to keep breaking those rules.
See, the problem is, if the admin is in such chaos, what would the academics look like, ya know...? It isn't exactly a good look on em...

PrimeSteak

Science & Engineering degree programmes​

Applicants to degrees in the College of Science and Engineering must meet a minimum requirement of five subjects, four of which must be at Grade 6 (70%) or higher, including any required subjects at Grade 6 (or Grade 7 (80%) where an A is required).

Well, Edinburgh is no longer an option lol

Genisys

Honorary Master

PrimeSteak

cguy

Executive Member
I'll check it out

I keep getting ads from a university in Arkansas that does offer distance learning but just for game design if I looked at it correctly.
I think I’ve seen those. I don’t know about this specific one, but in the US, there are different accreditation boards, and some of them are worthless (want a 4-year BSc in golf course management? Not kidding). I’m sure there are good courses, but one really has to do their homework to avoid borderline scams.

PrimeSteak

want a 4-year BSc in golf course management?
Sounds like an ANC qualification, lol

I’m sure there are good courses, but one really has to do their homework to avoid borderline scams.
True, I also got ads from the University of the People (which was basically a scam after doing some research).

cguy

Executive Member
I'm currently studying com. sci. with University of London, currently second year. If you have any questions about them feel free to DM me.
I’m curious about what it’s like? Which specialization did you choose?