IT salaries in South Africa vs Australia

system32

Expert Member
Normalize that for the educated group not living in the ghetto?

Reminds me of the Cpt murder rate & family murder rate.. and then you take out populations & communities you not part of and the picture changes drastically.

Wrt Aus or just about anywhere.. it’s all about opportunity! It’s like playing monopoly with different characters which have varying benefits and disadvantages. In our case if you win the birth lottery you have a high chance of living a more than ok life but can do more if lucky. That side, like most developed countries, ok and just ok. You have to be extraordinary to be more though.
Your argument does not explain the much low murder rate in countries that have much less befits and more disadvantages than ZA:

2020:
http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/murder-rate-by-country/
1581767842579.png

zippy

Executive Member
I tried this before I got a motorcycle - thought maybe it is the thought of time going down a drain in traffic that is making me miserable.
We had rains here in JHB and I was on the Gautrain bus for close to 4hours, barring that, you never really get a laptop out and start working, so you end up listening to the same podcasts as you can in your car - maybe you watch some youtube, but that takes pre-planning to download episodes and the like.

Bottom line, your commute won't be productive, don't count on it being. No matter the country.
I haven’t used public transport to commute to work for the last 10 years living in the U.K., save for 1 day a year my car goes for its annual service, even then it be a taxi instead of the train, depending on circumstance.

I don’t live in London. I don’t work in London. There is a bit of a stereotype to how people live and work overseas. Especially U.K. it seems. I know a fair number of staffers who also don’t live and work in London. These countries aren’t as “centralised” as people think.

noxibox

Honorary Master
With myself and the wife it's the opposite somehow.

We need 2 incomes in SA due to the double-tax of paying for stuff privately that should be covered by our taxes.

Ran the calculator on on NZ Immigration and even though it's just an estimate, we'd be able to manage on my income alone...
Can be done in South Africa too. Can even send the children to a moderately priced private school with only one parent working.

Even that's not such a big issue when you have reliable public transport. You can use the commute time to still be productive.
Sure I can get work done stuffed into public transport with barely enough space to breathe.

I could take a 30% pay cut in rand terms and have the same "take home" pay in the UK. This is due to all the services my UK tax would provide, that I currently do not enjoy, but still pay twice for (medical, school, security,transport etc.).

The only major challenge when living in another country is you have to get used to a tiny, old house, for a lot more money than in SA. This is probably the only real sacrifice, if the weather doesn't bother you too much.
You still have to contribute to NHS every month, transport isn't free (quite expensive in fact) and plenty of the state schools are very dodgy.

Weather is mostly better in the UK. South Africa goes way too hot in summer.

Murder Rate in OZ 0.94 per 100,000
Murder Rate is ZA 36.4 per 100,000
38.7x more

View attachment 784384
You decide which is better.

EDIT:
Rates from wikipedia
You know the murder rate in South Africa during the 70s was about the same? Why weren't white people running off to other countries to get away from all the murder? Or is it perhaps the case, just like today, that murder rate for white people is way lower than the average figure?

system32

Expert Member
<SNIP>
You know the murder rate in South Africa during the 70s was about the same? Why weren't white people running off to other countries to get away from all the murder? Or is it perhaps the case, just like today, that murder rate for white people is way lower than the average figure?
There you go bring race into a statistic.
This isn't a race issue - it's murder - none of us feel safe.
And don't get me started on ZA Economy vs OZ Economy.
In the same period ZA has gone backwards.

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
Bit hard to get anything accurate from those vague titles but I can say from experience for a software dev in Melbourne:

entry level-junior: $50k-$65k
mid: $65k-$85k
senior: $85k-$120k
senior+ (10 years +) $120k-200k
Head of Tech/Tech Director/CTO: $150k-$300k+

Also, things like team lead etc don't necessarily have any impact on salary.
Also, you need to take into account that most salaries include superannuation. That means 9.5% of that quoted salary is a mandatory deduction to your retirement. Also super will be slowly increasing up to 12% in 2027.
If you earn over a certain amount either as a single ($90k) person or combined ($180k) as a family you have to pay Medicare Levy Surcharge of 1%-2% of your overall salary.