IT Salaries: South Africa’s cities compared

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Guess this is 3-5 years experience?
If so, me thinks R163,000 for Administration in Cape Town is low.

leelo

Yeah, the previous IT Salaries thing seemed WAY too low too.
Something seems odd about these figures.

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
Interesting figures. I was back in the job market recently and will agree with those CPT salaries. Much lower than last year this time.

All I can say is I would hate to be unemployed with the current market, luckily for me I was employed and my employer gave me the time to look for other work without any rush to accept any job.

RedGate

Those average salaries are quite low in my opinion, especially for JHB.

I am a systems developer and im well above 'it management'

Messugga

Honorary Master
Sheesh, I need to start asking for a raise! Interesting that systems development is higher in Pretoria than in Johannesburg.

bazzathetwit

Why is it that the Gauteng people always seem to earn the most??? :wtf: And don't tell me they work hard for it and that is why they deserve it!!!

Think I might need to move there... Hmmm... Or maybe not. I would rather stay away from there. Better in other places, a little more calm and relaxed :)

UnUnOctium

Expert Member
Why is it that the Gauteng people always seem to earn the most??? :wtf: And don't tell me they work hard for it and that is why they deserve it!!!

Think I might need to move there... Hmmm... Or maybe not. I would rather stay away from there. Better in other places, a little more calm and relaxed :)

Actually they do, there is no "work is a sideline, live the holiday" attitude :p I'd still rather live in CT though. Can't deal with the people in GP.

jmak

I always wonder if these annual salaries refer to TCTC, or your cash package, or your take home package. Also does it include bonus or not.

Without this someone can either believe he is grossly underpaid, or excessively expensive to his employer...

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
Those average salaries are quite low in my opinion, especially for JHB.

I am a systems developer and im well above 'it management'

Well I'm seeing a big difference between whats on offer now (low) compared to those already employed (high) with the same company and same skill set/years.

hungrybeaver

Expert Member
wth are 'Other IT Professionals' doing in KZN that they aren't in other Provinces?

GP: 330,800
WP: 152,000
KZN: 439,000

:wtf:

I always find it strange that Administrators are not paid as high as Project Managers or IT Managers. We make sure that businesses are running smoothly ffs!

Messugga

Honorary Master
I always find it strange that Administrators are not paid as high as Project Managers or IT Managers. We make sure that businesses are running smoothly ffs!

In my experience, they just make phonecalls and keep track of stock when applicable. Hardly a very taxing skillset. They also have next to zero responsibility and thus little to be held accountable for. The same cannot be said about management. This validates the general difference in salary.
That being said, I think most PMs aren't useful and get used incorrectly, but the ones that know what's going on are absolutely awesome.

Twizmaster

+1! I concur. I may be junior but being overworked isn't worth any pay in this fast life city (joburg):sick: