IT Salaries: South Africa’s cities compared

Twizmaster

wth are 'Other IT Professionals' doing in KZN that they aren't in other Provinces?

GP: 330,800
WP: 152,000
KZN: 439,000

:wtf:

I always find it strange that Administrators are not paid as high as Project Managers or IT Managers. We make sure that businesses are running smoothly ffs!

+1

hungrybeaver

Expert Member
In my experience, they just make phonecalls and keep track of stock when applicable. Hardly a very taxing skillset. They also have next to zero responsibility and thus little to be held accountable for.

Zero responsibility? Little to be held accountable for? You're joking. A sysadmin is not a receptionist. If a production server goes down, employees cannot work, which means orders are not being processed, which means the business is not running. That means you're responsible and held accountable because you were employed to ensure the systems are working.

Not sure where you worked but believe me, being a sysadmin is not all phone calls and stock take.

DarKWateR

Expert Member
I honest don't get these figures. I work in the IT support industry (remote administration etc.). I have worked for 5 different companies and I have 11+ years experience and still the highest I've earned has been R56000 per annum. Most companies only offered R36000 per annum on interviews.

Messugga

Honorary Master
Zero responsibility? Little to be held accountable for? You're joking.

This depends heavily on your definition of "Administrator". It doesn't necessarily refer to system administrators, who absolutely have responsibility. The terminology is a tad vague, to be honest.

jmak

I honest don't get these figures. I work in the IT support industry (remote administration etc.). I have worked for 5 different companies and I have 11+ years experience and still the highest I've earned has been R56000 per annum. Most companies only offered R36000 per annum on interviews.

That number is really low! I am guessing you are in the PCs fix and software configuration for personal use arena and/or no qualifications behind your name? If not I have a feeling you have to work on your interview skills... you are getting screwed.

I earned more than that 5 years ago in a position I had to have no more qualification than wanting to work and having played a lot with different OS environments and can move around comfortably in them + it was a half-day job so that I could continue with my studies.

Last edited:

hungrybeaver

Expert Member
This depends heavily on your definition of "Administrator". It doesn't necessarily refer to system administrators, who absolutely have responsibility. The terminology is a tad vague, to be honest.

Agreed, its way too vague.

DarKWateR

Expert Member
That number is really low! I am guessing you are in the PCs fix and software configuration for personal use arena and/or no qualifications behind your name? If not I have a feeling you have to work on your interview skills... you are getting screwed.

I earned more than that 5 years ago in a position I had to have no more qualification than wanting to work and having played a lot with different OS environments and can move around comfortably in them + it was a half-day job so that I could continue with my studies.

It has nothing to do with the interviews. This is what most companies offer (retail companies offer even less). I frequently see tons of folks on Gumtree and other employment sites with years of experience and some qualifications desperately seeking something that offers R4-5K month. All the PC's I work on (remotely) are for business use and then there's of-course the servers as well. Work is scarce so I take what I can get.

Fuma

Executive Member
It has nothing to do with the interviews. This is what most companies offer (retail companies offer even less). I frequently see tons of folks on Gumtree and other employment sites with years of experience and some qualifications desperately seeking something that offers R4-5K month. All the PC's I work on (remotely) are for business use and then there's of-course the servers as well. Work is scarce so I take what I can get.
This is sad. How do you live on R4k a month? There is something terribly wrong about your situation. Even interns earn more than that.

leelo

Maybe what it boils down to is people asking for lower salaries to get "in the door" with companies.
Kinda makes sense to an employer to get the most bang for their buck. Along with this goes the South African attitude of taking the knock to get the job...I guess it all adds up.
Seems there are more people willing to take lower salaries than people wanting to get what they are worth? Maybe I've got it all wrong?

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
This is sad. How do you live on R4k a month? There is something terribly wrong about your situation. Even interns earn more than that.

Not if you work at mweb as a software tester(i earned R2 500 a month last year from that bull ***** company and i will forever spread this)

souljo

Not if you work at mweb as a software tester(i earned R2 500 a month last year from that bull ***** company and i will forever spread this)

It continuously surprises me how people get taken advantage of for these salaries. These companies suck!

saffakanera

Expert Member

You sound like an honest enough chap, it angers me greatly that any company would take advantage of an IT employee this way, it is an utter disgrace, please name and shame your past employers so nobody else will fall for their employment scams. I cannot believe these numbers, they are so low to the point where it does not even make sense?

the_don46

For those who think us in Cape Town don't work hard, think again.. I won't move for money because I love Cape Town. The company I work for has branches countrywide & we Capetonians continually receive flack for being from Slaapstad yet we have proven time and again that we put in the hours which has been proven within our company's performance analysis. Even after that we are paid less & lovingly referred to as lazy.. Maybe next time a "switched on" Gautenger calls for advice I should ignore the call.. :)

krycor

Honorary Master
yip agree with the last few msgs. You must remember one thing about it though.. IT skills are are not as scarce down here and sadly when it comes down to salary negotiation people here are very often in the 'do i take or sit at home for a few months/years' position. <-- partly because at the end of the day we have a lot of call center, start ups and other businesses here. Education vs population size vs skills is not as bad as they make it out and then there is just sheer competition or rather lack there of. Unlike in Gauteng where there are basically two cities sharing the major economic hub in terms of businesses and business presence many of the major companies here either come for cheap labour or situated here for because the head of company likes the way of life(if u have money, cpt is the place to be in general.. want money.. you need to move to jhb).

I find the above situation funny and just so wrong as you can easily make entry level 6-10k in a call center(after tax). <-- this is why i hate IT in general.. i can do dev with my closed better than senior people but why do it when u get paid peanuts for your efforts. It's for this reason i don't consider IT a career. I think the reason for IT taking a hit here is due to the number of diploma + certification people being very much in abundance here. One of the previous companies i worked for hired diploma people to do the work even tho the gap between the degreed people and them was huge. Situation stinks because at the end of the day 1. it drags my salary down, 2. I need to work my butt off covering and milking people along.. for the often the same salary. This is also why when i find a person with a degree taking it easy and being unproductive in general it irkes this crap out of me.

BTW why do companies in jhb turn their nose up when u tell them u will move to jhb for the position. I swear as soon as they hear im in cpt it's down hill :(

Last edited:

Knyro

PhD in Everything
Why is it that the Gauteng people always seem to earn the most??? :wtf: And don't tell me they work hard for it and that is why they deserve it!!!

Think I might need to move there... Hmmm... Or maybe not. I would rather stay away from there. Better in other places, a little more calm and relaxed :)

+1! I concur. I may be junior but being overworked isn't worth any pay in this fast life city (joburg):sick:

+1

Not to mention the fact that Gauteng is a crime infested shytehole. I'd rather take a job somewhere else that pays 30k less than live there. Medium sized towns FTW.

ThinkCentre

Expert Member
The bigger salaries in Gauteng, is for the extra burglar bars and dogs and massive gates and electric fencing! Don't forget the alarm system connected to armed response!

goselito

Personally, I have been been clean for two years now. Recovering workaholic...lol

Tick

Why is it that the Gauteng people always seem to earn the most??? :wtf: And don't tell me they work hard for it and that is why they deserve it!!!

I've worked in both Joburg and Cape Town and trust me, Gauteng IT workers work MUCH harder, are much "sharper" and on the ball, and work harder at keeping their skills at a higher level. The difference is so big that I'm surprised the salary differences are so small.