IT salary comparison - South Africa vs the USA

Hamster

Resident Rodent
This is why we don't take your articles seriously:

Senior Solutions ArchitectR804,509$133,226 (R1,956,223)

I dunno what kind of solutions architect (let alone a "senior" one) is willing to work for R67,000 pm and no bonus because let's be honest: R800k is the CTC of an intermediate moving towards senior developer's salary.

So if you guys are out there feeling underpaid, drop me a PM because we have referral bonuses :p

Unless you guys are ****ing lying to the good people at MyBroadband about your titles :mad:

damian24

rehash of SA vs UK article with claimed USA number added.

The SA ones are almost certainly a lowball for someone trying to break into market...

The USA ones are insanely low, I know a number of senior devs getting at least USD150k... one of my family in the US tech industry, suggested targeting around USD200k for IT/IS management roles.

As an example, on job monster, random DBA role advertised at S92k to S120kpa in Minneapolis, the article puts at around S73k pa.... that's a pretty big shift, see what I mean?

D

Nerhzelok

Expert Member

I dunno what kind of solutions architect (let alone a "senior" one) is willing to work for R67,000 pm and no bonus because let's be honest: R800k is the CTC of an intermediate moving towards senior developer's salary.

So if you guys are out there feeling underpaid, drop me a PM because we have referral bonuses :p

Unless you guys are ****ing lying to the good people at MyBroadband about your titles :mad:
Can attest to that... In a small but stable company with big hopes and dreams (not being sarcastic), and that's my salary as a software engineer.

If you're a solutions architect with that salary... questionable, unless shares are involved. My guess would be upwards 90-110kp/m these days. Might be modest.

Lupus

Honorary Master
That doesn't seem right for a senior solutions archictect.

jetlee

these numbers dont align with the myBB article a few weeks ago showing architects at well over 1 mil pa

whatwhat

Executive Member
Can attest to that... In a small but stable company with big hopes and dreams (not being sarcastic), and that's my salary as a software engineer.

If you're a solutions architect with that salary... questionable, unless shares are involved. My guess would be upwards 90-110kp/m these days. Might be modest.
Enterprise Architects are normally in the 130-160K bracket

cguy

Executive Member
We used figures from Indeed, PayScale, and Glassdoor to compare average pay in both countries.
The US numbers are completely off. Firstly, they’re not using the actual job titles that are used in the US (senior/staff/principal/distinguished/etc.). The positions that they are looking at are most likely very junior.

Secondly, today a significant (often the vast majority) of total compensation in the US comes from equity and bonuses, not salary. Then there are a whole host of benefits that aren’t on the list (stock purchase plans, vision, medical, dental and legal plans, retirement plans with matching, etc.).

The gross salary comparison between the two countries definitely falls in favour of the United States, but there are also taxes to consider.
“But”? The net taxes are almost solidly in favor for the US, the only exception being extremely high earners in certain states.

cguy

Executive Member
The USA ones are insanely low, I know a number of senior devs getting at least USD150k... one of my family in the US tech industry, suggested targeting around USD200k for IT/IS management.
Sounds about right, and in the tech hubs, one can pretty much double those numbers.

noxibox

Honorary Master

I dunno what kind of solutions architect (let alone a "senior" one) is willing to work for R67,000 pm and no bonus
I'm surprised the job title still exists.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I'm surprised the job title still exists.
Let's not completely confuse staff writer. Sometimes all your company needs is the expertise of a junior solutions architect. Senior can be overkill.