It's much too easy to get a fake driver's licence

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator

TysonRoux

Expert Member
Just like the passports that Home Affairs issued illegally, they're not FAKE licenses, they're illegally issued, a much bigger problem than FAKE ones.

EXPOSED: How corrupt officials issued SA passports to terror group

'All of the recovered passports are legitimate. They contain the images of several South Africans on international terror watch lists'

Terrorists favour 'easy' fake SA passports
Terrorists are big fans of South African passports, according to security experts, because of the ease with which one can be faked or illegally obtained.

The issue of South African passports being used by terrorists arose after it emerged that Fazul Abdullah Mohammed, the man responsible for the United States Embassy bombings in Nairobi, Kenya, in 1998 and who was killed at a checkpoint in Mogadishu, Somalia’s capital, last week, was carrying a South African passport.

Mohammed was the head of East African militant group al-Shabaab and also had strong links to al-Qaeda in the region. According to a terrorism expert at the Institute for Security Studies, Anneli Botha, “it comes down to corruption at [the department of] home affairs”.

“You can easily get your hands on a legal document through illegal means. I would start looking at the ease with which one can get a driver’s licence or birth certificate as well.
If we had more of a focus on terrorism, home affairs officials would place more emphasis on ensuring that the person applying is the same person on the passport. But it’s not a matter of urgency to them.”

‘White Widow’ paid for SA passport
The world’s most wanted woman – British citizen and terror suspect Samantha Lewthwaite – paid R20 000 for fake South African documents in a process that was organised and executed in Durban, The Sunday Independent can reveal.

Durbanite Ehmed Chisty, serving time for passport fraud, has confessed that he sold, with the help of corrupt officials in the Department of Home Affairs, the illegal documents to Lewthwaite who, on Friday, was placed by Interpol on its most wanted list. She is being sought for her alleged involvement in the shooting at Westgate Mall in Nairobi, Kenya, which left more than 67 people dead.

The Sunday Independent traced Chisty to the Westville Prison yesterday. He confirmed that:

He met Lewthwaite in 2005 and bought the fake passport for her. He pocketed R5 000 and R15 000 went to the corrupt Home Affairs officials, two of whom he identified by name.

Lewthwaite wanted and secured fake travel documents for herself and her two children.

In an exclusive interview in prison, Chisty, a 60-year-old convicted fraudster serving a 37-year jail term at Westville for passport fraud, yesterday lifted the lid on the inner workings of a multi-million rand South African-based racket that helped thousands of Islamist militants get their travel documents.

Among those assisted were Lewthwaite and her two children. Chisty, a former Montclair resident, said he had worked in cahoots with another wealthy Durban businessman to process more than 3 000 fraudulent IDs and passports for mostly Al-Qaeda-linked networks such as Al-Shabaab and Soldiers of Islam.

Last edited:

Sollie

Expert Member
Just like the passports that Home Affairs issued illegally, they're not FAKE licenses, they're illegally issued, a much bigger problem than FAKE ones.

EXPOSED: How corrupt officials issued SA passports to terror group

'All of the recovered passports are legitimate. They contain the images of several South Africans on international terror watch lists'

Terrorists favour 'easy' fake SA passports
Terrorists are big fans of South African passports, according to security experts, because of the ease with which one can be faked or illegally obtained.

The issue of South African passports being used by terrorists arose after it emerged that Fazul Abdullah Mohammed, the man responsible for the United States Embassy bombings in Nairobi, Kenya, in 1998 and who was killed at a checkpoint in Mogadishu, Somalia’s capital, last week, was carrying a South African passport.

Mohammed was the head of East African militant group al-Shabaab and also had strong links to al-Qaeda in the region. According to a terrorism expert at the Institute for Security Studies, Anneli Botha, “it comes down to corruption at [the department of] home affairs”.

“You can easily get your hands on a legal document through illegal means. I would start looking at the ease with which one can get a driver’s licence or birth certificate as well.
If we had more of a focus on terrorism, home affairs officials would place more emphasis on ensuring that the person applying is the same person on the passport. But it’s not a matter of urgency to them.”

‘White Widow’ paid for SA passport
The world’s most wanted woman – British citizen and terror suspect Samantha Lewthwaite – paid R20 000 for fake South African documents in a process that was organised and executed in Durban, The Sunday Independent can reveal.

Durbanite Ehmed Chisty, serving time for passport fraud, has confessed that he sold, with the help of corrupt officials in the Department of Home Affairs, the illegal documents to Lewthwaite who, on Friday, was placed by Interpol on its most wanted list. She is being sought for her alleged involvement in the shooting at Westgate Mall in Nairobi, Kenya, which left more than 67 people dead.

The Sunday Independent traced Chisty to the Westville Prison yesterday. He confirmed that:

He met Lewthwaite in 2005 and bought the fake passport for her. He pocketed R5 000 and R15 000 went to the corrupt Home Affairs officials, two of whom he identified by name.

Lewthwaite wanted and secured fake travel documents for herself and her two children.

In an exclusive interview in prison, Chisty, a 60-year-old convicted fraudster serving a 37-year jail term at Westville for passport fraud, yesterday lifted the lid on the inner workings of a multi-million rand South African-based racket that helped thousands of Islamist militants get their travel documents.

Among those assisted were Lewthwaite and her two children. Chisty, a former Montclair resident, said he had worked in cahoots with another wealthy Durban businessman to process more than 3 000 fraudulent IDs and passports for mostly Al-Qaeda-linked networks such as Al-Shabaab and Soldiers of Islam.
Unfortunately this type of behaviour and abuse spans all levels of government departments. The more regulated we become, the more opportunities there are for the corrupt to feed. Accountability lacks. If an arrest is made, two more step in to fill the vacuum left.

Of course this causes all types of problems many of us aren't even aware of. This not only affects us but also our trade partners abroad. Yet getting the "powers that be" to take this seriously, is like flogging a dead horse. Only when it ends up in the media do we see a knee jerk reaction, but once it's forgotten, back to business as usual.

Mila

Honorary Master
I wonder if they can link it to accidents and incidents.
How many of these are for heavy vehicles
How many for passenger vehicles

I guess it would be difficult but it would be interesting. We all know the famous hatfield VW video. I can say with certainty that person bought her license.

How to fix it.
Contract it out, biggest issue is the amout of people that can do a test in a day and the amount of testers?

Get a certification company Like SGS handle the standards and audits to stop more corruption and get more people through the system.

But hey Lets not point out the obvious

Mila

Honorary Master
Would be interesting to have a poll. I got mine the right way. But i know a few people who couldn’t be bothered to and people’s kids. Pay for it to be over with.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Considering I ended up paying close to 5k for my wife to legitimately get it. Thanks to driving schools and the fees sometimes just buying it out right works out cheaper.
Also who told people getting a truck license is easier must be making a killing. As it costs more to learn in a truck and you still have to Alley Dock a massive truck all you skip is the parallel parking?

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Issuing real documents to the wrong people is a much bigger problem than the manufacturing of fake documents. With all the security features the current SA passport has, I would say that it's close to impossible to produce a fake one. However you can have the most secure, unforgable document in the world, but it doesn't help if the people who actually approve the issuing of these documents are so corrupt that they're issuing these secure documents to people who shouldn't have them. This is the reason no first world country will allow visa-free travel to their countries for South African citizens. They simply can't trust that the person presenting the passport is actually the person named in the passport.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
I wonder if they can link it to accidents and incidents.
How many of these are for heavy vehicles
How many for passenger vehicles

I guess it would be difficult but it would be interesting. We all know the famous hatfield VW video. I can say with certainty that person bought her license.

How to fix it.
Contract it out, biggest issue is the amout of people that can do a test in a day and the amount of testers?

Get a certification company Like SGS handle the standards and audits to stop more corruption and get more people through the system.

But hey Lets not point out the obvious
While points you make are valid, it's not always the incompetent driver that obtained their license fraudulently that ends up in a similar situation as the video depicts (I lol'ed).

A guy at my closest BMW dealer once told me about an incident where someone totalled a new BMW on dealership grounds. He drove the car off the dealership floor, straight into the wall and fountain in front of the doors.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
The very reason Fiks is living it up is because of bribery and corruption. This is not getting fixed.

Shaun108

Executive Member
I can attest to this. I was asked for a bribe and refused to pay while doing my license test (2001ish). I mentioned to the official that if i failed for no valid reason, I am going to ask my boss to call your boss. Luckily he didn't call my bluff and I didn't fail :D

Odracir

Expert Member
I can attest to this. I was asked for a bribe and refused to pay while doing my license test (2001ish). I mentioned to the official that if i failed for no valid reason, I am going to ask my boss to call your boss. Luckily he didn't call my bluff and I didn't fail :D
So you bluffed your way to a license :rolleyes:

Happy Days

While points you make are valid, it's not always the incompetent driver that obtained their license fraudulently that ends up in a similar situation as the video depicts (I lol'ed).

A guy at my closest BMW dealer once told me about an incident where someone totalled a new BMW on dealership grounds. He drove the car off the dealership floor, straight into the wall and fountain in front of the doors.
Maybe the wall and fountain should not have been in front of the doors??? Bad design??

Happy Days

This is very old news. I remember advising my friends back in the 90's that it was cheaper getting their licenses legally than to get a Shoprite special. Especially when the story about the corrupt traffic officials from Hillstar ended up in the news.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Maybe the wall and fountain should not have been in front of the doors??? Bad design??
There's enough space to drive a Toyota Dyna out of the building in one forward motion. Additionally, your concern doesn't address the speed with which he drove out of the building.

Last edited: