Its That Time of the Year

ZAP_Tech

Hey guys its closing up on that time of the year where telkom becomes generous and lowers our DSL rates.

So I want to know if anyone has got any good news on us getting lowered DSL rates this year or are we going to stick with our current pricing due to a late change in the pricing last year.

Any information on this would highly be appreciated...

ZAP_Tech

Thanks alot, last year they where a bit late with there price changes. But we will see what happens in june with reguards to our ADSL service

SlyFly

Expert Member
Heard the following as far as ADSL goes:

* Prices will drop between 10% - 18%
* 1 meg (4meg) will be increased to max. 8 meg
* 512 will be increased to 1 meg
* 384 will be increased to 512
* 8 meg max will have upload speed of 1 meg
* 1 meg max will have ulpload speed of 512
* 512 max will have upload speed of 384

Then as far as TelkomSA Do Packages goes (ISP):

* Do Broadband 1 = 512 line speed, 10 gig international, 30 gig local (Not blended), unshaped from 18h00 to 8h00
* Do Broadband 2 = 1 meg line max, 15 gig international, 45 gig local (Not blended, unshaped from 18h00 to 8h00
* Do Broadband 3 = 8 meg line max, 20 gig international , 60 gig local (Not blended), unshaped from 18h00 to 8h00

(Do Packages are home dsl users, business dsl will be unshaped between 8h00 and 18h00)

Will be implemented on 1st September, got this from a reliable source via email.

VQuest

Expert Member
Ok, it's not 1st April, so if this is true, it's damn great news.

Seems a little hard to believe, but I'm still going to hope.

Price drop, speed increase and cap increase. Please make this dream a reality.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
I would be such a happy bunny if that email is true slyfly.........

ZAP_Tech

Its four months away, and the 8mb lines haven't been tested on a public scale. So in the next coming months well have to if this email you got pans out into a reality.

ZAP_Tech

If this true, well we are going to have very happy Telkom DSL users for a change. due to the fact that there is a price decrease speeds increase and caps raised. This actually sound like a recipe for success for telkom and would put them ahead of thier competion in this market... Hey they may even get more customers who are willing to wait for the lines with their long installation times.

ZAP_Tech

This is by far the best news i could have recieved all year... Heres keeping my fingers crossed.

pkid

Expert Member
Will they drop the per gig price for the other ISPs or is this another TelkomInternet shaft the competition cause we buy bandwidth from ourselves moves? I really wish Neotel would start selling bandwidth to the ISPs?

BarryMG

* Do Broadband 1 = 512 line speed, 10 gig international, 30 gig local (Not blended), unshaped from 18h00 to 8h00
* Do Broadband 2 = 1 meg line max, 15 gig international, 45 gig local (Not blended, unshaped from 18h00 to 8h00
* Do Broadband 3 = 8 meg line max, 20 gig international , 60 gig local (Not blended), unshaped from 18h00 to 8h00

(Do Packages are home dsl users, business dsl will be unshaped between 8h00 and 18h00)

This refers to "Do Broadband" packages. Will "All Access" users get the same international and local gig increases? I currently have a 384 2G All Access account.
I like the "not blended" statement :D

SlyFly

Expert Member
Im not sure about All Access, but I think it will be brought into the same line as the do broadband packages.. Your current speed will most probably be the constant for change... So with that packages you'll probably get a Do Broadband 1 type package...

As far as per gig pricing goes, the email didnt say anything about it, but normally if Telkom decreases their prices they do decrease their resail values as well. Ofcourse they'll change it so that their packages are the "better" option.

TheLoot

Heard the following as far as ADSL goes:

* Prices will drop between 10% - 18%
* 1 meg (4meg) will be increased to max. 8 meg
* 512 will be increased to 1 meg
* 384 will be increased to 512
* 8 meg max will have upload speed of 1 meg
* 1 meg max will have ulpload speed of 512
* 512 max will have upload speed of 384

Will be implemented on 1st September, got this from a reliable source via email.

What a jump !! Some poor sod (like me, for example ;)) on 384 with 1 GB international and 10GB local gets pushed up to 512 with 10GB international and 30GB local. Wow, it's a LOT more than what I was even hoping for :)

I guess Neotel is serving its purpose then - if not to provide us with lower prices, at least to encourage Telkom to drop it's prices to keep it's grubby paws on it's customers :p

EDIT: At the moment I could easily get through the month with some of the initial 1 GB left over :eek: The after hours unshaped is cool, this will improve international video conferencing with family right ?!

Last edited:

Just_Ice

Executive Member
:D Sounds good. Although I seriously doubt that telkom would be so generous! But anyway what does that mean for me? I am currently on DoBroadband 2 Closer 3. Thats a 384mbps line with 2 gig cap. Now in the first post it says 384 users will get moved up to 512mbps and in the second part it says I will get moved up to a 1 meg line. Which will I get? If this is true its the best news all year for me!

Another thing is dont you think it is odd that we will have 512, 1024 and 8192 lines? Surely they would rather do something like a 1024, 2048, 4096 and 8192 line or something?

Last edited:

fragtion

Expert Member
Hate to be the cynnic one around here, but that E-mail just seems waay too good to be true.

kaspaas

Expert Member
Telkom's view on competitive offers to competitors tend to differ from what customers believe competitive should mean. Don't expect any good news from Telkom - they can't be worried about 100 000 people moving to Neotel.

VC/MTN and even iBurst would react faster to market trends and movements than Telkom.

Last edited:

SlyFly

Expert Member
:D Sounds good. Although I seriously doubt that telkom would be so generous! But anyway what does that mean for me? I am currently on DoBroadband 2 Closer 3. Thats a 384mbps line with 2 gig cap. Now in the first post it says 384 users will get moved up to 512mbps and in the second part it says I will get moved up to a 1 meg line. Which will I get? If this is true its the best news all year for me!

Another thing is dont you think it is odd that we will have 512, 1024 and 8192 lines? Surely they would rather do something like a 1024, 2048, 4096 and 8192 line or something?

I would guess the Do Broadband "overwrites" the 384 to 512 rule because your actually putting all your eggs in one basket (AKA Telkom) So if you have Do Broadband 2 it will be upgraded to a 1 meg line.

Also you should kow that Telkom wouldn't improve their speeds in megs varients, its to much at a time ;) Maybe they'll do that in a year?

Those prices aren't to great really if you considor everything, its just better than we're used to... 4 years ago we had a 30 gig cap, and now we're finally back at a 30 gig cap? Why is that impossible to believe...