It's Time for an Independent ISP Rating Service/Info?

ctudor

After a few weeks of complete frustration trying to select an ISP that:

1) is reasonably priced
2) offers a good network (low latency, high speed, high availability)

I have come to the conclusion that SA needs an independent review/certification of these ISP products somehow. The quality of service from the ISPs ranges from non-existent to pretty good (for broadband hell) South Africa. How about an independent rating service, or maybe a bunch of us get together and report speed tests, ping tests, VoIP tests, technical info etc. etc. on each of our accounts so that we don't all have to trial-and-error all these options - and spend a fortune in the process?

How about mybroadband.co.za organizes this and posts some real data and technical information?

Maybe it would also help to sort out the men from the boys in the industry and improve services and offerings...

guest2013-1

After a few weeks of complete frustration trying to select an ISP that:

1) is reasonably priced
2) offers a good network (low latency, high speed, high availability)

I have come to the conclusion that SA needs an independent review/certification of these ISP products somehow. The quality of service from the ISPs ranges from non-existent to pretty good (for broadband hell) South Africa. How about an independent rating service, or maybe a bunch of us get together and report speed tests, ping tests, VoIP tests, technical info etc. etc. on each of our accounts so that we don't all have to trial-and-error all these options - and spend a fortune in the process?

How about mybroadband.co.za organizes this and posts some real data and technical information?

Maybe it would also help to sort out the men from the boys in the industry and improve services and offerings...

I think that (at first) MyBroadband was put on here to do just that (and give people an open public forum to discuss the short comings of Telkom and the industry)

However it seemed to have evolved in a marketing machine instead?

Astound

Something about the rent needing to be paid? :erm:

Nothing in life is free! :rolleyes:

Gatecrasher

Executive Member
The problem is that as soon as an enterprise like that needs funding true independence goes out the window.

ctudor

hmmmm... how about just finding a few people with each type of account and getting them to periodically update basic statistics? like up/down speeds, pings to various locations, jitter, etc. and then tabulating that somewhere? Or, even better, developing a little client that collects the information from volunteers and then submits them for collation to a results site somewhere?

Hectic

Executive Member
hmmmm... how about just finding a few people with each type of account and getting them to periodically update basic statistics? like up/down speeds, pings to various locations, jitter, etc. and then tabulating that somewhere? Or, even better, developing a little client that collects the information from volunteers and then submits them for collation to a results site somewhere?

I think it is a good idea. The idea of a client collecting data from volunteers also sounds better than members with their own biased ideas reporting on ISP's. I'm not sure that people is going to trust the idea of sharing certain info.

Maybe it can be a combination of the two methods. You know, rating various aspects to do with ISP's (billing, support, etc) on a scale of 1-10 or 1 - 5.
Via the client method speed tests, etc.

The info wil be there and it is then a case of "use it, don't use it".