Ivermectin Analyzed as Possible Covid Treatment in U.K. Trial

Dave

Honorary Master
The headline shows the bias built-in already.

No, I think the headline describes the reality of the situation accurately.

PRINCIPLE has already tested six other drugs that can be taken at home by people with COVID-19 symptoms but so far only one – the inhaled corticosteroid budesonide – has had any impact on the disease.

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
Which is what?, what are the people supposed to use/do who are really sick or dying?

Edit,
If you mean go see a doctor to prescribe you IVM, then sure. I agree. But Vast majority wont and will tell you there is nothing they can do. Go and rest and drink your vitamins.

Now out of desperation people are using IVM, and miraculously healing. But Noooo, this is a bad thing. If the doctors wont help me, I will explore my own ventures.
My point is, people have nothing to lose and everything to gain by using IVM since they (doctors/healthcare sector) cannot provide us with any other alternatives.

which is whatever the medical professional prescribes? if the doctor prescribes ivermectin then take it I am not disputing that, what i am saying is ludicrous is people just taking any variant of the stuff (including scams and fake/alternate medications) based on social media information and supply.

You cannot just say people have nothing to lose and everything to gain, taking mediication without medical need or advice is retarded, why dont we all just start taking ARV's and going for chemo sessions then.

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
I'm currently taking IVM while I recover (12mg/per day)

I don't know if this helps or cures Covid, but it's worth a try.

I take it at night before I go to sleep, and it helps me to sleep longer/deeper with it.

Maybe it doesn't help, but the fact that I sleeper better with it, that alone helps already.

one of the known side effects is sleepiness, so no doubt it is helping you with sleeping better.

SoldierMan

Executive Member
I read about aliens in the sky too. Doesn't make them real.

Please link to peer reviewed scientific article.

Drones like you really can't think for yourself. Was an Indian study done with 70 000 people, will try and find it.

cpu.

Executive Member
ja sounds like it was definitely the Ivermectin that pulled them through, right? Definitely. As opposed to being part of the 98+% of people that dont die from it.

Edit: also to have lost "at least 20 mates" to it, he has 1000+ mates statistically (likely more)
I wonder how statistically (un)likely it is that he may have befriended many 2%ers?

Dave

Honorary Master
Found it on Nature.com, which is pretty legit:

Can do a search for:
"Ivermectin; IVM (red block) inhibits and disrupts binding of the SARS-CoV-2 S protein at the ACE-2 receptors (green)."

Open the link and first thing I see
Readers are alerted that the conclusions of this paper are subject to criticisms that are being considered by the editors and the publisher. A further editorial response will follow the resolution of these issues.

Then I see

However, a controlled outpatient trial by López-Medina et al. demonstrated that, in mild COVID-19, Ivermectin showed no improvement [9]

and I see no reference to a trial or study involving 70,000 people…

:unsure:

Last edited:

Swa

Honorary Master
I really really wish I owned a tablet machine. I could make a fortune selling sugar pills as Ivermectin to the suckers.
I can't believe there are still such comments on mybb. You can argue whether or not it works. But it takes a special person that would take away someone's only chance and profit off it.

To be honest I could care less what people believe or go for. Everyone seems to go with "my view is right"
Just wish people would stop fighting the poster/man and instead fight the facts. eg I just posted what I saw, did not know if it is viable or not.

Saying X groups sucks means nothing to no one.
Saying Z and Y is incorrect see T and R over here go waaaaaay further to prove a point.

Eg The way @Johnatan56 argues makes me understand why people are so quick to believe/protect self formed theories. A simple see post X does way better than attacking a person.
That's the part that still gets to me. Also the smugness and jokes from one side. I read recently that climate alarmists are the main reason for climate deniers. It seems to extend to pro-vaxxers being the main reason for anti-vaxxers. To top it off whether or not anti-vaxxers are correct they have usually done the most research.

ja sounds like it was definitely the Ivermectin that pulled them through, right? Definitely. As opposed to being part of the 98+% of people that dont die from it.

Edit: also to have lost "at least 20 mates" to it, he has 1000+ mates statistically (likely more)
Whether or not it was you can never know. You'll always get regression to the mean. It doesn't change that there's still a statistically significant effect so it probably does help some people.

No, I think the headline describes the reality of the situation accurately.
Headline downplay's the conclusion.

Open the link and first thing I see
How is that relevant? That's how science works. Nothing is set in stone or free of criticism.

Then I see
Don't know what your point is. Just because it works in severe cases doesn't mean it should in mild ones to a significant degree vs natural regression. We also don't know the definition of 'mild' and what the cutoff is.

richjdavies

Expert Member
Spoke to a friend who's working with me earlier this morning. He just returned after being positive and isolating.
He was kak sick. Fever, sweats, body/head aches, short of breath. Day 4 he got the pharmisist to deliver the magic pill. Next day he started feeling better. ANother two days and he could start doing his routine stuff.
If it works for you - it works for you.
Yikes... maybe it was Pharmacy juju ... or the coffee he had that morning too. Lots of colds, flus, viruses in general have symptoms that last less than a week. I bet the pharmacists just gave him a sugar pill!

Reversion to the mean

PS... helpful framework which good medical research works on:

Ivermectin has some biological plausibility, but is not coherent, its temporality is weak (when should you start taking, it is prevention or cure?), findings are inconsistent and there's no gradient of dose-response set yet...

Last edited:

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Yikes... maybe it was Pharmacy juju ... or the coffee he had that morning too. Lots of colds, flus, viruses in general have symptoms that last less than a week. I bet the pharmacists just gave him a sugar pill!

Reversion to the mean
Ah, the old, "time is a great healer" argument! BS! This is in the midst of a pandemic for gods sake!

Tested positive, not some 3-day cold, runny tummy condition. Just how low do you lot want to go to try and deny the effects of IVM?, even to the point where a pharmacist is complicit in selling the guy a sugar tablet!

P A T H E T I C!

Last edited:

Noob-Noob

Executive Member
Ah, the old, "time is a great healer" argument! BS! This is in the midst of a pandemic for gods sake!

Tested positive, not some 3-day cold, runny tummy condition. Just how low do you lot want to go to try and deny the effects of IVM?, even to the point where a pharmacist is complicit be selling the guy a sugar tablet!

P A T H E T I C!
I agree 100%
Exactly the crowd I was talking about earlier.

It's no use arguing with these people. They have a different kind of abstract logic we cannot even begin to understand.

Ps. What I can tell you is, the day they have a close family member in ICU on a ventilator, with little to no chance of survival, they will also say yes let's try IVM. But unfortunately they are to thick to realise this at the current moment.

richjdavies

Expert Member
I agree 100%
Exactly the crowd I was talking about earlier.

It's no use arguing with these people. They have a different kind of abstract logic we cannot even begin to understand.

Ps. What I can tell you is, the day they have a close family member in ICU on a ventilator, with little to no chance of survival, they will also say yes let's try IVM. But unfortunately they are to thick to realise this at the current moment.
Did you say the same about Hydrochloroquine? Vitamin D supplements... Prayers?

Why do you think it works? Why do you think it doesn't make it worse?

Its not medicine if you dont know or learn...