Ivermectin: balance of evidence shows no benefit against Covid-19

blunt

Expert Member
These doses are minute. Last year when I had covid I was really ill, lost my smell and taste and took weeks to recover properly. Recently I caught the new strain, even before the test results I was on a proper dose of Ivermectin. By day 3 the symptoms were gone. It can't be disputed, and all of the doctors and pharmacists I've spoken to who are on the front line swear by it.
What dosage did you take?

rvZA

Executive Member
These doses are minute. Last year when I had covid I was really ill, lost my smell and taste and took weeks to recover properly. Recently I caught the new strain, even before the test results I was on a proper dose of Ivermectin. By day 3 the symptoms were gone. It can't be disputed, and all of the doctors and pharmacists I've spoken to who are on the front line swear by it.

My whole family, kids included, started using IVM since they day we tested positive. We used it alongside prescribed medicine, which included anti-biotics, cortisone and much more. We are all over Covid now, 2-3 weeks later. Taste and smell are not 100% back as yet, as most of us still can't smell or taste certain things. Can't say that IVM was the one that had an impact, but we used it nonetheless. We are now taking Ivermax weekly. (1-1.5ml on the upper leg for those 50kg and above and 0.5-0.6 to 1ml for the kids who weigh less). We never took it before we got infected, but will use it as a precautionary drug for now and see how it goes.

Surv0

Executive Member
Yeah anecdotal at best.... both my parents contracted covid at the same time, symptom onsets at the same time, started taking ivermectin at the same time, mom recovered, dad died 4 weeks later.

So did ivermectic help my dad or make it worse or not help at all?

rvZA

Executive Member
Yeah anecdotal at best.... both my parents contracted covid at the same time, symptom onsets at the same time, started taking ivermectin at the same time, mom recovered, dad died 4 weeks later.

IVM will not work when you start taking it too late. Sorry to hear about your father. But, there are many people who took IVM as precautionary method long before contracting the virus and died subsequently. So, it will not always work for everyone.

The Darkness

Expert Member

I'm sorry for your loss. Please accept my condolences.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
My whole family, kids included, started using IVM since they day we tested positive. We used it alongside prescribed medicine, which included anti-biotics, cortisone and much more. We are all over Covid now, 2-3 weeks later. Taste and smell are not 100% back as yet, as most of us still can't smell or taste certain things. Can't say that IVM was the one that had an impact, but we used it nonetheless. We are now taking Ivermax weekly. (1-1.5ml on the upper leg for those 50kg and above and 0.5-0.6 to 1ml for the kids who weigh less). We never took it before we got infected, but will use it as a precautionary drug for now and see how it goes.
You'll have antibodies. Why muck about with using IVM now still?

Condolences. My father would be dead without it.

Ivermectin is an effective treatment for COVID-19. The probability that an ineffective treatment generated results as positive as the 61 studies to date is estimated to be 1 in 354 billion (p = 0.0000000000028). As expected for an effective treatment, early treatment is more successful, with an estimated reduction of 74% in the effect measured using random effects meta-analysis (RR 0.26 [0.16-0.43]). 64% and 96% lower mortality is observed for early treatment and prophylaxis (RR 0.36 [0.15-0.85] and 0.04 [0.00-0.58]). Statistically significant improvements are seen for mortality, ventilation, hospitalization, cases, and viral clearance. The consistency of positive results across a wide variety of heterogeneous studies is remarkable, with 92% of the 61 studies reporting positive effects (28 statistically significant in isolation).

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master

At least your family is completely dewormed now.

rvZA

Executive Member
You'll have antibodies. Why muck about with using IVM now still?

Condolences. My father would be dead without it.

Yes, you do get anti-bodies. But, too little research on the virus is available. Seems you can still contract the virus, within 2-3 months after recovering. In most cases it will not be as severe.

But, after 6-8 months your immunity will be gone in total.

The same with all vaccines currently available. You are covered, for a 6-8 month period. It seems booster shots or annual, in some cases twice a year vaccines will be needed unless they somehow find a treatment.

Bonywasawarrioraway

Expert Member
Ok, lets just be clear about this then. I have not been taking Ivermectin have been exposed at least four times and have not contracted covid.

You have been taking it throughout and are one of the few cases of someone having covid twice.

with me so far?......................

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
Yes, you do get anti-bodies. But, too little research on the virus is available. Seems you can still contract the virus, within 2-3 months after recovering. In most cases it will not be as severe.

But, after 6-8 months your immunity will be gone in total.

The same with all vaccines currently available. You are covered, for a 6-8 month period. It seems booster shots or annual, in some cases twice a year vaccines will be needed unless they somehow find a treatment.

Once 67% of the population has antibodies it achieves herd immunity. The reason the aim is for 40 million vaccinations in SA in the next few months.

rvZA

Executive Member
Ok, lets just be clear about this then. I have not been taking Ivermectin have been exposed at least four times and have not contracted covid.

You have been taking it throughout and are one of the few cases of someone having covid twice.

with me so far?......................

With or without IVM and even the vaccine, you will continue getting covid. Neither the Vaccines nor IVM is a guarantee you will not contract it.

You may actually the be odd one out here having been exposed at least 4 times and not contracting Covid. You may well be of special interest to researchers.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
Yes, and covid-free, for now too.

My wife and I have been Covid free for the entire period due to self isolation. We recently had the jab. She got all the Covid symptoms but mildly. I got only a headache and sore throat. So we are now Covid free too.

rvZA

Executive Member
Once 67% of the population has antibodies it achieves herd immunity. The reason the aim is for 40 million vaccinations in SA in the next few months.

The problem is that the Vaccines to do not offer permanent immunity. Immunity in most ends by 6 months. New research showed some who had imminunity for up to 8 months before they got re-infected. Every single person taking the vaccine today will at some point in time need the shot(s) again or booster shots.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
With or without IVM and even the vaccine, you will continue getting covid. Neither the Vaccines nor IVM is a guarantee you will not contract it.

You may actually the be odd one out here having been exposed at least 4 times and contracting Covid. You may well be of special interest to researchers.

Correct. But once you have antibodies, by vaccine or recovering from an infection, you should only experience mild symptoms.

rvZA

Executive Member
Correct. But once you have antibodies, by vaccine or recovering from an infection, you should only experience mild symptoms.

100% correct. But only for a limited period of time, which could be 3 months for some, 6 for most and as stated by the WHO, 8 for others. Then the antibodies works out of your system. They are not permanent.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
So we are now Covid free too.
Got symptoms from the vaccine?
No that is where you make the mistake. So far all you can say is that you are less likely to get very sick IF you were to be infected by the virus.
A single jab or have you had both?

The Darkness

Expert Member
What dosage did you take?
Sorry, I was using the wrong units for calculation there (micrograms, milligrams). The dose I was having was very much in line with this study actually - about 6mg/25kg. Also took a massive dose of vitamin D3 once-off, and yes took precautionary antibiotics, probiotics, several thousand mg Vit-C, Zn, 3 x a day nasal saline wash and a bunch of other things. We went on the full attack 24/7, 4 times a day PO readings into a spreadsheet.
I do believe the IVM helped significantly, since my partner was a few days ahead and she started taking it much later than me.

The Darkness

Expert Member
100% correct. But only for a limited period of time, which could be 3 months for some, 6 for most and as stated by the WHO, 8 for others. Then the antibodies works out of your system. They are not permanent.
exactly this. also considering new strains of the virus, it's like getting it from scratch.