Ivermectin: balance of evidence shows no benefit against Covid-19

RiaX

Expert Member
What does any of that have to do with the fact ivermectin is not a placebo? A placebo by definition doesn't cause harm or have any medical effects.

You can get a placebo effect from anything. Doesnt have to be an actual placebo. To clarify, IVM doesnt do anything for covid at best its a placebo effect that may aid patients. Thats my opinion on the matter.

When we say take it in consultation we've done the evaluation of safety for you

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
Mm I’m almost curious to see how deluded the people are in the last video.

I didn't even bother watching. The most surprising thing is that there are tons of videos on Yootchoob purporting to show proof that the Earth is flat...

Going to have to clear the browsing history now before the algorithms lead me down one of Soldierman's rabbit holes to conspiracy sites.

semaphore

Honorary Master
I didn't even bother watching. The most surprising thing is that there are tons of videos on Yootchoob purporting to show proof that the Earth is flat...

Going to have to clear the browsing history now before the algorithms lead me down one of Soldierman's rabbit holes to conspiracy sites.
Yeah, to be honest this earth is overdue for a reset.

Grant

Honorary Master

Ivermectin: How false science created a Covid 'miracle' drug​

The health authorities in the US, UK and EU have found there is insufficient evidence for using the drug against Covid, but thousands of supporters, many of them anti-vaccine activists, have continued to vigorously campaign for its use.
Members of social media groups swap tips on getting hold of the drug, even advocating the versions used for animals.
The hype around ivermectin - based on the strength of belief in the research - has driven large numbers of people around the world to use it.

Campaigners for the drug point to a number of scientific studies and often claim this evidence is being ignored or covered up. But a review by a group of independent scientists has cast serious doubt on that body of research.
The BBC can reveal that more than a third of 26 major trials of the drug for use on Covid have serious errors or signs of potential fraud. None of the rest show convincing evidence of ivermectin's effectiveness.
Dr Kyle Sheldrick, one of the group investigating the studies, said they had not found "a single clinical trial" claiming to show that ivermectin prevented Covid deaths that did not contain "either obvious signs of fabrication or errors so critical they invalidate the study".
Major problems included:
  • The same patient data being used multiple times for supposedly different people
  • Evidence that selection of patients for test groups was not random
  • Numbers unlikely to occur naturally
  • Percentages calculated incorrectly
  • Local health bodies unaware of the studies
The scientists in the group - Dr Gideon Meyerowitz-Katz, Dr James Heathers, Dr Nick Brown and Dr Sheldrick - each have a track record of exposing dodgy science. They've been working together remotely on an informal and voluntary basis during the pandemic.
They formed a group looking deeper into ivermectin studies after biomedical student Jack Lawrence spotted problems with an influential study from Egypt. Among other issues, it contained patients who turned out to have died before the trial started. It has now been retracted by the journal that published it.
Large pro-ivermectin Facebook groups have turned into forums for people to find advice on where to buy it, including preparations meant for animals.
Some groups regularly contain posts about conspiracy theories of ivermectin cover-ups, as well as pushing anti-vaccine sentiment or encouraging patients to leave hospital if they aren't getting the drug.
In South Africa, the drug has become a battleground - doctors point out the lack of evidence but many patients desperately want access as the vaccine rollout has been patchy and problematic. One GP in the country described a relative, a registered nurse, who didn't book a coronavirus vaccine she was eligible for and then caught the virus.
"When she started getting worse, instead of getting proper assessment and treatment, she treated herself with ivermectin," she said.
"Instead of consulting a doctor, she continued with the ivermectin and got home oxygen. By the time I heard how low her oxygen saturation levels were (66%), I begged her daughter to take her to casualty.
"At first they were reluctant, but I convinced them to go. She passed away a few hours later."

JohnMao

Executive Member
Yeah hilarious that I would follow the God that created the universe and not corrupt big pharma :rolleyes:
Clarify: God created the universe and also corrupts Big Pharma...(I believe the first; the second, if that's what you meant, is a big load of poo).