Ivermectin: balance of evidence shows no benefit against Covid-19

surface

Honorary Master
I'd wager that it comes down to emotion. The reason people are reluctant to change their view is because of the emotions they get from that position.
It may be ego, or a fear of losing the sense of community, etc.
Indeed. Emotion could be a big part of it and other things you pointed out as well. There is a sunk cost fallacy as well. There is so much investment (in terms of time) that even if it is beneficial to get rid of certain belief, there is something that prevents us from doing that.

Also, as far as religion is concerned, one honestly believes that one is a good person and that only 'my' religion made me that good. Then, you meet other people and understand that most believe the same and then you find out that your & their expressions of beliefs (prophets/myths/miracles/books) are contradictory even if some teachings might match as those cherry picked "good" teachings would have come from human experience which is likely to be universal.

We are complex. :cool:

Venator

Expert Member
Indeed. Emotion could be a big part of it and other things you pointed out as well. There is a sunk cost fallacy as well.

These things always involve all sorts of fallacious reasoning, but yes, sunk cost is often a big one.

Also, as far as religion is concerned, one honestly believes that one is a good person and that only 'my' religion made me that good.
I always find it very interesting to discussions about morality with people who are (momentarily at least) convinced that their morality comes from divine instruction, and that it's the only way to have "true" morality.
It's somewhat humorous to see them grasping at straws when an athiest can illustrate his/her morality (which often does align with various aspects of their own) but based on sound reasoning, not via the instruction of some celestial dictatorship.
Even more entertaining is when you can rather easily point out the immorality in various religious instructions and traditions. That's when the cognitive dissonance meter shoots all the way up.

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
Blah blah blah you guys can try to understand them as much as you like,personally I rate @capd has based so much of his person on being superior because his stance disagrees with established consensus his world would collapse to admit anything contrary. Much like when a toddler refuses to eat his veggies and then throws the plate on the ground and bashes his head throwing a tantrum.
He absolutely is incapable of understanding why what he is doing is just spiting himself and then making it everybody else's problem.

One thing I learnt from my kids:
You can't reason or convince somebody with 0 fundamental understanding of basics of what's good for them - who's just disagreeing because they want their own way,even if they injure themselves in the process. Give them time to grow up and hope they learn :ROFL:

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
Shame,seems Kory and McCullough got called out by the ABIM to potentially remove their Board Certifications for spreading disinformation - which would be quite a blow. Hope this ends up as Televised as Amber Heard's case

capd

Expert Member
Blah blah blah you guys can try to understand them as much as you like,personally I rate @capd has based so much of his person on being superior because his stance disagrees with established consensus his world would collapse to admit anything contrary. Much like when a toddler refuses to eat his veggies and then throws the plate on the ground and bashes his head throwing a tantrum.
He absolutely is incapable of understanding why what he is doing is just spiting himself and then making it everybody else's problem.

One thing I learnt from my kids:
You can't reason or convince somebody with 0 fundamental understanding of basics of what's good for them - who's just disagreeing because they want their own way,even if they injure themselves in the process. Give them time to grow up and hope they learn :ROFL:
Uh no, and I used to be firmly in your camp with the exact same beliefs.

uJochi

Yeah, once or twice per day to poke fun at this magic and wonder. What sort of tricks did you learn?
and I pop in every now and then to see this kind of coping from you, it's very funny
anyway, as you were!

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
and I pop in every now and then to see this kind of coping from you, it's very funny
anyway, as you were!
Whew, that's quite stalkerish. You might need to see someone about that

Also the distinct lack of a point is noteworthy