J&J Shot Raises Fewer Antibodies Against Delta Variant in Study

rpm

Admin
Staff member

Johnson & Johnson’s single-dose Covid vaccine produced relatively low levels of antibodies against the delta variant in a study, raising questions about how well the shot will hold up against the strain that accounts for the vast majority of U.S. cases.

The laboratory study, released on the preprint server bioRxiv, hasn’t been published in a peer-reviewed journal and focuses on one key portion of the immune response, called neutralizing antibodies.

Botha22

Most of those health workers who were vaccinated in phase 1 in SA got the J&J, so not good news.

If you have a choice in the matter seems the Pfizer is the better vaccine to get.

Daveogg

Expert Member
Most of those health workers who were vaccinated in phase 1 in SA got the J&J, so not good news.

If you have a choice in the matter seems the Pfizer is the better vaccine to get.
Maybe but their is suggestion the J&J raises a better T Cell Response.

Anecdote on/
In our trauma unit all staff have had the J&J, vaccine. So far in this wave none have tested positive. During the "disturbances" most of our staff could not get to work, so a volunteer (unvaccinated) worked in the unit for 2 days. She has now tested positive.
/Anecdote off

Jetty

Maybe but their is suggestion the J&J raises a better T Cell Response.

Anecdote on/
In our trauma unit all staff have had the J&J, vaccine. So far in this wave none have tested positive. During the "disturbances" most of our staff could not get to work, so a volunteer (unvaccinated) worked in the unit for 2 days. She has now tested positive.
/Anecdote off
Exactly

The other study showed the vaccine provided ample protection from delta Link

Real life is also showing the vaccine working as you would absolutely hear about more vaccinated healthcare workers being hospitalised if that was the case.

Mybroadband didn't even include numbers or percentages in showing how reduced the antibodies were.

This is really poor journalism guys , all you going to do stop people being bothered to get the J&J vaccine when its becomes the main available vaccine in SA.

Herr der Verboten

Executive Member

Johnson & Johnson’s single-dose Covid vaccine produced relatively low levels of antibodies against the delta variant in a study, raising questions about how well the shot will hold up against the strain that accounts for the vast majority of U.S. cases.

The laboratory study, released on the preprint server bioRxiv, hasn’t been published in a peer-reviewed journal and focuses on one key portion of the immune response, called neutralizing antibodies.
Garlic and beetroot is better?

Jetty

Here is the link to the actual paper: Link

Looks like the authors are just pushing for boosters.
Going through the paper & I'm really not seeing this showing Delta as any worse than Beta ( South African variant) . The titers are no lower and are often higher for Delta/Lambda than for Beta.

We know from real-life the vaccine is effective against beta & according to the paper , J&J performs worse against Beta.
A Booster was never claimed to be required for beta, so I have no idea why a booster is suddenly required for delta

Anyway , its looks like the vaccine is still pretty effective against delta.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Sir they cancelled covid - not a fair comparison with the west.
I'm still baffled over how China is literally ignored on this context, whilst the West is still scurrying about arguing over whether masks work.

ajan

I'm still baffled over how China is literally ignored on this context, whilst the West is still scurrying about arguing over whether masks work.
Because in China, the science is settled by decree of bureaucratic decision making. There's no need for opposition thought to what winnie the pooh says. I mean if I was a scientist, I wouldn't dare speak out against the party's ruling if it meant facing a life time of forced labour in some re-education camp. The west is soon to reach this point.

Sapphiron

Expert Member
I wonder if there are any good studies on how Covid spread in relation to how disciplined a society is.

On the face of it, countries with high levels of compliance with the law and general discipline, seems to have faired the best. i.e. China, Japan, New Zealand, Israel, Vietnam, Thailand etc.

Compared to the countries with high levels of social unrest and "contrarian/wilful ignorance" cultures did the worst. i.e.
USA, UK, India, Brazil, South Africa.

Of course there are lots of other factors that affected those countries in other ways as well, like poverty and inequality, heathcare systems.

wroemwroem

Any vaccine is better than no vaccine, and that is still a fact.

MyBB news authors, please take your clickbait titles and go back to writing a 10th article on bitcoin or the 20th article on DSTV. Maybe a 15th one on Eskom and how there's "dark days ahead". Don't pull this crap "Bad news about Johnson & Johnson’s single-dose Covid vaccine" on stuff that is medically important and have real world implications. You're stirring the pot for a reaction and for clicks and you know it.

The effectiveness of vaccines are correlated to the seriousness of sickness - i.e. they are extremely effective in preventing death, very effective in preventing ICU, moderately effective in preventing hospitalisation, etc., and the 'lower efficacies' reported often are more to do with the less serious effects, like the inability to smell your fart for two weeks and triggering a covid-positive test when flying out to meet your wife's sister at a secluded lodge in Augrabies.

krycor

Honorary Master
Any vaccine is better than no vaccine.

I do wonder if we will see a 2.0 az happen.. i.e. scientist say we should abandon it.. 4months later with a stalling program, you'all and scientist criticize gov for not using it despite being hypocrites.

Jetty

I do wonder if we will see a 2.0 az happen.. i.e. scientist say we should abandon it.. 4months later with a stalling program, you'all and scientist criticize gov for not using it despite being hypocrites.
It wasn't "all scientists"

It was MAC who decided not to use the AZ vaccine which went against the advice of many scientists and the WHO

JohnStarr

Executive Member

I don't think you get a choice. Maybe if you register on multiple sites like Discovery & Dischem, and then find out what they are administering.