J&J vaccine reduces chance of getting Covid-19 infection by half - SA study

Lupus

Honorary Master
Only 70% effective against hospitalization? That's not good...

I wonder if there were other contributing factors. But 3 out of 10 vaccinated people ending up in hospital won't be good enough to prevent future waves and hospitals being overrun.
Well you've got to take it more like 1 in 100 chance of getting it first, then from that there is a 10 in 100 of those who will get it pretty seriously, so then from that 10 there are 3 who could but that goes down with vaccines and and and.
Numbers are weird

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Well you've got to take it more like 1 in 100 chance of getting it first, then from that there is a 10 in 100 of those who will get it pretty seriously, so then from that 10 there are 3 who could but that goes down with vaccines and and and.
Numbers are weird
Good points, but compared to Pfizer at 90%+, it's not as protective. I'm still saying its a great vaccine. Maybe they need a second dose..

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Still think it's pretty good odds to be fair :)
Yeah, I'm happy with my one dose. They can take their boosters and jab em in where the sun don't shine, I'm not sticking anything else covid related into my body.

brilliantt

I wonder if there were other contributing factors. But 3 out of 10 vaccinated people ending up in hospital won't be good enough to prevent future waves and hospitals being overrun.
2.6 of those 3 people will recover. So, it's a matter of saving one's life.

lumeer

Expert Member

That figure means that the hospitalisation rate amongst the vaccinated was 30% that of the control group, not that 30% of vaccinated individuals get hospitalised.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Numbers are weird
So do you multiply those probabilities/odds to get the total probability/odds or do you add them?
This is a test for all those who claim to be so good at stats.

richjdavies

Expert Member

Thats NOT what 70% effective means!

Say there were 1000.people who got COVID and they werent vaccinated then say 99% of them are fine... So 10 if them end up in hospital and 5 of then die.

With a vaccine that is 70% effective only 3 end up in hospital and basically 1 or 0 die...

Come on now, spend some time to understand the numbers.

Its like saying this car is 50% faster than this one.
"Duh, it only goes 50 kmph... What a crap car".
50% is not the same as 50 kmph!?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Yeah, I'm happy with my one dose. They can take their boosters and jab em in where the sun don't shine, I'm not sticking anything else covid related into my body.
But the bug is going to get you when you least expect it, and, now you may not even know you got it and hence you might not even be able to pin point where and when you got it.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
But the bug is going to get you when you least expect it, and, now you may not even know you got it and hence you might not even be able to pin point where and when you got it.
9630c572-5e49-483a-a655-d7d54436c1f9.jpg

Lupus

Honorary Master
So do you multiply those probabilities/odds to get the total probability/odds or do you add them?
This is a test for all those who claim to be so good at stats.
No idea to be honest I got lost around about the second 10

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
That figure means that the hospitalisation rate amongst the vaccinated was 30% that of the control group, not that 30% of vaccinated individuals get hospitalised.
Only if the twitter nerd approves of the calculation.......