J&J vaccine reduces chance of getting Covid-19 infection by half - SA study

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Shame, poor #TeamPfizer.

Shiit...I'm #TeamPfizer...
Canada is doing a study on having both J+J and Astra(I think).

I'd be keen to double drop depending on the outcome. Hopefully someone is also testing the J+J and Pfizer combo.

Daveogg

Expert Member
Same thing happens most years with the more serious and resistant flu's. And the likes of the UK and the US have been cutting down on hospitals for many years now.

There's always another side.
But certainly thanks for your efforts there.
No it's doesn't.
And before you ask 27yrs post qualified. Majority in emergency medicine. 4 yrs UK NHS. Rest State and Private in SA. I can only remember elective surgery being cancelled once before in a hospital that I was working at, that was when the state hospitals went on strike circa 1996??

In the past 18 months elective surgery has been cancelled for approx 8 months. As one simple metric of the significance of Covid admissions.

Brian_G

Executive Member
One last comment
No it's doesn't.
And before you ask 27yrs post qualified. Majority in emergency medicine. 4 yrs UK NHS. Rest State and Private in SA. I can only remember elective surgery being cancelled once before in a hospital that I was working at, that was when the state hospitals went on strike circa 1996??

In the past 18 months elective surgery has been cancelled for approx 8 months. As one simple metric of the significance of Covid admissions.
Dave, with respect, firstly I know you're well qualified, and I have come to like your efforts here. I'm talking about the resistant strains that have been filling many international hospitals for years, and though not every year I'm sure you know how much the press has covered that.

Further, I'm not too interested in those who want to endlessly debate how righteous the vax crowd is. Nor even those who push the anti agenda. I know my research has been careful and is therefore largely sound, and respect all others' rights to do similar in their decision making.

Only thing left to say is with so much smoke there's clearly a fire. Good luck to all.

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
@pouroverguy out of interest. How many of those 300 cases are fat ****s with co-morbidities?

And are you guys sending them home with diet and exercise plans?
We are comparing to the flu here so I need to check quick: the flu only infects people who are height/weight proportionate?

Brian_G

Executive Member
Back on topic, if I were considering the jab (*mumbles to himself*) then it would be J&J. No ways is experimental mRNA coming near me o_O

I know it's thought harmless enough and isn't messing with DNA, though it's still basic genetics. Humans aren't ethical or careful enough IMO.

Then again, I eat chocolates that have genetically modified components, even though I swore never to. But something this heavy, needs to be a real plague first.

calvin-

Half? Works for me. I'll take those odds.
Yeah. But what a lot of people are forgetting is that this was the Sisonke trial. So, the results will be skewed because the trial population are not really random.

The trial population was health workers, a population more likely to be exposed to, and catch Covid-19.

The Ensamble trial, with a "random" double blind population shows better efficacy...

Disclaimer: I'm an Ensamble guinea pig....

Reactions: "D"

"D"

Expert Member
Half? Works for me. I'll take those odds.
That you did.
I have 22 days to go for being fully vaccinated... Though I am sure that there will be Pfizer booster shots, I am curious with what will be considered as an appropriate mixer shot for J&J in our sphere of the pandemic?
Fly to Zim, get the Sputnik, volunteer in immortality study.

Mirai

Expert Member
No it's doesn't.

I can attest. The only time that there was trouble, or concerns about possible trouble, was in the run up to Y2K. That turned out to be a false alarm of course.

Certainly a great deal happened last year and during the 2nd wave that has not occurred in decades.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
That you did.
Yep - one and done. Fully vaccinated as far as the government is concerned which means one less person holding us back in terms of opening up the country. If they want me to take a booster fine, if they want me to switch to a different protocol, fine.

SA has been in lockdown for more than 500 days. I'd really love to visit my mother in England, or have her visit me, without having to pay a fortune to stay in a crappy hotel for ten days. That means vaccinations.
Yeah. But what a lot of people are forgetting is that this was the Sisonke trial. So, the results will be skewed because the trial population are not really random.
Fair enough but honestly 50%, or much much less if I'm being honest, works for me. I did it for the paperwork.

Mirai

Expert Member
Back on topic, if I were considering the jab (*mumbles to himself*) then it would be J&J. No ways is experimental mRNA coming near me o_O

I know it's thought harmless enough and isn't messing with DNA, though it's still basic genetics. Humans aren't ethical or careful enough IMO.

Then again, I eat chocolates that have genetically modified components, even though I swore never to. But something this heavy, needs to be a real plague first.

I don't get why people are scared of mRNA. It cannot be copied into the genome. And you have to balance that vs the risk of having uncontrolled SARS-CoV-2 replication as the virus has its own polymerase enzyme which copies its genetic code to make "baby" Sars-CoV-2-tjies. What you get from the vax is peanuts compared to that.

Brian_G

Executive Member
What you get from the vax is peanuts compared to that.
Happy to use medicine when needed, but will much prefer nature - despite her temper tantrums she's the reason we even exist here, and is usually balanced. Usually...

Also not fond of rushed precedents when it comes to pushing the boundaries.

Brian_G

Executive Member
I best add that I have relatively no faith in this particular set of vaxes, mostly due to the suspicious politics which so many are concerned about. Certainly don't believe the herd immunity theory either, was discussed to death in the main covid threads for months with puhlenty of very valid source material.

Probably more about the vax passport though, for now anyway.

I'm leaving it there, very tired of the subject.

dablakmark8

Honorary Master
Actually if you're not in hospital, that would be counted as mild, people seem to think mild means you barely feel it. But it actually is basically you're not in hospital, you're still functioning even if it's at an impaired state.
The fact that you're still posting on here means it's not serious.
no not hectic sick but enough to puke and have cold sweats no days and ly in bed for 3 cause body is sore.no work for a week and only now getting better

"D"

Expert Member
I am curious with what will be considered as an appropriate mixer shot for J&J in our sphere of the pandemic?
Maybe they need a second dose..
Yeah, I'm happy with my one dose. They can take their boosters and jab em in where the sun don't shine

i wish i had the other 2 jab one...really I wish.

richjdavies

Expert Member
Take a group of 1000 people unvaccinated that test positive, so 15% of unvaccinated are hospitalized: 150 people.

Now, let's say the vaccine is 50% protective against infection, so that means of 1000 people exposed, only 500 "test positive". 500 people.

Now 70% of the hospitalizations will be 150 unvaccinated. ie: 70% = 150 people, so 30% = 64 vaccinated in hospital.
Nope. The bold bit is wrong.
50% effective is vs. not being vaccinated, not vs being infected if you were exposed. If you were exposed theres only say a 10% chance of getting infected, then with a 50% effective vaccine that drops to 5%.