Jacob Zuma openly defies Zondo commission, says he is ready to be jailed

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
OT, but this took a WHILE...

Zuma’s long-awaited day in court finally set​

The KwaZulu-Natal High Court in Pietermaritzburg has finally set a date for the corruption and racketeering trial against former president Jacob Zuma and Thales.​

Former president Jacob Zuma and French arms dealer Thales will finally go on trial in May.

The corruption case against the two came before Judge Nkosinathi Chili, sitting in the KwaZulu-Natal High Court in Pietermaritzburg, briefly on Tuesday morning. The accused were not in court but were represented by their legal teams.

The case was last in court in December, when it was postponed to Tuesday for various pre-trial issues to be resolved and for the trial dates finally to be set.

On Tuesday, state advocate Billy Downer told the court the parties were now all ready to proceed to trial and had agreed to set the matter down from 17 May until 20 June this year.

He said, however, that there were more than 200 state witnesses and that the trial would in all likelihood run over two terms so further dates are expected to be added after June.

I didn't know where the original thread was. This is the best chance to see Zuma pay the time.

TelkomUseless

Executive Member
OT, but this took a WHILE...

I didn't know where the original thread was. This is the best chance to see Zuma pay the time.
I wonder if JZ would go to jail to avoid his day in court...

surface

Honorary Master
Problem is, if he is in jail he can't avoid his day in court. They will bring him to court from jail and he will have no say in the matter :D
Live stream his arrest and jail stay and clear the national debt in a month. I will pay good money for this Mboweni.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
He said he is ready for jail, He could spare the tax payer a lot of money and just do as he said.
Don't pass start, go to jail.

He also most recently said this,

Truant Jacob Zuma tells ANC the law is too soft and lacks bite​

Social cohesion panel hears former president complain you can’t call a crime by its name, but have to use the word ‘suspect’​

Former president Jacob Zuma, who recently violated a Constitutional Court order himself and is facing a number of criminal charges, says SA laws are not strict enough and are partially to blame for a lack of social cohesion in the country.

In his presentation to an ANC virtual session on social cohesion, Zuma stayed clear of his own transgression of the law and opted to lecture those who attended on political tolerance and mature debate.

Speaking during the virtual gathering on Sunday, Zuma said the country’s laws take a “soft” stance, even against those who commit heinous crimes.

“For an example, today, if I commit a crime, if I kill somebody in front of all of you, the laws of this country say you can’t say this person is being arrested or charged because he’s killed a person, it says we must say we suspect this man has killed this person. That’s the softness of the law.”

He also attacked the country’s bail laws. “Today, if I committed a crime, no matter how serious, I have a right to apply for bail,” he said.

He added: “I think our laws are not biting enough. They are not dealing with people enough. For example, people who were sentenced to life imprisonment, it is always known they will be out in 20 years.”

and ironically he is right, but his own remarks evade his own actions.

Why our law cannot deem this to be in the national importance, within the public and constitutional interest, to urgently pursue Zuma is beyond me. I am sure the ANC have a hand in this, and those connected, to protect their own interests by guarding Zuma.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
but he'll say he didn't prep lol... you know he is king of Africa and excuses...

He doesn't have to "prep", he becomes a ward of the state if he is in jail and if the state requires him to be in the court on x date for a trail he will be in court regardless of his excuses actually.

Granted, I don't expect him to be in jail anytime soon for his contempt charges but hey, its a nice thought to play with.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Live stream his arrest and jail stay and clear the national debt in a month. I will pay good money for this Mboweni.

Fsck yeah, I'll pay money for that too...

Best paid live stream of the century I reckon. Possibly even internationally :p

Solarion

Honorary Master
Businessman Auswell Mashaba of Swifambo Rail Leasing may be the first person to follow in the footsteps of former president Jacob Zuma and refuse to comply with a summons issued by the Zondo commission.

Refuse all you want. Either come quietly or come screaming and kicking. Either way you are going to get fetched.